Rx 550(4 GB) vs. Gtx 750 ti(2 GB)

setoran0
Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

750 Ti

Hi, I'm building a computer on a small budget and I found both a rx 550 4gb, and a gtx 750 ti 2 gb in my area. Both are a resealable price and are in good condition, but I don't know which one to pick since the rx 550 has 4gb of ram and dx 12 support but the gtx 750 ti performs better in most games.

I'm planning to mainly run gta and fortnite, so witch one should I buy?

750 Ti

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Whats the price? What are the other specs of the system? Whats the total budget and gpu budget?

Depends what games u wanna play?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Whats the price? What are the other specs of the system? Whats the total budget and gpu budget?

The cpu would be the i5 3470, because that's the highest perfoming lga 1155 that's a resealable price.

The 550 is the better card, it can run FSR better and get better performance, more VRAM as well. The 750 Ti is a poor card without the cooling or better builds of some RX 550.

16 minutes ago, podkall said:

Depends what games u wanna play?

I will play fortnite with my friend , gta 5, minecraft and lauge of legends.

4 minutes ago, setoran0 said:

The cpu would be the i5 3470, because that's the highest perfoming lga 1155 that's a resealable price.

Any reason you are going for something that old? It being a old quad core i5 makes it a very poor choice for modern games.

Also worth mentioning that there's no Fast Sync on the 750 Ti, however there is Enhanced Sync on the 550. This might be essential for preventing jaggies from happening when you get at least twice as much FPS as your refresh rate, if you don't have sync monitor.

10 hours ago, setoran0 said:

I will play fortnite with my friend , gta 5, minecraft and lauge of legends.

Based on those games that sounds like 750 ti would be better:

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

Any reason you are going for something that old? It being a old quad core i5 makes it a very poor choice for modern games.

11 hours ago, setoran0 said:

I'm building a computer on a small budget

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yeah, but I'm not the kind of person who likes to spend much money on a hobby and all I need is 60 fps in fortnite.

12 hours ago, aisle9 said:

750 Ti

Thanks for suggesting the gtx 750 ti, now that I have looked at some comparison, I see how much better the gtx 750 ti is, I'm probably gonna go with the gtx 750 ti. Thanks 

3 hours ago, setoran0 said:

Yeah, but I'm not the kind of person who likes to spend much money on a hobby and all I need is 60 fps in fortnite.

I mean it all depends but an office dell with a 4770 or 4790 is about 150$ with 8gb of ram and a ssd then slap a 750ti in it an you are done.

16 hours ago, Motifator said:

The 550 is the better card, it can run FSR better and get better performance, more VRAM as well. The 750 Ti is a poor card without the cooling or better builds of some RX 550.

The RX 550 is a glorified display adapter. The 750 Ti, while it is an old card lacking driver support, is still a better choice for the games the OP has listed. I have an XP gaming rig with a 750 Ti and a HTPC with an RX 550. The 550 has its place and is a useful card if you find it at the right price, but I wouldn't use it in a gaming rig. It's too weak for modern games and resolutions, and lacks the legacy support for a "retro gamer" setup.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The RX 550 is a glorified display adapter. The 750 Ti, while it is an old card lacking driver support, is still a better choice for the games the OP has listed. I have an XP gaming rig with a 750 Ti and a HTPC with an RX 550. The 550 has its place and is a useful card if you find it at the right price, but I wouldn't use it in a gaming rig. It's too weak for modern games and resolutions, and lacks the legacy support for a "retro gamer" setup.

2gb VRAM is absolute dog shit. You can't even map the full 2gb, the limitation is probably closer to 1.5gb, making this an un-useable card realistically thinking.

550 is the much better card, you simply don't get the reasons I mentioned why.

13 minutes ago, Motifator said:

2gb VRAM is absolute dog shit. You can't even map the full 2gb, the limitation is probably closer to 1.5gb, making this an un-useable card realistically thinking.

550 is the much better card, you simply don't get the reasons I mentioned why.

I do, actually, and if the OP was trying to play Cyberpunk at 720p or something, I'd probably go with the 550 for that reason. But looking at the games they want to play and the hardware they're putting around it, the 750 Ti is just a better card for the job. If the RX 550 is way cheaper somehow, also something to consider. But going apples to apples with the use case provided, the 750 Ti is the better of the two for the job. 2GB VRAM is not a killer on GTA 5 when there's an i5-3470 running the show in the background.

My post wasn't intended as a shot at you, sorry if it came off that way. For what it's worth, I do actually really like my RX 550. It's just not the best option for this situation when there's a 750 Ti on the table next to it.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I do, actually, and if the OP was trying to play Cyberpunk at 720p or something, I'd probably go with the 550 for that reason. But looking at the games they want to play and the hardware they're putting around it, the 750 Ti is just a better card for the job. If the RX 550 is way cheaper somehow, also something to consider. But going apples to apples with the use case provided, the 750 Ti is the better of the two for the job. 2GB VRAM is not a killer on GTA 5 when there's an i5-3470 running the show in the background.

My post wasn't intended as a shot at you, sorry if it came off that way. For what it's worth, I do actually really like my RX 550. It's just not the best option for this situation when there's a 750 Ti on the table next to it.

The 750 Ti is by no means a better card than the 550, it's much older technically and driver support is going to be worse. Newer drivers will make it perform better, plus, overclocking potential is probably higher due to being a cut down Polaris GPU.

Also, it's not about FPS all-time. You don't have any form of sync except v-sync on the 750 Ti and that sucks hard if you don't have a Free or G-Sync compatible monitor. When you burst a lot of FPS, the 550 will get Enhanced Sync right, thereby preventing potential tearing.

Lower power consumption, and FSR 2.0. There is no DLSS on the 750 Ti and I bet its FSR implementation even if there's any proper form, is about as useful as a guy trying to stand still over an oiled stake over the sea as a show. Aka the 750 Ti is ultimately a useless card.