Pc to surround sound and 4k

Drizzt

Hello,

I want to setup surround sound from my pc and play some games in 4k off my tv. I was thinking of sending an hdmi cable to my receiver for audio, and then hdmi 2.1 to the tv for 4k video. Is this the best practice?

I would believe so, I'd think the AVR will add latency so if you're sensitive to that perhaps run one cable to the AVR and a separate to the TV and set it as a "dual monitor" setup?  Not sure if that'll work but I don't see why not, just don't send video to the AVR?  I'm just spit balling really, I ran like you were talking about for 7 or so years and didn't have any problems, but I'm not affected all that much by latency.

Would love if they could get to some AVR testing at the lab some day but that's pretty niche

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

1 minute ago, Psittac said:

I would believe so, I'd think the AVR will add latency so if you're sensitive to that perhaps run one cable to the AVR and a separate to the TV and set it as a "dual monitor" setup?  Not sure if that'll work but I don't see why not, just don't send video to the AVR?  I'm just spit balling really, I ran like you were talking about for 7 or so years and didn't have any problems, but I'm not affected all that much by latency.

Would love if they could get to some AVR testing at the lab some day but that's pretty niche

This was my thinking. I assumed the avr would add latency and a direct connection would be best. Do you think running an hdmi from the gpu to the avr would reduce fps in game?

18 minutes ago, Drizzt said:

This was my thinking. I assumed the avr would add latency and a direct connection would be best. Do you think running an hdmi from the gpu to the avr would reduce fps in game?

I wouldn't think so, but I'm just guessing.  Would have to do some testing to find out

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

45 minutes ago, Drizzt said:

Hello,

I want to setup surround sound from my pc and play some games in 4k off my tv. I was thinking of sending an hdmi cable to my receiver for audio, and then hdmi 2.1 to the tv for 4k video. Is this the best practice?

There are only 2 options.

1. Plug PC HDMI directly into TV and then use eARC for audio to receiver.

2. Plug PC HDMI into receiver and then hdmi from receiver to TV for video.

There is also option 3 which is plug PC into TV and receiver at same time but this requires dual HDMI outputs or adapters on your GPU.

P.S. If you are worried about every millisecond of latency then don't game on a TV.

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

There are only 2 options.

1. Plug PC HDMI directly into TV and then use eARC for audio to receiver.

2. Plug PC HDMI into receiver and then hdmi from receiver to TV for video.

There is also option 3 which is plug PC into TV and receiver at same time but this requires dual HDMI outputs or adapters on your GPU.

P.S. If you are worried about every millisecond of latency then don't game on a TV.

I picked up a lg c2. It supposedly has low latency.

There's also opitcal audio but I would prefer to have the highest level of surround sound.

19 hours ago, Drizzt said:

I picked up a lg c2. It supposedly has low latency.

There's also opitcal audio but I would prefer to have the highest level of surround sound.

if your avr doesnt have hdmi 2.1 then the best option is running dual monitor and go comp to tv and comp to avr.
earc on lg outside input then to earc to avr doesnt work correctly. the tv apps work just fine with earc and surround.

but honestly the best is upgrade avr to one with hdmi 2.1 and go comp to avr (set bypass video) to tv.

52 minutes ago, circeseye said:

if your avr doesnt have hdmi 2.1 then the best option is running dual monitor and go comp to tv and comp to avr.
earc on lg outside input then to earc to avr doesnt work correctly. the tv apps work just fine with earc and surround.

but honestly the best is upgrade avr to one with hdmi 2.1 and go comp to avr (set bypass video) to tv.

Odd you say eARC from TV to AVR wouldn't work correctly, what exactly do you mean?

Granted my preferred connection is two HDMI cables, one from GPU to TV & one to AVR, but eARC method also works fine for me. The only headache was my C1's lack of DTS support. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

2 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

Odd you say eARC from TV to AVR wouldn't work correctly, what exactly do you mean?

Granted my preferred connection is two HDMI cables, one from GPU to TV & one to AVR, but eARC method also works fine for me. The only headache was my C1's lack of DTS support. 

going comp to tv to avr with earc. it comes out stereo....i have never got a lg tv to do any form of surround with earc except with the built in apps. thats been the issue ive found. even tried running a firestick or roku still lg earc sends stereo....and ive exhausted everything....just can only get lg built in apps to send any surround

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

going comp to tv to avr with earc. it comes out stereo....i have never got a lg tv to do any form of surround with earc except with the built in apps. thats been the issue ive found. even tried running a firestick or roku still lg earc sends stereo....and ive exhausted everything....just can only get lg built in apps to send any surround

Don't know which LG you have but I've never had any problems with earc on my 2019 OLED. I get 7.1 PCM and Atmos from my PC. I also have my PS5 on earc and get 7.1 PCM.

50 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Don't know which LG you have but I've never had any problems with earc on my 2019 OLED. I get 7.1 PCM and Atmos from my PC. I also have my PS5 on earc and get 7.1 PCM.

nano90 and a c1. no matter what setting i use my denon says stereo and all i hear is stereo

On 11/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, circeseye said:

nano90 and a c1. no matter what setting i use my denon says stereo and all i hear is stereo

Have you tried using CRU and edit audio format to support max 8 channels LPCM (and various formats such as DTS-HD, TrueHD) and speaker setup to 7.1?

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

9 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

Have you tried using CRU and edit audio format to support max 8 channels LPCM (and various formats such as DTS-HD, TrueHD) and speaker setup to 7.1?

yep. tried every setting combo on the comp the tv and avr. but no matter what, what ever goes into tv comes out stereo on earc. my avr has hdmi 2.1 so i can go though it now and its all good.