is firefox a chrome based browser

bezza...

i recently started using firefox on my windows pc.

image.thumb.png.d6ff8d9c775af391bb0d4c0fcd1f0fcf.png

No. Firefox is based off the Gecko layout engine, which has roots dating back to Netscape Navigator in the late 90s. It's not built on Chromium.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

No. Firefox is based off the Gecko layout engine, which has roots dating back to Netscape Navigator in the late 90s. It's not built on Chromium.

just because it says search with google and has the google logo where i search (see picture)

2 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

just because it says search with google and has the google logo where i search (see picture)

The search bar has absolutely nothing to do with the layout engine.

Google pays the Mozilla Foundation to have their search as the out-of-the-box default in Firefox. You can change it to whatever you want.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/15/21370020/mozilla-google-firefox-search-engine-browser

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-your-default-search-settings-firefox

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

i recently started using firefox on my windows pc.

image.thumb.png.d6ff8d9c775af391bb0d4c0fcd1f0fcf.png

No. Firefox does not use the chromium HTML rendering engine, and it does not use the V8 javascript engine.

The fact that Firefox has become "chrome-like" enough that I've sometimes mistaken one for the other, is a problem with Firefox's own branding. Nothing else.

That said, the default search engine has nothing to do with who makes the browser. 

Firefox does not use the chromium rendering engine but theirnown gecko engine which has been in development since the 90s (hence the great backwards compatibility with legacy sites).

The search engine is just that a search engine and in firefox google is the default because google pays them for it. You can with 3 clicks change it to whatever you wish.

Also tip of the day use ublock origin for the best add free internet experience you can have. It works multiple times better on firefox as firefox does not limit adblockers

On 11/2/2022 at 11:36 AM, jaslion said:

Firefox does not use the chromium rendering engine but theirnown gecko engine which has been in development since the 90s (hence the great backwards compatibility with legacy sites).

The search engine is just that a search engine and in firefox google is the default because google pays them for it. You can with 3 clicks change it to whatever you wish.

Also tip of the day use ublock origin for the best add free internet experience you can have. It works multiple times better on firefox as firefox does not limit adblockers

so how do i change it cus when i search somthing this comes up. this looks like google to me

image.thumb.png.0f6a3f950db0b486ffc35e97dafa7b11.png

image.png

On 11/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, Kisai said:

No. Firefox does not use the chromium HTML rendering engine, and it does not use the V8 javascript engine.

The fact that Firefox has become "chrome-like" enough that I've sometimes mistaken one for the other, is a problem with Firefox's own branding. Nothing else.

That said, the default search engine has nothing to do with who makes the browser. 

is this chrome like or chrome? this is on firefox

image.thumb.png.2d37047911a342e8056c06ed7c043f21.png

On 11/2/2022 at 11:26 AM, Needfuldoer said:

The search bar has absolutely nothing to do with the layout engine.

Google pays the Mozilla Foundation to have their search as the out-of-the-box default in Firefox. You can change it to whatever you want.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/15/21370020/mozilla-google-firefox-search-engine-browser

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-your-default-search-settings-firefox

what shoud i sellect as my search engen?

image.png.6d9cb9c0c88c082b017d1381853a789a.png

1 minute ago, Tomberry said:

is this chrome like or chrome? this is on firefox

image.thumb.png.2d37047911a342e8056c06ed7c043f21.png

The problem is the UI looks "too much" like chrome. For example, here's firefox, opera, edge and chrome on the same site:

image.png.23d630ed1cd03e755ac9af0ecfbed692.png

image.thumb.png.c9232c21c696cc5dc5425635c6f1b5c9.png

image.thumb.png.c4d800342546e55cdea7f8747f5fbc8c.png

image.png.2ce8ea5fca9dae9b2b442da25b2e1d54.png

Can you tell which is which? Because if I expose the "title bar" part of the browser, you'd notice there is no chrome icon for Chrome, no Edge icon for Edge. Only Firefox and Opera have their browser branding visible.

This was not always the case with firefox either.

5 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

what shoud i sellect as my search engen?

image.png.6d9cb9c0c88c082b017d1381853a789a.png

Bing is a good choice especially for images

DuckDuckGo USED to be good for privacy but not so much anymore

You should be able to right click on an empty area around that address bar and select Customize, if my memory is correct. (I'm at work where we have Chrome, at home I use Firefox)

In the customization mode, you can add a small dedicated search box - I put it to the right of the address bar usually with a vertical spacer "gadget" between them . If you type in that box something, as you type a list pops under the text field with suggestions and also with icons for the search providers so you can just type what you want to search and then click on the icons (google, duck duck, bing, amazon, whatever - you can add more from settings)

next time you search , it will default to that until you select another icon

In the Customize mode, I also like to add a "new window" or "new tab" button to the left of the getting started bookmark , but now I think you can just double click some open space in the bar with tabs to get a new tab opened.

Honestly if you're starting fresh, the best thing to use would be a customized Chrome / custom Chromium based browser. It will be more modern with Javascript support, and safer due to some stuff. The reason I no longer suggest regular Chrome for fresh installs is, they'll prevent adblockers from functioning on it some time in the future.