GPU Usage/Power never constant 100%

frozensun

Hi friends.

I was looking at FPS in the video,and I noticed something that in my case does not fit.

I have same GPU, though with CPU 6700K and my GPU usage  or is power is never 100% all the time.

I will check if it's GPU usage or GPU power and report back but I didn't undervolt the card in MSI AB, though I did setup custom fan curve.

What could cause this issue and how to resolve it?
The video the guy did,though with much better CPU:
Could it be that 6700K is bottleneck to 2080 Super,  I don't think so, at 1440P .

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

CPU bottleneck, your CPU is old and can't send enough renders to fully load the GPU...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just checked it, GPU usage going as low as 72 % and maxes out at 94 % but never 100% all the time.

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

CPU bottleneck, your CPU is old and can't send enough renders to fully load the GPU...

My CPU is recommended so should be more then enough 6700K/7700K almost same CPU.
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-au/help/far-cry-6/article/system-requirements-for-far-cry-6/000098943

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Just checked it, GPU usage going as low as 72 % and maxes out at 94 % but never 100% all the time.

My CPU is recommended so should be more then enough 6700K/7700K almost same CPU.
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-au/help/far-cry-6/article/system-requirements-for-far-cry-6/000098943

That the CPU is strong enough to be "recommended" for a game don't mean you won't be bottlenecked on a much more recent GPU 

And it's not that big of a bottleneck if you reach 80%+

It's still an old 4C/8T processor from 2016, even a 12100 is better...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

That the CPU is strong enough to be "recommended" for a game don't mean you won't be bottlenecked on a much more recent GPU 

And it's not that big of a bottleneck if you reach 80%+

It's still an old 4C/8T processor from 2016, even a 12100 is better...

This CPU is more then fine for Far Cry 6, besides higher rez is GPU bound.
If they recommended 7700 that means my 6700K is okay for gaming.
I don't think it's a bottleneck CPU.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

What do you think it is then ?

Try to play @1080p low settings, the GPU usage should be even much lower, and at 4K you should see GPU at 100%, that's how it works

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Recommended system specs are the specs you need to run the game at nice graphical settings with a good frame rate. They mean nothing about how much the hardware will be utilized. 

At no point have you mentioned anything about frame rate or how the game actually runs. You've also started threads very much the same as this before:

I would recommend turning off your hardware utilization monitoring so you stop obsessing over stuff like this and simply enjoy playing games. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I am uploading video.

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Recommended system specs are the specs you need to run the game at nice graphical settings with a good frame rate. They mean nothing about how much the hardware will be utilized. 

At no point have you mentioned anything about frame rate or how the game actually runs. You've also started threads very much the same as this before:

I would recommend turning off your hardware utilization monitoring so you stop obsessing over stuff like this and simply enjoy playing games. 

Damn I really forget that I asked that previously...
I must be having some issue power related because I don't see even PWR reaching 100 %.

But I do remember it is game releated.

I don't have issues with GPU testing apps like Furmark,Kombustor etc...power is 100% as it is GPU usage.

So I'm confused now.

I mean I can easily figure out and throw out CPU from equation, just move GPU to other rig install Far Cry 6 and report back.

But I am sure I am sure this CPU is more then enough for Far Cry 6 (4C/8T).

Do you want me to try at 1080p?

Here is benchmark with FC6.

Is this normal:

Does not look normal to me, neither of values is not even hiting 100%.

Unigine Heaven (1440P all maxed out), GPU USAGE=99-100% (constant).

GPU PWR between 82% and 94 %.

Hmm so I suppose it is not power releated.

Then what is left if I think better is CPU bottleneck.

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Enable DSR and play at 4K and note what you see. 

set resolution scale to 1.5(I suppose renders game at 4K)  and got 5-6 fps constant (gaming is useless), GPU usage at 100 % all the time, but GPU power between 40-50 % 😕

Instead of power, you'll want to know the actual draw in wattage. Additionally, you'll want to monitor that inline with clockspeed. In fact the only real way to get an accurate picture is to look at Usage, Clockspeed and Power in Watts at the same time, just one doesn't tell you everything. 

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Heaven is a GPU benchmark and isn't going to hit the CPU with any kind of load at all so that makes sense. 

In older titles Batman Arkham KNight and Fallout 4 I even get lower GPU usage,instead I should get 100% all the time....I probably have waaaaay overkill CPU for those games.

That does not make sense...

25 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Instead of power, you'll want to know the actual draw in wattage. Additionally, you'll want to monitor that inline with clockspeed. In fact the only real way to get an accurate picture is to look at Usage, Clockspeed and Power in Watts at the same time, just one doesn't tell you everything. 

Okay, I did log at 1440p maxed out all the details at ultra and did benchmark.

Log file in the att. Your opinion?

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

But that would lower FPS too,or not?
I'm satisfied with my FPS just became obsessed because I don't recall any game nor even older with GPU usage to 100 % which makes me think I have some software or hardware power issue related.

11 minutes ago, frozensun said:

There's a happy medium here. If your CPU can only tell the GPU what it needs to make 150 times a second and you're telling it to make low detail pictures, the GPU has time to wait. If you bump up details to where the GPU is also making 150 pictures a second, then both are doing things at 150 times a second for 150 fps. No fps loss and higher details. You'd have to play with specific settings 1 by 1 to find the happy medium. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

30 minutes ago, frozensun said:

In older titles Batman Arkham KNight and Fallout 4 I even get lower GPU usage,instead I should get 100% all the time....I probably have waaaaay overkill CPU for those games.

That does not make sense...

Batman has a 90FPS MAXCAP (internally as an option) without editing the config file, your stuck at 90FPS, if your GPU can do more than that, yes, GPU usage will drop.

Fallout 4, 60FPS Cap if I remember right... so if thats the case, and your GPU can go higher, with the CAP, you'll be lower than 100% GPU.

Not all games are EQUAL or have full GPU bound scenarios due to enforced FPS caps.

Other games sometimes use only 1-2 cores of your multicore system (whether that load is spread out or not), and usually get CPU bound pretty quick at higher framerates.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

13 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

There's a happy medium here. If your CPU can only tell the GPU what it needs to make 150 times a second and you're telling it to make low detail pictures, the GPU has time to wait. If you bump up details to where the GPU is also making 150 pictures a second, then both are doing things at 150 times a second for 150 fps. No fps loss and higher details. You'd have to play with specific settings 1 by 1 to find the happy medium. 

Okay.

I have other rig, with 3900X.

So installing 2080 Super to that rig would get me  100% GPU usage?

I mean I have good FPS around 75 to 90, it os just that I am obsessed with my GPU Usage not going 100%.

But what is with power not going 100%?

I don't want to throw money and buy again new rig just for +10 fps because of a CPU bottleneck.

What I am curious to know is that would CPU bottleneck in games lower FPS and around how much?

53 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I'm satisfied with my FPS just became obsessed because I don't recall any game nor even older with GPU usage to 100 % which makes me think I have some software or hardware power issue related.

As long as you're CPU bound the rez and graphics settings won't decrease FPS, you should test for example playing CP2077 at max Ultra RT settings, your GPU should go to 100% (even if fps will be quite low)...

30 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Okay.

I have other rig, with 3900X.

So installing 2080 Super to that rig would get me  100% GPU usage?

I mean I have good FPS around 75 to 90, it os just that I am obsessed with my GPU Usage not going 100%.

But what is with power not going 100%?

I don't want to throw money and buy again new rig just for +10 fps because of a CPU bottleneck.

Try that, the 3900X is quite superior to a 6700K and should not bottleneck a 2080 at 1440p

14 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

As long as you're CPU bound the rez and graphics settings won't decrease FPS, you should test for example playing CP2077 at max Ultra RT settings, your GPU should go to 100% (even if fps will be quite low)...

Oh okay then I was wrong.I thought that if my GPU usage is not 100% that I am loosing few FPS.

Okay so no need to worry about it then.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Oh okay then I was wrong.I thought that if my GPU usage is not 100% that I am loosing few FPS.

Okay so no need to worry about it then.

Thank you.

Hehe you *are* losing FPS that your GPU would provide with a better CPU 😛

Think of it as gimping your 2080 to 2060 or 2070 level...