Ryzen 7000 slow boot times

Hi everybody

I am looking into buying a 7900X ( & donating my 5900X to my son). I have watched a lot of reviews and i'm aware of the "memory training" that Zen4 performs

when you boot up your new build for the first time, after enabling the EXPO profile or changing ram, and after a power loss long enough to drain the caps.

However, i've found a reddit thread where a lot of users are reporting permanent slow boot speeds on a daily base with the memory already 'trained' so to speak.

To clarify: after a clean system shutdown, without loss of power, when you press the power button, you're still looking at a black screen for 30 seconds, before the BIOS logo appears.

After that, another 15-20 seconds to get to windows. The only work-around at this time is to leave the DDR5 running at the standard speed (not enabling XMP or EXPO)

Reddit thread can be found here 7000 series boot speeds

The latest AMD Agesa/BIOS updates don't fix anything regarding slow booting.

I'm amazed at how little I am able to find on forums about this issue. Are any of you experiencing this ?

If this doesn't get fixed any time soon, i'm just going to stick with my 5900X or go Intel. It takes me 7 seconds to get to windows after pressing the power button

Seems like a weird issue (technically) but as the poster above me already said this is also something to be expected with a new platform,  AM4 didn't have great boot times either,  especially compared to intel (in my experience) 

^for the record it takes about 20-25 seconds to boot into windows on my R5 3600, which isnt bad, but it still seems to drag along on the manufacturer logo longer than it should I feel

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I understand that new platforms need time to mature & growing pains are to be expected, but one would assume that AMD & Intel test all of this before they release new hardware, right ? Why do the early adopters always have to deal with this ? *sigh*

I think i'll just stick with my 5900X for the time being. It boots up in 7 seconds cold, if I want those long boot times i'll just install an old HDD 😅

Found a post on the MSI forum about this topic MSI forum

12 minutes ago, SmartBoomer said:

I understand that new platforms need time to mature & growing pains are to be expected, but one would assume that AMD & Intel test all of this before they release new hardware, right ?

Yes, they do. Boot time just isnt a priority in their workflow here, because the priority will be it working at all and hopefully not crashing constantly 😅 

Give it some time and this will hopefully improve.

12 minutes ago, SmartBoomer said:

Why do the early adopters always have to deal with this ? *sigh*

Because of aforementioned priorities,  this is simply how it works.  Being an early adaptor means being likely someone who enjoys tinkering with new stuff. I hate it. I just bought a 5800X3D for that reason,  it makes zero sense to jump onto a new platform for me currently.  I also have almost brandnew DDR4 B-die RAM, no way i buy new RAM just to be about as slow/fast on a new platform as on the older platform and additionally deal with "growing pains", nah, not for me. If Im supposed to be a beta tester we should talk about my compensation first 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, SmartBoomer said:

Hi everybody

I am looking into buying a 7900X ( & donating my 5900X to my son). I have watched a lot of reviews and i'm aware of the "memory training" that Zen4 performs

when you boot up your new build for the first time, after enabling the EXPO profile or changing ram, and after a power loss long enough to drain the caps.

However, i've found a reddit thread where a lot of users are reporting permanent slow boot speeds on a daily base with the memory already 'trained' so to speak.

To clarify: after a clean system shutdown, without loss of power, when you press the power button, you're still looking at a black screen for 30 seconds, before the BIOS logo appears.

After that, another 15-20 seconds to get to windows. The only work-around at this time is to leave the DDR5 running at the standard speed (not enabling XMP or EXPO)

I'm amazed at how little I am able to find on forums about this issue. Are any of you experiencing this ?

If this doesn't get fixed any time soon, i'm just going to stick with my 5900X or go Intel. It takes me 7 seconds to get to windows after pressing the power button

So I have a ryzen 7 7700x and a msi B650 tomahawk the boot times are slower than my old x470 board and 3600x but not that bad after initial memory training happens. From power button to boot about 20ish seconds on a cold boot which honestly isn't that bad considering once your in the OS its snappier than ever on a ryzen platform

20 hours ago, Rodneyg87 said:

So I have a ryzen 7 7700x and a msi B650 tomahawk the boot times are slower than my old x470 board and 3600x but not that bad after initial memory training happens. From power button to boot about 20ish seconds on a cold boot which honestly isn't that bad considering once your in the OS its snappier than ever on a ryzen platform

Most people will 'get over it' and wait for new AGESA/BIOS updates to fix the issue.

I am, however, very OCD about this and will wait until they adressed this 🙂

After all, i'm not going to spend hard earned cash for a new cpu/mobo and ram that boots slower then previous gen.

As Mark Kaine said, i'm not playing beta tester without getting paid for it 🙂

23 minutes ago, SmartBoomer said:

Most people will 'get over it' and wait for new AGESA/BIOS updates to fix the issue.

After all, i'm not going to spend hard earned cash for a new cpu/mobo and ram that boots slower then previous gen.

That’s your choice to make but I’m going to be honest with how things are looking the slower boot seems to be the new norm since they are trying to squeeze the absolute most performance out of the newer hardware so imo if I have to put up with slower boot times for way more performance per dollar I’m all for it 

47 minutes ago, Rodneyg87 said:

That’s your choice to make but I’m going to be honest with how things are looking the slower boot seems to be the new norm since they are trying to squeeze the absolute most performance out of the newer hardware so imo if I have to put up with slower boot times for way more performance per dollar I’m all for it 

I'm sorry, but how do slower boot times improve performance ? I understand the new memory training that AMD has implemented and how it functions, but after learning the timings (and without changing the ram or settings) all boots after that should be fast as the bios doesn't need to 'train' the memory anymore. Some vendors include a 'bypass training' option in the BIOS but that doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Goes to show that they are aware of it

If Intel would be experiencing the same 'issue' to squeeze the most performance out the newer hardware, I would understand. But that's not the case right now.

They perform as fast or sometimes faster than AMD without having to deal with slower boot times.

Oh well, i'm just going to shut up about this 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 4:17 PM, SmartBoomer said:

Hi everybody

I am having this Problem as well, even with EXPO turned off my boot times are very long. Even after Ram is trained, still trying to find a bottleneck to speed up Boot. I did read under the comments of the DDR5 Ram that I have -- "had to Up the Voltage or RAM under EXPO to increase boot times" I have yet to try this but is my next step. 

I have a 7900x on a b650 strix but only 2 sticks of ram,Mine boost so fast its hard to get into the bios with out mashing the delete key 30 times.

• 2 months later...

So Glad to Find this Thread, (Figured it be a Me Only Nightmare to have to figure out), Crazy slow boot up times compared to the AM4 But the gains are Well worth it Hopefully a Fix may come out soon

Has nothing to do with Ryzen or "training" the RAM. It is the MB just not being good. 

At 8:40 you see that MSI has extremely bad boot times. Gigabyte is excellent and MSI really bad for booting. I just built a Gigabyte DS3H and it boots up in literally seconds (less than the 23 seconds he measured, but I also had de-bloated my W11). My RAM is set to 6000/CL30 and I don't think running it in JEDEC (4800/CL40) would speed things up. 

This rig is multiple times faster booting up than all my other systems. I also have a 980 Pro, which likely helps with 1-2 seconds. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

• 1 month later...

2nd of may, and still a lot of users are reporting slow boot times and/or instability. This ain't even funny no more..

The launch was more than 7 months ago and i'm still playing beta tester 🙄

@Lurking If you think that a 23 seconds boot time for the Gigabyte is 'excellent', I must dissagree 🥲 

For reference : my 5900X takes 12 secs from cold start to desktop, also on a 980 Pro.

On 10/30/2022 at 6:18 PM, SmartBoomer said:

Or we turn off memory context in the bios.

There is a solution

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

2 hours ago, SmartBoomer said:

2nd of may, and still a lot of users are reporting slow boot times and/or instability. This ain't even funny no more..

The launch was more than 7 months ago and i'm still playing beta tester 🙄

@Lurking If you think that a 23 seconds boot time for the Gigabyte is 'excellent', I must dissagree 🥲 

For reference : my 5900X takes 12 secs from cold start to desktop, also on a 980 Pro.

If you're not going 7 series because 23 seconds then how do you wait on game loads?

Do you not play any?

At some point you need to realize you're being ridiculous.

You wait more than 30 seconds for a Starbucks.

Btw, there is a bios settings that fixes the boot time.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

23 hours ago, Dedayog said:

If you're not going 7 series because 23 seconds then how do you wait on game loads?

Do you not play any?

At some point you need to realize you're being ridiculous.

You wait more than 30 seconds for a Starbucks.

Btw, there is a bios settings that fixes the boot time.

I am well aware of the MCR option in the BIOS. It doesn't fix the issue, it slightly improves it.

Also, 23 seconds is best case scenario for boot, lots of people still having to endure up to 40-50secs.

Until AMD gets their head out of their *ss and releases a decent AGESA, you will keep finding people dissatisfied.

It's a shame you think it's ridiculous and to a certain degree I can understand where you're coming from. But as I said, I didn't pay out of the *ss

for a system that boots twice as slow as my 5900X. Pc parts are expensive as hell and major players like AMD, Intel and so on don't deserve getting away with lousy programming.

Btw : I did go 7 series. 7900X, MSI X670E Carbon and DDR5 6000. Expensive as hell.

ps : i'll just leave this here, feel free to scroll through

Reddit

46 minutes ago, SmartBoomer said:

I am well aware of the MCR option in the BIOS. It doesn't fix the issue, it slightly improves it.

Also, 23 seconds is best case scenario for boot, lots of people still having to endure up to 40-50secs.

Until AMD gets their head out of their *ss and releases a decent AGESA, you will keep finding people dissatisfied.

It's a shame you think it's ridiculous and to a certain degree I can understand where you're coming from. But as I said, I didn't pay out of the *ss

for a system that boots twice as slow as my 5900X. Pc parts are expensive as hell and major players like AMD, Intel and so on don't deserve getting away with lousy programming.

Btw : I did go 7 series. 7900X, MSI X670E Carbon and DDR5 6000. Expensive as hell.

ps : i'll just leave this here, feel free to scroll through

Reddit

The x670E Carbon was an expensive purchase, as the 32GB RAM and the 7900x are not.  The motherboard was YOUR choice, not AMD's.  IMO, you and MSI made things expensive.

It's like getting mad that Aston Martin is expensive.  A Ford would have done you nicely.

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

23 hours ago, Dedayog said:

The x670E Carbon was an expensive purchase, as the 32GB RAM and the 7900x are not.  The motherboard was YOUR choice, not AMD's.  IMO, you and MSI made things expensive.

It's like getting mad that Aston Martin is expensive.  A Ford would have done you nicely.

Yeah it was, but so was the 7900X. I paid €620 at launch, unless you think that's cheap.

I wouldn't be mad about the Aston Martin being expensive, just mad when it would get smoked by that Ford.