Unstable Wi-fi connectivity and speed

Only_CORE

This has been a problem before but now that we upgraded from 50/10 Mbps to 120/25 Mbps I have to figure out whats the problem.

We have a DSL connection which is very stable and on a PC I get constant 120/25 throughout the day but wi-fi is super inconsistent both on 2,4Ghz and 5GHz event when the connected device is in the same room

Here's a video of speed testing the wifi with my phone roughly 2 meters away from the router which is TP-Link Archer C6 (main router) we have a TP-Link VR300 in bridge mode acting as an extender and shows the same behavior (Both on the newest firmware).

I tested this on my OnePlus 5, Galaxy A50 and LG G4 and other family members say the have similar problems with their devices.

It starts fast but then it deteriorates and upload even lags completely. This behavior greatly reflects even just browsing the web or reddit when it just hangs for a while.

I tried changing a lot of wireless setting in the router but nothing has changed, not even completely resetting the router.

We live in a small village so there is little to none interference and changing channels or width changes nothing.

Sorry, I think your TP-Link hardware is crap and/or broken.  You need to get something else to try it again.

I'd recommend HP MSM422 off ebay, but you'd need POE for those.  Perhaps you can borrow something from a friend or a neighbour?

45 minutes ago, Only_CORE said:

Here's a video of speed testing the wifi with my phone roughly 2 meters away from the router which is TP-Link Archer C6 (main router) we have a TP-Link VR300 in bridge mode acting as an extender and shows the same behavior (Both on the newest firmware).

That's your issue. A WiFi repeater connects to a router and wireless devices on the same frequency. This means that your wireless devices will only get half of the bandwidth available. Less bandwidth leads to slower connection speeds. You need to get an Wireless access point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

18 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

That's your issue. A WiFi repeater connects to a router and wireless devices on the same frequency. This means that your wireless devices will only get half of the bandwidth available. Less bandwidth leads to slower connection speeds. You need to get an Wireless access point.

I'm not sure I understand. The VR300 is connected to my main router via cable so it is basically an access point. Or what do you mean?

1 hour ago, Only_CORE said:

I'm not sure I understand. The VR300 is connected to my main router via cable so it is basically an access point. Or what do you mean?

Because AP and extender don't mean the same thing.

So what do you use as your DSL modem/gateway if the VR300 is in bridge mode? Is the ethernet uplink from the VR300 to the C6 via the WAN port?

A flow diagram with device details would help significantly.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

A flow diagram with device details would help significantly.

It goes like this:

907229551_Screenshot2022-10-28180854.thumb.png.00670b7b07480e05924c5b30324514b0.png

Archer C6:

Internet connection type: PPPoE with VLAN ID

VR300:

Wireless Router Mode

2143516763_Screenshot2022-10-28181550.png.0263ec981956ba072005b70ab7201899.png

2132203448_Screenshot2022-10-28181630.png.7d557cdf5bcf3e64c0f99bcfc7f97282.png

No one knows?

Have you made sure the router and AP are on different WiFi channels and not overlapping?  What channel width are you using on 5Ghz?  Have you tried using a WiFi scanning app to see if there are other signals nearby on the same channels?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you made sure the router and AP are on different WiFi channels and not overlapping?  What channel width are you using on 5Ghz?  Have you tried using a WiFi scanning app to see if there are other signals nearby on the same channels?

They both use different channel and width is set to auto. I used wifi analyzer to check the area but there is minimal interference.

Plus the instability persists even when I turn off wifi of the other router

They both use different channel and width is set to auto. I used wifi analyzer to check the area but there is minimal interference.

Plus the instability persists even when I turn off wifi of the other router

Weird thing is on both the 2.4GHz is super slow like on picture below even when standing next to the router.

Download and upload latency seem really high... What could be the problem?

Screenshot_20221105-192144.thumb.jpg.471be7177ebb4e4f24d6e45162fac0f7.jpg

If there is a chance there is a bad setting or something that would make our current setup work it would be awesome but if it's a HW failure what would you recommend to buy for a really big house? Right now we have 3 APs  and it's barely covering it. I was thinking about a mesh system but it would need to have a wired backhaul (we have concrete walls) and support PPPoE with VLAN ID (That's what I have to set in router) and I don't think I want to go for deco from tplink after this experience. Maybe ASUS ZenWiFi XD4? I found a 3 pack for 247€ on german amazon ( cheapest in my country- CZ is around 330) or maybe a different brand?