Please give me a reason that this is a bad idea

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

after he told me he hadn't touched it for 2 years one day i whent to his house and looked and the flow was still ridiculous so... and he didn't care he could just replace it anyway.  i mean the best tower cooler was $100+ so...

He replaced the awful mess on the picture below?  I can see why someone would switch to decent cooling 🙂

but sounds like you had a bad experiences when wc so you hate it. and now your saying free  performance is bs...

No, I haven't, and I don't hate it.  I'm merely saying that water cooling is a bad idea for reasons I mentioned and that air cooling is so much easier.

way back then besides the diy water cooling aquacomputer was the only one selling parts to do it then later on in the west we had thermltake.  the uk seemed to have done it as i remember seeing cases with a bunch of tubing and distro blocks and they loved having the mb fliped up side down... 🤔 then something happen and i didn't see it any more... economy when to shit or something...

we didn't get in to wc in till the x58 when you whent from 2.66 to 4.0 4.2 if lucky was a huge jump...

So you overclocked it and that required water cooling?  That's not something I would do.  And look at that picture, that's even far worse than the makeshift aquarium cooling I made 20 years ago.

DSCF1262.JPG

57 minutes ago, heimdali said:

He replaced the awful mess on the picture below?  I can see why someone would switch to decent cooling

no thats my system but he had same mb, i7960, and corsair gt ram. i had a i7920, gskill ram, but both had the same wc system kit i just got a ek pump res and a full mb wb well he just cooled the nb. the we both got 2x 360 rads.

my dad didnt wast money like i did on cases and controllers.

another thing is people wc there gpu so it last longer and was quiet as cheaper blower gpus were loud. so for another $20 why not do the cpu as well. back then gpus only lasted 4 years.

No, I haven't, and I don't hate it.  I'm merely saying that water cooling is a bad idea for reasons I mentioned and that air cooling is so much easier.

ya but you did it diy 20 years ago... things change... so you have no idea how it is now...

So you overclocked it and that required water cooling?  That's not something I would do.  And look at that picture, that's even far worse than the makeshift aquarium cooling I made 20 years ago.

that's your opinion.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

another thing is people wc there gpu so it last longer and was quiet as cheaper blower gpus were loud. so for another $20 why not do the cpu as well. back then gpus only lasted 4 years.

See it that way:  My last graphics card that failed was a 1080ti Founders Edition.  It came with, IIRC, a 2 year warranty.  Water cool it and loose the warranty, or wait until the warranty is expired and try to find water cooling parts for it.  It would be pretty difficult to fit any watercooling into my workstation, so I'd have to have something external.  Same goes for the workstation I had the 1080ti in before.  So I would have needed two water coolings and all the hassle to somehow rig that up and wouldn't even be able to move the workstation with the stupid external water cooling stuff.

The 1080ti is pretty quiet.  It's not worthwhile to water cool it to make it more quiet.  Same goes for the ATI card I have now.  Water cooling may make the cards last longer or not --- is there a guarantee that they do? --- or it may leak and the card or something else gets damaged, or I might break something when installing the water block.  Graphics cards are way too big already as they are and adding a water block might even make it bigger (or smaller, sure); at least the stupid hoses would be in the way.

Since the cards keep failing, I plan on selling my current card on ebay while it still works and get a new one after about 2 years.  What sells better, a water cooled card the owner tampered with, or an unmodified card the buyer can simply plug in and is good to go because it doesn't come with all the hassle of water cooling?

Also, I plan on going for cheaper graphics cards than I used to; I already did after the 1080ti.  I'd have to be crazy to do water cooling.  The next workstation I buy may very well come in a 19" case I'll push into my rack, and it won't need water cooling --- or I'll build something myself, and it'll be in a 19" case and won't need water cooling.  It would really suck if the water from the cooling were to run down the rack into the servers and the UPS ...

ya but you did it diy 20 years ago... things change... so you have no idea how it is now...

What changed other than that the parts for water cooling are much easier to get than they used to be, that there are more manufacturers you can get such parts from and that you can get AIOs now?  The principle is still the same it was 1000 years ago (when blacksmiths dipped their hot metal into buckets of water, for example, it's merely a different application), and the disadvantages and advantages are also still the same.

that's your opinion.

It's not an opinion, it's my preference not to do overclocking.  You prefer to overclock, and if water cooling allows you to do that, it's great that you can do it.  That doesn't mean that water cooling computers generally is a bad idea.  If it was a good idea, datacenters would run all their hardware water cooled since decades.  Maybe some day they'll do that once they figured out how to get around the disadvantages because it might be more efficient then.

18 minutes ago, heimdali said:

See it that way:  My last graphics card that failed was a 1080ti Founders Edition.  It came with, IIRC, a 2 year warranty.  Water cool it and loose the warranty, or wait until the warranty is expired and try to find water cooling parts for it.  It would be pretty difficult to fit any watercooling into my workstation, so I'd have to have something external.  Same goes for the workstation I had the 1080ti in before.  So I would have needed two water coolings and all the hassle to somehow rig that up and wouldn't even be able to move the workstation with the stupid external water cooling stuff.

The 1080ti is pretty quiet.  It's not worthwhile to water cool it to make it more quiet.  Same goes for the ATI card I have now.  Water cooling may make the cards last longer or not --- is there a guarantee that they do? --- or it may leak and the card or something else gets damaged, or I might break something when installing the water block.  Graphics cards are way too big already as they are and adding a water block might even make it bigger (or smaller, sure); at least the stupid hoses would be in the way.

Since the cards keep failing, I plan on selling my current card on ebay while it still works and get a new one after about 2 years.  What sells better, a water cooled card the owner tampered with, or an unmodified card the buyer can simply plug in and is good to go because it doesn't come with all the hassle of water cooling?

Also, I plan on going for cheaper graphics cards than I used to; I already did after the 1080ti.  I'd have to be crazy to do water cooling.  The next workstation I buy may very well come in a 19" case I'll push into my rack, and it won't need water cooling --- or I'll build something myself, and it'll be in a 19" case and won't need water cooling.  It would really suck if the water from the cooling were to run down the rack into the servers and the UPS ...

ya a 1080 is quiet i have one and still is not wc even thow i got a $300 wb for it... and card now adays last longer so you dont need to wc. cost so much more to do so now adays that's its never recommend. that and ocing now is one button.  but you alos dont get free proforamce for ocing becuse you payed extra for it in the first place.

my 6600k right now has a d15 on it and its un audible. i did quit wc and started selling off my wc stuff but then i became mad with power... 🤔

19 minutes ago, heimdali said:

It's not an opinion, it's my preference not to do overclocking.  You prefer to overclock, and if water cooling allows you to do that, it's great that you can do it.  That doesn't mean that water cooling computers generally is a bad idea.  If it was a good idea, datacenters would run all their hardware water cooled since decades.  Maybe some day they'll do that once they figured out how to get around the disadvantages because it might be more efficient then.

pc 007.jpg

pc picks 019.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

$300 for a water block?  I buy whole servers for less that run 24/7 in production for years, all air cooled.  Get some perspective 🙂

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

$300 for a water block?  I buy whole servers for less that run 24/7 in production for years, all air cooled.

my 3090 wb will probably be $600...

9 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

my 3090 wb will probably be $600...

You could get a nice workstation for that money, all hassle-free air cooled 🙂  Or an xbox for less, if you want to play games, all air cooled.  They are nice and quiet.

5 minutes ago, heimdali said:

You could get a nice workstation for that money, all hassle-free air cooled 🙂  Or an xbox for less, if you want to play games, all air cooled.  They are nice and quiet.

no one can buy an xbox...jk

no reason to buy one you can paly all the games on pc so...

i wc because of how it looks now for its profromace. paring an 3090 with and i7-7740X wich is way over kill for the games i play haha but it should look cool...

x299 003.jpg

It doesn't look as if xboxes are still sold out.  I don't have computers to play games on them, one reason for that is that it would get so expensive that it would compare to buying cars.  I can still play games that require mods on my computer, though.  For everthing else, the xbox works great, is hassle-free and relatively cheap.  I guess you could water cool it if you wanted to ...

Also, there aren't so many games that really interest me, and once I played them through, I usually don't play them again.  The only exception so far was Mass Effect Legacy and Andromeda which was more than worthwhile to play again after a year ...  I'll probably do that again in a year 🙂

8 minutes ago, heimdali said:

It doesn't look as if xboxes are still sold out.  I don't have computers to play games on them, one reason for that is that it would get so expensive that it would compare to buying cars.  I can still play games that require mods on my computer, though.  For everthing else, the xbox works great, is hassle-free and relatively cheap.  I guess you could water cool it if you wanted to ...

Also, there aren't so many games that really interest me, and once I played them through, I usually don't play them again.  The only exception so far was Mass Effect Legacy and Andromeda which was more than worthwhile to play again after a year ...  I'll probably do that again in a year 🙂

i wc and xbox 360...

so you spend your moeny on cars instead i see...

ya aaa games are dead to me. i love diablo 2 and diablo 4 is all ready dead and same with blizzard... but i have plenty of good games still that i need to play like borderlands... atm im play star dew valy and i play mind craft off and on. only game that probably will be good is gta 6 thow i still have not betan gta 3...

consocl are good but i still like pcs better but thats imo. i do have all the older consoles thow

DSCF1271.JPG

DSCF1273.JPG

No, I'm not spending it on cars instead.  You're seeing that the wrong way round.

I tried borderlands on game pass, and it bored me ...  Well, even worse, it was awful because you're supposed to drive somewhere endlessly and then you can't even get there and/or there's nothing accomplished with all the driving, and it's either driving or you get killed or both.  What an awful game ...

Or was that called Wastelands and Borderlands is where you go shooting on a distant planet?  Borderlands was very good if that's the one I have in mind.

1 hour ago, heimdali said:

No, I'm not spending it on cars instead.  You're seeing that the wrong way round.

I tried borderlands on game pass, and it bored me ...  Well, even worse, it was awful because you're supposed to drive somewhere endlessly and then you can't even get there and/or there's nothing accomplished with all the driving, and it's either driving or you get killed or both.  What an awful game ...

Or was that called Wastelands and Borderlands is where you go shooting on a distant planet?  Borderlands was very good if that's the one I have in mind.

ya its the shooter rpg i guess🤔

I'll have to take a look next time when I turn on my xbox to see what it was ...

On 10/28/2022 at 3:00 AM, heimdali said:

Then you're lucky that you're have the space to do it and that you have very light cases or are pretty strong.

I'm flattered but none of those things are (sadly) true. In fact, my case is even a bit heavier than most other cases, it's still not a fitness studio exercises. If, as a healthy adult (be it young or old), you can't lift a PC up momentarily to move it less than a meter, then you have bigger and pressing problems, respectfully.

That only works when you have been able to lay the case flat.  In some cases, you even need to turn the case over because you have to get at something from the other side. 

You lift (it's already on the ground, if that's too heavy) the PC sideways up work on it or gently allow it to fall down onto the side, zero hassle. Never had an issue at all.

Having compressed air is nice to have.  So far, I don't have one and have been able to clean CPU heatsinks well enough without one.  I haven't tried to clean radiators yet, it only seems they can't be cleaned as easily.

Compressed air costs like 1-2€, if you can afford a +90€ case, 90€ mainboard, cheapest 100€ CPU + 200-300€ GPU (and more) I feel like 2€ will not break the bank.

I have tried to clean the CPU fan heatsink with a piece of cloth, toothpick and q-tips and it was a waste of time.

Not worth the 2€ savings

Edited by ManemeJeff

1 hour ago, ManemeJeff said:

I'm flattered but none of those things are (sadly) true. In fact, my case is even a bit heavier than most other cases, it's still not a fitness studio exercises. If, as a healthy adult (be it young or old), you can't lift a PC up momentarily to move it less than a meter, then you have bigger and pressing problems, respectfully.

You lift (it's already on the ground, if that's too heavy) the PC sideways up work on it or gently allow it to fall down onto the side, zero hassle. Never had an issue at all.

It has always been a total hassle to flip over a tower case and to work on one crawling around on the floor.  Fortunately, I don't need to do that anymore.

1 hour ago, ManemeJeff said:

Compressed air costs like 1-2€, if you can afford a +90€ case, 90€ mainboard, cheapest 100€ CPU + 200-300€ GPU (and more) I feel like 2€ will not break the bank.

I have tried to clean the CPU fan heatsink with a piece of cloth, toothpick and q-tips and it was a waste of time.

Not worth the 2€ savings

You mean the small cans you can buy?  They cost EUR 2.75 plus shipping each.

Cleaning a computer with compressed air means to use a medium size air compressor that is able to provide sufficient pressure and airflow to blow out all the dust, and you can't exactly do it indoors because you'd blow all the dust all over the place and won't be able to breath anymore.  You should do that some time and you'll know how funny these little cans are 🙂

When you have machines that have been running every day or even 24/7 at places that are more or less dusty, you have to clean them once every year or at least every two years.  If you don't do it, the dust can plug them up and they become a fire hazard.  I've seen that happening.

Dont see an issue assuming the layout conforms to the proper inlet/outlets of the parts. Pretty standard stuff.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz