Wifi router suggestions

bobman279
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
10 hours ago, bobman279 said:

Been looking at either Cisco or ubiquiti. Just want something reliable that will last for a very long time.

Well, you now know what is likely causing the problem with your disconnects.

If you follow the recommendations mentioned earlier and the problem doesn't go away, then you can think about a replacement. But no need to jump ahead without trying a fix.

Didn't realise this at the moment going through Cisco products its like an adventure hunt on a brick wall nothing to look at and very little information around on where to look

They don't deal with equipment for home users directly. That's for their Linksys brand.

Currently running the Asus GS-AX3000 dual-band WiFi 6 gaming router with a Netgear M5 Nighthawk Mobile broadband router supplying internet via the WAN port to the Asus.

Asus keeps disconnecting forcing me to have to restart the netgear router and the asus router to get the internet running again.

I am using the Asus GS to supply the house with internet as the Nighthawk only has 1 ethernet port.

I am looking at replacing the asus router as it is driving me up the wall especially with all the software issues it has been causing me of late.

Started looking at Cisco Wifi router's but unsure where to start. I am looking for something that runs WIFI 6 and can be supplied internet through my mobile broadband router.

The normal internet in my area is slower so I am relying on a 5G unlimited data sim from O2 (an english mobile provider) for internet.

Open to other suggestions other then cisco but looking for something with rock solid performance and quality.

Budget is around 200- 300ish pounds (GBP).

3 hours ago, bobman279 said:

Currently running the Asus GS-AX3000 dual-band WiFi 6 gaming router with a Netgear M5 Nighthawk Mobile broadband router supplying internet via the WAN port to the Asus.

Asus keeps disconnecting forcing me to have to restart the netgear router and the asus router to get the internet running again.

Are you running each device in its default mode?

If so, you have double NAT or some IP conflict. What most people don't realize is that their second router is essentially seen as another client behind the primary router. As a result, when DHCP cycles IP renewal on the primary router, the secondary router will get disconnected until you force a reboot. You need to enable IP passthrough and disable WiFi on the M5. This hands full router and AP functionality over to the GS-AX3000 which should result in less conflict.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:08 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Are you running each device in its default mode?

If so, you have double NAT or some IP conflict. What most people don't realize is that their second router is essentially seen as another client behind the primary router. As a result, when DHCP cycles IP renewal on the primary router, the secondary router will get disconnected until you force a reboot. You need to enable IP passthrough and disable WiFi on the M5. This hands full router and AP functionality over to the GS-AX3000 which should result in less conflict.

I have manually configured the gateway ip settings, the asus server does all the dhcp for connected users (wifi and ethernet), I would however like to kepe the netgear m5 wifi on. I realise this is a little bit backwards especially how you have suggested there could be conflicts. 

I have attached some images, would you say the way this is configured completely negate the potential ip conflict?

asus 1.PNG

asus 2.PNG

netgear.PNG

3 hours ago, bobman279 said:

I have attached some images, would you say the way this is configured completely negate the potential ip conflict?

Your problem is as expected. You have a router behind a router and they're on completely different subnets. The M5 is probably assigning the Asus a new LAN IP every time the lease expires which causes all connected clients to be temporarily disconnected.

The simplest and most easy thing to do is run the Asus in AP mode. This essentially relinquishes DHCP services to the M5. I would still configure the LAN information on the Asus to a static address outside of the M5's pool (e.g. 192.168.5.10, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.5.1), set the WiFi however you want and call it a day.

10 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Your problem is as expected. You have a router behind a router and they're on completely different subnets. The M5 is probably assigning the Asus a new LAN IP every time the lease expires which causes all connected clients to be temporarily disconnected.

The simplest and most easy thing to do is run the Asus in AP mode. This essentially relinquishes DHCP services to the M5. I would still configure the LAN information on the Asus to a static address outside of the M5's pool (e.g. 192.168.5.10, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.5.1), set the WiFi however you want and call it a day.

Thanks for all of your advice, I will try the IP pass through next I have a look at it. Looking at subnets are they not the same? Do you mean they are on different subnets because they are on different IP address ranges?

Changing the Asus router to AP mode, will this disable the Ethernet ports?

Moving on from the ASUS router what cisco do you think would suit what I am looking for?

2 hours ago, bobman279 said:

I will try the IP pass through next I have a look at it

Do one or the other; not both. M5 in IP passthrough (disables M5 WiFi) or Asus in AP mode.

Do you mean they are on different subnets because they are on different IP address ranges?

Yes.

Changing the Asus router to AP mode, will this disable the Ethernet ports?

No.

Moving on from the ASUS router what cisco do you think would suit what I am looking for?

Why? What are you hoping to solve with something from Cisco? 

AFAIK, Cisco doesn't generally have all-in-one router/AP/switch devices. Being geared towards business/enterprise, they sell independent switches and APs, many of which require annual licences to run unless you specifically choose their license-free alternatives.

If you're not really familiar with networking, stick with the consumer hardware you have now.

4 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Do one or the other; not both. M5 in IP passthrough (disables M5 WiFi) or Asus in AP mode.

Yes.

No.

Why? What are you hoping to solve with something from Cisco? 

AFAIK, Cisco doesn't generally have all-in-one router/AP/switch devices. Being geared towards business/enterprise, they sell independent switches and APs, many of which require annual licences to run unless you specifically choose their license-free alternatives.

If you're not really familiar with networking, stick with the consumer hardware you have now.

Been looking at either Cisco or ubiquiti. Just want something reliable that will last for a very long time.

"Cisco doesn't generally have all-in-one router/AP/switch devices." Didn't realise this at the moment going through Cisco products its like an adventure hunt on a brick wall nothing to look at and very little information around on where to look

Do as @Falcon1986recommends to fix your network configuration. That being said, if you are in the market for new routers, I love the Linksys Velop AX4200

https://www.linksys.com/tri-band-ax4200-mesh-wifi-6-router/MX4200.html

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If you follow the recommendations mentioned earlier and the problem doesn't go away, then you can think about a replacement. But no need to jump ahead without trying a fix.

Didn't realise this at the moment going through Cisco products its like an adventure hunt on a brick wall nothing to look at and very little information around on where to look

They don't deal with equipment for home users directly. That's for their Linksys brand.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:52 AM, Falcon1986 said:

On 10/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Do as @Falcon1986recommends to fix your network configuration. That being said, if you are in the market for new routers, I love the Linksys Velop AX4200

https://www.linksys.com/tri-band-ax4200-mesh-wifi-6-router/MX4200.html

Done, sort of.

Jumped ship on the ASUS. Now running the ubiquiti dream router. Very little network settings have been done so far, going to see how it goes. Have enabled ip passthrough on the Netgear now. Only other thing bothering me now is it keeps going from 5G cellular to 4G, only way to get back to 5G is restart which works most of the time. My area isn't rated for 5G even though it does connect. I don't have the option for adding an antenna to improve cellular connection at the moment so for the time being I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks for all your help

p.s. feel free to comment if there is a solution for the 5G cellular connection dropping 😛

p.s.s. hope you have a good weekend and good luck on your future endeavours 😄

2 minutes ago, bobman279 said:

Jumped ship on the ASUS. Now running the ubiquiti dream router.

LOL! OK. Hope it works well for your needs.

3 minutes ago, bobman279 said:

Only other thing bothering me now is it keeps going from 5G cellular to 4G, only way to get back to 5G is restart which works most of the time. My area isn't rated for 5G even though it does connect.

That's a cellular coverage problem. Most times, moving the unit around might improve reception. Better still, if you can place it close to an open window, mount it in weather-protected housing outside of the building, or add larger antennae.