Pc wont boot after installing new Graphics card

I've almost got this build working. in fact, I actually HAD it working at one point but I am once again lost.

Working on upgrading the graphics card in my system from a gtx 730 to an XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT

CPU is a core I7 6700 power supply is EVGA 500w, the 5500 has to be connected with a Thermaltake riser cable.

Windows 10 on an m.2 without a screw 

I'll try to explain what has happened so far as simple as I can 

initially, the first time I tried installing the 5500 this would happen:

it would try to boot then freeze. after switching back and forth between the new card and the old card a few times I ended up having to reinstall windows.

Then the freezing on boot stopped and I got into windows with the 5500 without issue. Used it for a few hours even.

Next step was to install the AMD drivers

for some reason Any version of the Adrenaline drivers I downloaded would give me error 182, saying my and hardware was not compatible.

looking up the error, a common solution is to make sure old graphics drivers are uninstalled.

I download DDU (Display driver uninstaller) & it tells me the best way to uninstall the old drivers is in safe mode

try to boot into safe mode (still with the 5500)

computer freezes at boot...wth

I put the 730 back in PC starts back up

Uninstall the drivers & restart...works fine

shutdown & puts the 5500 back in... the PC has gone back to freezing on boot

this only happens with the 5500. I'm sure the card works because I was able to use it for a few hours without issue (without the AMD drivers) before uninstalling the NVIDA ones.

I've since tried system repair & system restore with no change. and windows won't let me do a reinstall of windows 10 via the cloud download anymore for some reason. not that doing a fresh install again would help.

Yes I have tried to install the AMD drivers with the 730 in & it tells me you can't do that without AMD hardware in your system 

I can actually get into the bios and boot mgr before it freezes w the 5500 just nothing windows related

Honestly, I have no idea what to do at this point. Like I know there is a way to get it to work. I've SEEN IT WORK. But I'm completely lost at what to try. sorry this post is abit long.

3 minutes ago, Akita said:

I've almost got this build working. in fact, I actually HAD it working at one point but I am once again lost.

Working on upgrading the graphics card in my system from a gtx 730 to an XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT

CPU is a core I7 6700 power supply is EVGA 500w, the 5500 has to be connected with a Thermaltake riser cable.

Windows 10 on an m.2 without a screw 

I'll try to explain what has happened so far as simple as I can 

initially, the first time I tried installing the 5500 this would happen:

it would try to boot then freeze. after switching back and forth between the new card and the old card a few times I ended up having to reinstall windows.

Then the freezing on boot stopped and I got into windows with the 5500 without issue. Used it for a few hours even.

Next step was to install the AMD drivers

for some reason Any version of the Adrenaline drivers I downloaded would give me error 182, saying my and hardware was not compatible.

looking up the error, a common solution is to make sure old graphics drivers are uninstalled.

I download DDU (Display driver uninstaller) & it tells me the best way to uninstall the old drivers is in safe mode

try to boot into safe mode (still with the 5500)

computer freezes at boot...wth

I put the 730 back in PC starts back up

Uninstall the drivers & restart...works fine

shutdown & puts the 5500 back in... the PC has gone back to freezing on boot

this only happens with the 5500. I'm sure the card works because I was able to use it for a few hours without issue (without the AMD drivers) before uninstalling the NVIDA ones.

I've since tried system repair & system restore with no change. and windows won't let me do a reinstall of windows 10 via the cloud download anymore for some reason. not that doing a fresh install again would help.

Yes I have tried to install the AMD drivers with the 730 in & it tells me you can't do that without AMD hardware in your system 

I can actually get into the bios and boot mgr before it freezes w the 5500 just nothing windows related

Honestly, I have no idea what to do at this point. Like I know there is a way to get it to work. I've SEEN IT WORK. But I'm completely lost at what to try. sorry this post is abit long.

Could it just be an issue with really old hardware not mixing well with newer hardware? 

Intel 6700k:

"September 1, 2015 (announced) September 27, 2015 (launched)"

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 minute ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

Could it just be an issue with really old hardware not mixing well with newer hardware? 

Intel 6700k:

"September 1, 2015 (announced) September 27, 2015 (launched)"

I mean It did work though. that's what I cant figure out. something got borked somewhere. I almost think its a windows problem but I really cant tell

1 minute ago, Akita said:

I mean It did work though. that's what I cant figure out. something got borked somewhere. I almost think its a windows problem but I really cant tell

Have you tried without the riser cable? Or a fresh install of Windows 11? 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

3 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

Have you tried without the riser cable? Or a fresh install of Windows 11? 

sadly I cant test without the riser because I'm a dum dum and didn't measure space before buying the card. I haven't tried windows 11 though I'm not sure if I want to just yet since I'd probably have to do the work  around thing since its an unsupported motherboard type (missing that chip thing)

You need to DDU the drivers for the 730, you do not need to be in safemode for DDU to work. It will still work outside of safemode when doing the uninstall and restart option. Use DDU to get rid of the Nvidia drivers when the computer shuts down install the 5500XT again. Get the drivers for it through Windows updater or manually install them instead of trying to use adrenaline. Also make sure that your bios and Windows are as up to date as possible. Your 6700k isn't too old to work with the 5500XT, it should work fine unless there is a problem with something else. If it is something else it's most likely an issue with the riser cable, especially if it's an old one with the new card or a newer gen 4 with the old board. Your motherboard has to support the same PCIE generation as the riser cable.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You need to DDU the drivers for the 730, you do not need to be in safemode for DDU to work. It will still work outside of safemode when doing the uninstall and restart option. Use DDU to get rid of the Nvidia drivers when the computer shuts down install the 5500XT again. Get the drivers for it through Windows updater or manually install them instead of trying to use adrenaline. Also make sure that your bios and Windows are as up to date as possible. Your 6700k isn't too old to work with the 5500XT, it should work fine unless there is a problem with something else. If it is something else it's most likely an issue with the riser cable, especially if it's an old one.

Awesome. I'll go try that

Don't know if AMD has fixed them yet, their drivers does have some stability issues. For some it works great and they don't encounter any of it, while others got nothing but problems.

Uninstall all video drivers from your OS and run the AMD try running the card with AMD Drivers from Microsoft through Windows Update. Try that out and see if it still gives you any problems. If not, then download and install the latest driver for your AMD card and test again and see what happens. Windows Drivers works fine but AMD driver doesn't. This means your card is okay, it's just their drivers has problems.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Update: I went to put the 730 in and restart then promptly got a bluescreen. apparently whatever was happening borked windows again, so badly it could not repair itself (like several registry problems). and now I have successfully screwed up the drive when reinstalling windows from an install media cd & while it is actually on the ssd it is no longer recognized by the boot mgr and the bios. and now i will screem.