Ipad hates static IP adresses??? Why??

Shadow_Storm56

So one major change I made to my network was giving alot of my main important devices a static IP adress outside of the regular DCHP pool. Works great at keeping thoes devices stable.... except ipads .... with anything apple it just connects to the network but not to the internet when I give it a static Ip. I do not have this problem on any other device on my network except ipads....  why? What is different about apple stuff that makes it not like static ips?

Assuming they are running a current OS, have you tried disabling "Private Wi-Fi Address" under the wifi network settings on the iPads themselves? Tis basically automatic MAC address spoofing for privacy reasons, I disabled it on my iPhone so I can more easily ID it on the work network, as I use it for troubleshooting sometimes. Haven't tried setting a static IP so I don't know if it interferes with that, but it could be the issue. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Assuming they are running a current OS, have you tried disabling "Private Wi-Fi Address" under the wifi network settings on the iPads themselves? Tis basically automatic MAC address spoofing for privacy reasons, I disabled it on my iPhone so I can more easily ID it on the work network, as I use it for troubleshooting sometimes. Haven't tried setting a static IP so I don't know if it interferes with that, but it could be the issue. 

I think I did but I'll try again, it's so bizzare because every other device works just fine and right away with static

You didn't forget to give it the gateway address by any chance?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You didn't forget to give it the gateway address by any chance?

I literally put in everything the same from when it was in automatic mode except for the ip address. It's very odd that it dosen't work

Why assign a static IP on the device itself instead of via a static DHCP lease for the MAC address of the devices? I wonder if Apple stuff is fine with a static DHCP lease instead of setting it on the device, worth a shot if you can do it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Why assign a static IP on the device itself instead of via a static DHCP lease for the MAC address of the devices? I wonder if Apple stuff is fine with a static DHCP lease instead of setting it on the device, worth a shot if you can do it.

This would be the proper way to do it anyways, that way the DHCP server never can have anything at the same IP. 

I have all of my devices statically assigned in pfsense, including iPhones and iPads. They don’t know the difference because they are getting their IP via DHCP, I am just manually setting said IP’s at the router level.

OP, all we can really say is double check everything, make sure it has the correct gateway and a correct DNS server, and make sure the IP address is not the same as another device you manually set. But ideally, just assign manual IP’s in the router based on devices MAC address.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I literally put in everything the same from when it was in automatic mode except for the ip address.

When you switch it to manual you get 3 fields, ip, subnet mask and router, you need to populate all 3.

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

I wonder if Apple stuff is fine with a static DHCP lease instead of setting it on the device, worth a shot if you can do it.

Of course, either works fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

This would be the proper way to do it anyways, that way the DHCP server never can have anything at the same IP. 

I have all of my devices statically assigned in pfsense, including iPhones and iPads. They don’t know the difference because they are getting their IP via DHCP, I am just manually setting said IP’s at the router level.

OP, all we can really say is double check everything, make sure it has the correct gateway and a correct DNS server, and make sure the IP address is not the same as another device you manually set. But ideally, just assign manual IP’s in the router based on devices MAC address.

The reason I do it this way is the network has alot of repeaters and devices do not like having to pull an address from the router whenever they need a renewal. So alot of devices had issues before this change, the static ips are outside of the dchp pool range so theres  no chance of that kind of overlap. I have set it up the other way but after a few days it will fail to renew it's ip from the router and then the connection for it borks. This issue only exsist in this device now as it will not take a static address even with all other things checked.

1 hour ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

The reason I do it this way is the network has alot of repeaters and devices do not like having to pull an address from the router whenever they need a renewal. So alot of devices had issues before this change, the static ips are outside of the dchp pool range so theres  no chance of that kind of overlap. I have set it up the other way but after a few days it will fail to renew it's ip from the router and then the connection for it borks. This issue only exsist in this device now as it will not take a static address even with all other things checked.

If you have repeaters, and they are causing the issue, I would immediately assume they are causing more than just this issue. All repeaters do is boost a signal, and all Wifi is is a wireless switch. All DHCP handouts are done at the router, so if assigning static IP’s at the router causes issues, however your network is set up is likely no bueno. 

TLDR; repeaters are typically just horrible. When you inevitably upgrade or overhaul your network setup, definitely get a mesh network. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Turn off private addressing

Private addressing spoofs your MAC address, it's designed to prevent PUBLIC wifi access points from tracking your device, it's actually a really cool feature, it's just not needed at a home or work network

On 10/18/2022 at 9:22 PM, NickKz said:

Turn off private addressing

Private addressing spoofs your MAC address, it's designed to prevent PUBLIC wifi access points from tracking your device, it's actually a really cool feature, it's just not needed at a home or work network

Fun update, the stupid thing also wanted me to manually add the dns server which is still automatic on other devices even with a static ip. Idk why this is bold fyi

6 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Fun update, the stupid thing also wanted me to manually add the dns server which is still automatic on other devices even with a static ip. Idk why this is bold fyi

That is not abnormal, usually when you set a manual IP, you need to set DNS… DNS is provided via DHCP, so if you manually configure your IP, the device isn’t going to get DNS from DHCP. 

8 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

That is not abnormal, usually when you set a manual IP, you need to set DNS… DNS is provided via DHCP, so if you manually configure your IP, the device isn’t going to get DNS from DHCP. 

I'm used to android which if you enter nothing it will assume the dns is inline with the router ip or default gateway.... I forget. I just happened to notice that was the online difference between my android devices and apple so I tried it and it worked.