Can't find a reliable ESD table mat. Help

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

GamersNexus has good quality anti static / esd mats in their store.

Basically you can get charged with static electricity if you move around while working on the computer if you're wearing clothes that build up static electricity.

You can discharge yourself by touching anything that's grounded. You could plug for example a power supply in a grounded outlet and then touch any unpainted bit of the power supply to discharge yourself because the metal case of the power supply is connected to the ground wire in your mains cable, so you'll automatically discharge yourself.

If the psu is fully painted, you can screw it to a case, and then the whole case is grounded, because you're creating a connection through the metal screws you use to screw the power supply to the case, so now your whole case is grounded

In Europe we have AC sockets that have two nice metal clips on the sides of each socket, so it's enough to just have a grounded extension cord on the desk and periodically touch those ground tabs on a random empty AC socket, and I'm discharged of static electricity.

Common sense rules otherwise ... hold components by the edges or by the brackets ex hold a video card by its bracket and/or by the plastic shroud on the heatsink - get in the habit of not touching exposed contacts or rubbing your fingers on the back of the circuit board touching pins and surface mounted components (which may break off)\

I can't seem to find a reliable ESD table mat. Yes I know you don't have to worry to much about frying your systems and all. But I like to make sure I don't screw up. Also would like if someone explained to me how to ground myself step by step since I'm unsure on the topic. I already watched a bunch of videos but I don't trust my self to mess it up somehow or get myself killed trying to ground myself. 

The case I own is painted so I can't clip it to that. 

"Sometimes, the people who are thousands of miles away from you can make you feel better than people right beside you."

GamersNexus has good quality anti static / esd mats in their store.

Basically you can get charged with static electricity if you move around while working on the computer if you're wearing clothes that build up static electricity.

You can discharge yourself by touching anything that's grounded. You could plug for example a power supply in a grounded outlet and then touch any unpainted bit of the power supply to discharge yourself because the metal case of the power supply is connected to the ground wire in your mains cable, so you'll automatically discharge yourself.

If the psu is fully painted, you can screw it to a case, and then the whole case is grounded, because you're creating a connection through the metal screws you use to screw the power supply to the case, so now your whole case is grounded

In Europe we have AC sockets that have two nice metal clips on the sides of each socket, so it's enough to just have a grounded extension cord on the desk and periodically touch those ground tabs on a random empty AC socket, and I'm discharged of static electricity.

Common sense rules otherwise ... hold components by the edges or by the brackets ex hold a video card by its bracket and/or by the plastic shroud on the heatsink - get in the habit of not touching exposed contacts or rubbing your fingers on the back of the circuit board touching pins and surface mounted components (which may break off)\

25 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Some details meaningful (IMHO) to bring up.

The described socket is called Schuko, or Type F according to the related Wikipedia page. It's widely adopted throught most of continental europe plus Iceland, excluded France, Belgium, Denmark (Type K), Switzerland (Type J), Czeck republic, Slovakia, Poland; if not specified, the "other option" is a Type E. Socket Type E is the one with lateral clips, Type F has a polarizing prong.

Most of EU devices are equipped with an hybrid plug (CEE 7/7) which can accomodate into both Type E and Type F sockets.

Italy and Albania use as default plug/socket a so-called Type L, a linear three-prong plug available in two sizes (up to 10A, up to 16A) but is widely adopted and accepted also the Hybrid Type E/F Shucko. Type L do not allow direct contact with ground contact.

Personally i don't suggest to use the strategy hinted by @mariushm: in 99.9% of cases it's safe and could be effective enough. The remaining 0.1% IMVHO includes the case of issues on the power wiring ore supply of the building, that's sending some discharges on the ground contact if any issue occur; residual current circuit breaker sensitivity sometimes is a bit higher than what ESD-sensible devices allow.

As other option, a lot network equipment is provided with ground contact outside the power cable. Excluding of course most of the ones with small power brick and no C14 IEC socket on the chassis.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

I build my computers on my kitchen table. Advantages: No carpeting, no static electricity, and as an added benefit due to the higher humidity level inherent in kitchens, very little dust or no dust to worry about. I used to work on the counter top but I'm getting less young than than before, and especially after my accident I find my balance not so good and sitting is safer.

Disadvantages: Girlfriends that insist I talk to them.