Disable windows 10 Bing Search

While watching the 10/7/2022 WAN Show, at 1:40:26, Luke mentioned his annoyance with how Windows 10 will search bing while searching local indexed files. I've wasted quite a lot of time accidentally launching a bing search instead of finding the folder/file I know exists on my pc. So, after years of thinking that this "feature" sucks, I did a quick google search, "disable windows 10 search on edge" and looked at https://www.techbout.com/disable-web-results-in-windows-search-44034/. It's done, no more opening edge by accident.  

I followed step two, and it immediately worked; definitely worth a look if you have been a victim of an accidental bing search. Go check out the website but ill give a quick how-to here. 

Disclaimer, I'd always recommend backing up your registry before messing around with it

1. Open Registry Editor
  2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
  3. Right-click Search and click New, pick a DWORD (32-bit) & Name it BingSearchEnabled & make sure that you set the value to 0
  4. Done & Enjoy!

On 10/8/2022 at 4:21 PM, Enzi said:

While watching the 10/7/2022 WAN Show, at 1:40:26, Luke mentioned his annoyance with how Windows 10 will search bing while searching local indexed files. I've wasted quite a lot of time accidentally launching a bing search instead of finding the folder/file I know exists on my pc. So, after years of thinking that this "feature" sucks, I did a quick google search, "disable windows 10 search on edge" and looked at https://www.techbout.com/disable-web-results-in-windows-search-44034/. It's done, no more opening edge by accident.  

I followed step two, and it immediately worked; definitely worth a look if you have been a victim of an accidental bing search. Go check out the website but ill give a quick how-to here. 

Disclaimer, I'd always recommend backing up your registry before messing around with it

1. Open Registry Editor
  2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
  3. Right-click Search and click New, pick a DWORD (32-bit) & Name it BingSearchEnabled & make sure that you set the value to 0
  4. Done & Enjoy!

Yes they said this but also cant fox a simple typo on the forum either...Screenshot_20221009-230132_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc9512c128ecfbe21ab5d4f4ababbfe3.jpg