Ryzen 5700G vs 5800X upgrade with power constraints

Hi, 

I've currently got a Ryzen 2700 (Zen+) CPU in a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard. For the most part it's doing it's job well enough for me (I do mostly what would be considered specific productivity tasks and until now my gaming as been limited to 60Hz monitors, non-competitive).

In the next few weeks I'm making some changes that I think might change that though: I'm buying a higher refresh rate monitor and a VR headset, so I expect the Ryzen 2700 might not be as great going forward.

I've got an opportunity to upgrade now at a slight discount, to either the Ryzen 5700G or 5800X (both effectively similarly priced, the 5700G is slightly cheaper locally but negligibly). Both with 8 Zen 3 cores.

I know that in general, the 5800X is faster than the 5700G, but thinking forward I do have two uses for the integrated graphics that are a nice-to-have: (but not mandatory)

1) I use Linux sometimes and it would be nice to be able to use the iGPU for the AMD drivers in Linux (nice but not a must, right now I use my nvidia GPU and it works, just a bit janky sometimes when I also run large CUDA workloads on it)

2) In the future I would like to repurpose this hardware as a server or media center once it comes time to upgrade to a completely new computer, and having an iGPU would make that easier.

But this alone isn't enough to justify the 5700G over the 5800X if the performance difference is huge. (If I get the 5800X, I can survive with the Nvidia drivers in Linux and buy a cheap GPU when the time comes to retire this system to a server.)

So my question is, how big would the performance difference realistically be in a power constrained system? The B450M DS3H motherboard doesn't have the best power delivery (at least, when running Prime95, the CPU only got 75.6 W package power maximum according to CPUID's Hardware Monitor), and my power supply itself doesn't have a crazy amount of headroom either. Given that, I'm not sure how much of the difference between the 5700G vs 5800X would be in my system.

I know that some of the performance advantage of the 5800X is the larger L3 cache, but it is also rated for a TDP of 105W vs the 5700G's 65W TDP (on paper) and Anandtech reviews show that the 5800X draws up to 141W peak vs 88W peak for the 5700G, so I wonder how much of the performance delta is power envelopes (which I think I won't be able to benefit from anyways) vs the cache/SOC architectural advantages.

If anyone has any ideas or insights I would be happy to hear them,

Thanks!

If you have fast enough ram I think you would enjoy the IGPU more than the few hundred megahertz faster boost speeds and double the l3 cache of the 5800x.

I recommend watching this review:

For example in chromium compile the 5800x is 12% faster than 5700g, but that is at stock power draws. At similar power limits they would be much closer, so I would say that most likely you wouldn't feel much of a speed difference between the 2, but APU definitely would add value.

Also make sure that your motherboard actually supports the 5700g, some motherboards dont support apus.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

47 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

No 5700X available?

Funny enough it's more expensive than the 5800X right now (locally), and I didn't even know that it existed until now. (Because it's only available boxed and the 5800X is available in tray) 

Is there any advantage to it?

EDIT: it looks almost like it's just a 65W version of the 5800X so I guess I can compare it to the 5700G to see how much the cache difference makes. Thanks

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

If you have fast enough ram I think you would enjoy the IGPU more than the few hundred megahertz faster boost speeds and double the l3 cache of the 5800x.

I recommend watching this review:

For example in chromium compile the 5800x is 12% faster than 5700g, but that is at stock power draws. At similar power limits they would be much closer, so I would say that most likely you wouldn't feel much of a speed difference between the 2, but APU definitely would add value.

Also make sure that your motherboard actually supports the 5700g, some motherboards dont support apus.

Thanks! I have 3000 MT/s RAM (CL16), I expect that would be reasonably fast enough?

I also checked the motherboard and I'd need a BIOS update but there is support, Thanks!

1 minute ago, RandomStyuf said:

Thanks! I have 3000 MT/s RAM (CL16), I expect that would be reasonably fast enough?

I also checked the motherboard and I'd need a BIOS update but there is support, Thanks!

I would say 3000mhz CL16 is not really great, but it isn't also terrible. You could get maybe like 10% better performance with faster ram, but not really that important. At least it is not 2133.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

7 hours ago, RandomStyuf said:

3000 cl16 is plenty fast, dont expect more than 3% by buying a 3600 cl18 binned ram

7 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

You could get maybe like 10% better performance with faster ram

5-7% would be a decent 3800 oc on a decent ic like djr or rev e tightened subtimings but that extra performance after that youd either be clocking the rams to the moon (5000+) assuming you got the 5700g with decently binned hynix djrs or samsung bdie with very tight subtimings at 3900-4200 if you got a 5800x

Also some games just dont care about ram speed while others do care so depends on what games you play where youll see the benifit

I say 5800x here, you can find dirt cheap display adapters like the 6350 and 7470 for <10$. And due to the larger cache you wont need to make your rams go stupid fast just 3900-4200 (depending on fclk ability) tightened subtimings and youll have most of the fast ram benifits without alot of the pain from high freq rams since <4400 is still slow and easy to manage (also less insanity inducing). And even if you dont oc ram that wont matter much cause again more cache

Ram is really not as important as ppl make it out to be aside from apus so if you wanna bother with a decent oc for a 5-7% gain in some games go ahead but stock rams are just fine too