GTX 1660, GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 to put in older platform (i7 3770)

braidedwire

Hi everyone,

Here's the main thing: i need to a buy a new monitor to use for remote work (graphic design, photohop, illustrator not really 3D or video editing right now), that's the priority.
It's WQHD resolution and my current card won't be able to work comfortably with that, also i wish to work on 2 monitors at the same time, so i need a new GPU.

I'm a very casual gamer, haven't been playing recently any new titles or anything like that. But it's always nice to catch-up a bit and play a game once in a while when upgrading a GPU.
I've read it's only fair to go with GTX 1060 6 GB for my old platform. Problem is i'm not into used electronics and it's impossible to buy one of these anymore in my country.
So i started thinking about GTX 1660 but have seen people online saying it's not worth the money you could buy it for and more powerful 1660 Ti or even RTX 2060 are a better solution. Also RX 6600 has been suggested to me, as it's more powerful and in similar price range.  The thing is they are a bit more pricey and slightly above my budget. The GTX 1660 i could probably buy right now.
Here are some notes/thoughts:

>> I'm not looking forward to new, upcoming games too much

>> I want to play Arkham Knight for sure >> Other titles are optional

>> I don't need maximum details or maximum monitor resolution, i could live with running something in 1080P on a WQHD monitor - no problem

>> I might be going for a new platform in a matter of months (6-7), i'm still not sure. If i do, i wish to leave that GPU i'm about to buy right now.
>> Does it all come down to choosing between nVidia and AMD? I heard amd's commercial drivers are less stable and GeForces work a bit better with Photoshop and Illustrator.

Hopefully it makes sense image.gif.664897139ffb3f7eba776f903c9ba4b2.gif Could you give me some advice?

My 10 year old platform goes:

CPU: Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3,4 GHz + BOX cooler
MoBo: MSI Z77A-G43
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Fury CL10
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 1GB
PSU: OCZ ZT 550W

What's your budget ?

Only the 1660 (non Ti) is sub $200, the others are all around $250 but the 6600 is better and worth the extra price, so if you can afford it get one

Problem with the 1660 is that though it's ok now it'll be soon on the obsolete side, plus it's older architecture

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I wanted to stay as close to $200 as possible.

The rough prices in my country (according to today's dollar value) are:

$248 for GTX 1660
$275 for GTX 1660 Ti
$309 for RTX 2060

$320 for RX 6600, but that chnged recently, because it was closer to $300 few days ago

9 minutes ago, braidedwire said:

I wanted to stay as close to $200 as possible.

The rough prices in my country (according to today's dollar value) are:

$248 for GTX 1660
$275 for GTX 1660 Ti
$309 for RTX 2060

$320 for RX 6600, but that chnged recently, because it was closer to $300 few days ago

If you wanna keep costs down i guess its a matter of going for the cheapest card you can get?

What does the used marked look like? Perhaps you can snatch a 1080 or something relatively cheap. There is also supposed to b a lot of 5600xt floating around now that the cryptomining has gone belly up for now. So you can look out for them too. They are on par with the 2060 depending on which benchmarks you look at.
That said, the rx 6600 is a very good card in its own right as a current gen card and generally a good deal, depending on where you live. I predict that one could last you another couple of years.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Here the used market is flooded with cards.

I've just bought myself a 1660S for 150.-

I've seen 3060Tis go for 300.-

3070 go for 360.-

(I even have sold a 3070 for 380.-)

Every day there are a few cards selling on our local ebay

Now is a good time to buy used, I believe

I'm willing to swim against the current.

In a week Intel is going to release the Arc GPU.  In a month Radeon will release the 7000 GPU.  

If you can wait until then, you should be able to pick up any one of your options for even cheaper.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

@braidedwire

I have a 1070 I am willing to sell for $150 US, I was gonna build a pc, but I realised that an Xbox would better suit my needs. eBay would work for me if you want to.

From what I can see, the RX 6600 minimum PSU power requirement is 550 W, and the RTX 2060 500 W is recommended. Does this rule RX 6600 out?

3 minutes ago, braidedwire said:

From what I can see, the RX 6600 minimum PSU power requirement is 550 W, and the RTX 2060 500 W is recommended. Does this rule RX 6600 out?

Not necessarily.  You would have to do some research but if you are planning this for future build, you could get the 6600 and look at underclocking/undervolting it on your current system.

2060 is an ok card (I have one) but I wouldn't want it in a new build.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T