how dumb is this 1-10

bunchy7s

Since fans are 12v, and usb adaptors run at 5v on the fans, bad. The fans will barely be spinning
also there would be a fan sticking off the side

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Helpful Tech Witch said:

Since fans are 12v, and usb adaptors run at 5v on the fans, bad. The fans will barely be spinning

3000 rpm noctua fan rated at 12v so around 1000rpm est

1 minute ago, bunchy7s said:

3000 rpm noctua fan rated at 12v so around 1000rpm est

except for thats not how that works
Its not linear with voltage, thats just now how things ivolving friction work
Hell, the fan might not even start at 5v depending.
But it will bassically have no noticiable effect on temps unless there is nothing in the form of airflow already

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, bunchy7s said:

image.thumb.png.d8b8dbca126af407bd1a8b90ebfbb971.png

About a 10 on the dumb scale. Unless you’re running a hotbox already and it’s a case you don’t mind destroying, you really won’t get much improvement.

30 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

Since fans are 12v, and usb adaptors run at 5v on the fans, bad

Many fans, for example Noctua fans, come in 5v variants. Noctua 5v fans even include a USB to 4 pin adapter in the box. https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-5v

Well, your idea is nothing new nor dumb, I mean, back in year 2000 or so, I spotted quite a number of case that has one fan side panel at side panel to draw in cool air.

So, depending on your condition, this could be a brilliant idea.

Anyway, let's break down:

- Drilling the side panel can be tricky. Be careful about that.

- Your motherboard should have fan header, you don't really need to convert your fan cable unless they are of a different connector. See your fan voltage requirement. a DC12V fan might not work if you supply DC5V for it.

- Using hot glue is okay if you want to glued the fan at that place and forget about it, but I would suggest using screw to mount your fan. That way, should you decide to switch your case, you can take the fan out. It's just my preferences, but I'm sure you can yank the fan out with force if you use hot glue.

- You might want to invest mesh filter at least to keep the dust from going into the case.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Why use a USB header, get a 3/4 pin to molex adapter. Some older fans come with the part.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Why not just use a molex or sata to fan adapter? @bunchy7s

image.png.aa464a2028f50faea1dc9e51a2c96559.png

image.thumb.png.e6a28675299bc325fcf66376e4f90a0e.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

20 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, your idea is nothing new nor dumb, I mean, back in year 2000 or so, I spotted quite a number of case that has one fan side panel at side panel to draw in cool air.

So, depending on your condition, this could be a brilliant idea.

Anyway, let's break down:

- Drilling the side panel can be tricky. Be careful about that.

- Your motherboard should have fan header, you don't really need to convert your fan cable unless they are of a different connector. See your fan voltage requirement. a DC12V fan might not work if you supply DC5V for it.

- Using hot glue is okay if you want to glued the fan at that place and forget about it, but I would suggest using screw to mount your fan. That way, should you decide to switch your case, you can take the fan out. It's just my preferences, but I'm sure you can yank the fan out with force if you use hot glue.

- You might want to invest mesh filter at least to keep the dust from going into the case.

you smart as hell