Can the company see what I'm doing if I use PIA?

Edgar R. Zakarian
Go to solution Solved by Takumidesh,

Depending on the VPN setup, there may be IP and DNS leaks. Additionally you want to make sure kill switches are set up correctly to ensure that if the vpn drops for even a packet, that it doesn't try to transfer over an open connection.

As @mike_seps said, if it is a company owned device, there can be all types of additional monitoring installed on it, including things like keyloggers, screenshot tool, camera and microphone access, and packet sniffers.

If the VPN is set up correctly, and there are no local monitoring tools, then the company will only be able to see that you are connecting to an IP address (the VPN's endpoint) and that you have a lot of traffic between that endpoint.

Hi guys,

So If I'm connected to the company WiFi, but have activated the VPN PIA, can the company see that I'm streaming netflix, or can they only see data going out to the VPN?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Its encrypted between your pc and the PIA node, so all they will see is that you are using a lot of bandwidth

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

They can't see the traffic's contents, but they can see that you're receiving a lot of data (through a VPN). Provided the PC itself isn't monitored, otherwise they can see that you're running Netflix.

Obviously, other people at work might still see you doing non-work related stuff and report you. Additionally, the network admins might get suspicious when they see your computer constantly receiving large amounts of data from somewhere that's not a company resource. You're opening yourself up to a lot of trouble if caught. They might even accuse you of spying on the company, since you're communicating with an outside server through an encrypted channel.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Depending on the VPN setup, there may be IP and DNS leaks. Additionally you want to make sure kill switches are set up correctly to ensure that if the vpn drops for even a packet, that it doesn't try to transfer over an open connection.

As @mike_seps said, if it is a company owned device, there can be all types of additional monitoring installed on it, including things like keyloggers, screenshot tool, camera and microphone access, and packet sniffers.

If the VPN is set up correctly, and there are no local monitoring tools, then the company will only be able to see that you are connecting to an IP address (the VPN's endpoint) and that you have a lot of traffic between that endpoint.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got plenty of info.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |