This Has Never Worked

AlexTheGreatish

Starforge Systems are a system builder created by Twitch streamers that gained notoriety for their bad configs on launch. Have they been able to turn it around?

Buy an Intel Core i9-12900 (16 Core): https://geni.us/FVWc

Buy a Corsair iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler: https://geni.us/wjXFbzQ

Buy an MSI PRO z690-A Motherboard: https://geni.us/9DSzAnA

Buy a Kit of Corsair Vengeance RT 32GB DDR4 RAM: https://geni.us/SWfSh4e

Buy a Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME SSD: https://geni.us/V33TL

Buy a Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB: https://geni.us/Vj0h57Q

Buy a Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case: https://geni.us/qUNK

Buy a Corsair RM1000x 1000 W Power Supply: https://geni.us/kJqI31x

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

lol it literally took me 5 mins to make a list on pc part picker with 12900ks, 3090ti, 32gb 3600 for 3500 dollars, probably can save 200 dollars or more if optimised, dont know if this company even gonna last, so why bother with third party system builders

It is indeed deceptively easy to build a computer. But running it as a business is less so, by a lot. Even if one can reasonably charge a fair few % more than a DIY approach.

Working in electronics manufacturing myself, I can't help but contemplating at times if venturing into PC building would be economical or not. Oftentimes the answer is "maybe." In my case it wouldn't be hard, but PC building has somewhat high risks associated with it, and even if the computer works, there is still support since the end user might break it in various ways. And whatever problems I as a tech interested person stumbles over is going to be far removed from what Joe average stumbles over.

I wouldn't say that building is actually the major cost.

Support, logistics, and idle downtime as order quantities varies are likely the bigger costs.

Not to mention the risk of having hardware collecting dust as new generations arrive. Partly one can build things "just in time." but a lot of customers don't want to wait for you to acquire the parts, part of the appeal of buying a pre built is the expediency of the process. (at least as far as I have heard people say. I haven't bought a computer in a long time...)

19 minutes ago, FATE1027 said:

lol it literally took me 5 mins to make a list on pc part picker with 12900ks, 3090ti, 32gb 3600 for 3500 dollars, probably can save 200 dollars or more if optimised, dont know if this company even gonna last, so why bother with third party system builders

It took me 5 minutes to make a list of parts to build a table for very little money.  Why do people go to to stores to buy factory built furniture? 

Maybe it's because people don't want to do something and rather pay people to do it for them? 

13 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

It took me 5 minutes to make a list of parts to build a table for very little money.  Why do people go to to stores to buy factory built furniture? 

I mean, there's an actual difference in quality (sometimes) between "factory built" furniture and IKEA. So I don't think this is a great comparison to PC's.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Building a computer is easy. Supporting it for its entire life cycle is not, especially when you're buying off-the-shelf components from multiple manufacturers.

This is why large companies "overpay" for OEM PCs instead of building a suite of workstations from parts. If something breaks, they can just go back to Dell or HP or Lenovo and go "fix it fix it fix it fix it" like Fry. If you're a system integrator, you're the one the customers are turning to.

At 4:14 the email to the "anonymous" buyer starts off "Hi, Colton". That's brilliant! Nobody would ever suspect that guy of working for Linus! 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

I mean, there's an actual difference in quality (sometimes) between "factory built" furniture and IKEA. So I don't think this is a great comparison to PC's.

I think his point is pretty valid actually. He wasn't making a quality comparison, his point was not everyone wants to or is able to build their own PC so they will pay a premium to a company to do it for them.

To the original video I think my only real problem with it is that its a 850w psu with a 3080ti. If you OC it at all you might end up with a problem when its also using a 12900k. When they upgraded the build on their site to a 3090 now for $3400 did they change the psu as well?

I just went and checked, they did not upgrade the PSU, HOWEVER they have dropped the price to 2999.99 USD now

https://starforgesystems.com/products/horizon-creator-edition-pc

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

At 4:14 the email to the "anonymous" buyer starts off "Hi, Colton". That's brilliant! Nobody would ever suspect that guy of working for Linus! 

I met this guy Bill once, and it was clear it was Bill Gates, no matter how much he screamed in pain or how much fake 'blood' there was as I tried to pull his rubber mask off.  There's only one person in the world named 'Bill' after all.

Now if only I could convince the judge of this obvious truth.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

You are right, but there is also a spectrum of quality from vastly superior, to worse than ikea.  Just like PC building, some people will do better than Dell, and others will burn their house down.

6 hours ago, FATE1027 said:

It took me 3 minutes to make a list of ingredients to a dish, it's much cheaper than going to a restaurant. Why do people even go restaurants, it blows my mind. 

I don't much care for the company really. The "creators" as they are on the website are just twitch streamers with minimal PC knowledge to begin with. They are just funding the company and using their influence to sell the product. Like if a food critic opened up a restaurant. Yeah, you review food for a living but opening and running your own restaurant is something else.  I'm not expecting them to sit in a warehouse building the PCs themselves, but give credit to the ones that are actually building the PCs for your company and probably not making as much money as you. But it's odd they aren't even trying to have their own individual PCs at least where you can get, say, the "Emiru" PC which has the parts she chose and it is decorated and painted reflecting her style. It's just people that play games on twitch and think well we play on PCs, let's sell our own PCs. I don't like that. What I enjoyed when getting into LTT and JayzTwoCents is actually learning how the PCs are working and how to build them myself and things. If you want to sell your prebuilts, then at least do it in a way that gets your fans into the tech don't do it just because you want to use your clout to make more money off them.

Anyone knows which keyboard they are using there? Looks neat.

So there is a lot of big streamers that are a part of this, all who stream pretty much every day....how much involvement do they actually have with running this company? or is it just "my name is on the website"?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

@jtsoi I have merged your thread into the Thread surrounding the video. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

56 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@jtsoi I have merged your thread into the Thread surrounding the video. 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, jtsoi said:

Not sure if this is the right section but though I should post it here. Asmongold watching LTT's review of the Starforge PC.

Why does it sound like he keeps drifting in and out of a Morty from Rick and Morty impression? Is that a streamer thing I'm not cool enough to understand?

re: his "our logo is supposed to be Thor's hammer" rant: I thought it was supposed to be a joystick. 🤷‍♂️

So did Linus, apparently.

EDIT: Here's how I'd fix it. Flip it upside-down and add gaps between the diamond shape and the sides of the hammer head to match the ones on the sides of the handle. Now it's plainly obvious what it's supposed to be, and it still flows because the chamfers on the hammer head are at the same angle as the lines that make up the diamond "behind" it. (Disclaimer: I am not a graphic designer.)

Spoiler

image.png.77fb9f4442be15b89b5b29c5aa2e8e81.png

The original image is apparently their YouTube profile picture, but I just yoinked it off of Google Images.

Edited by Needfuldoer

15 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

because there can only be one colton in BC.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

because there can only be one colton in BC.

That's right.

(It's a joke, you guys.)

18 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Maybe it's because people don't want to do something and rather pay people to do it for them? 

Not everyone is Dentist.

9 minutes ago, lootfree said:

Not everyone is Dentist.

But some people are Dentists, so why get upset that they BUY a nice PC/bike instead of building their own from parts?

I'm not a dentist, and I build my own computers.  But I know other people that don't, because they have jobs and families and hobbies and no time to save a few bucks building their own computers. 

Both are valid options, it depends on peoples circumstances.

20 hours ago, FATE1027 said:

Just because you can do it doesn't mean that everyone else can. Different people have different skill sets and by saying that you can do something doesn't mean that everyone else can.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

But some people are Dentists, so why get upset that they BUY a nice PC/bike instead of building their own from parts?

I'm not a dentist, and I build my own computers.  But I know other people that don't, because they have jobs and families and hobbies and no time to save a few bucks building their own computers. 

Both are valid options, it depends on peoples circumstances.

Bro, my best friend is afraid to build his pc, he ask me to help. You cannot expect everyone is you. I don't saying to defense Asmon or whoever. But you cannot believe in this everyone know 2+2=4. I help on everyone of my friends for buildings, but for ppl who have zero clue. gl to build parts and build by themself.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:48 PM, jtsoi said:

Not sure if this is the right section but though I should post it here. Asmongold watching LTT's review of the Starforge PC.

For those that enjoy tech drama, this is the best you can get for something that doesn't involve the entire Artesian story or anything involving Steve from GN being salty.