Water, chiller?

Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
1 hour ago, Cramig88 said:

Hey all,

So I’m upgrading my exotic build, no need for specs. Right now she’s shoved in a O11 dynamic “XL” (really not, extra large…) with a bunch of radiators n so on

just got a TT View 71 case. Very familiar with it since I did a prior build for my daughter using it. It’s so large, I’m upset I’m using the O11.

Anywho, is there a product out there that cools water similar to a refrigerator?  That is r-34 refrigerant along with a controller?

Just wondering out of curiosity. I have enough room (prob) or externally to run water lines.

I only ask cause my kids build has geez, uh, 3x 360 rads, 1x 140 and a d5 500ml pump/res - much larger case as I said. Mine, has a distro plate, 3x 360s and a 120.  Regardless of how many fans I shove in there (2500rpm always on 100%) I peak around 57-61c. Overclocked Cpu and gpu, both with monoblocks.

don’t know if anybody’s ever done something like this before, toss in a condenser to chill water….  Aside from all the scientific junk like condensation (I’ll figure something out), wondering if anybody has pulled this off before

my other idea was to run lines outside the pc then simply into a gigantic water jug (more volume is better… not really) with a submersible water pump - but that would be like 10 gallons a minute, lot a bit overkill. Way too much water pressure

Other idea was to get a few radiators, a not so powerful pump, then shove the rads infront of an air conditioner…

anybody got suggestions?  I’ve even considered having two seperate loops, submerge my water radiators into mineral oil, then loop the oil through a radiator or two. But then I figured I’d reach ambient (average, whatever it’s called) temperature anyways. Just cause oil don’t transfer heat so quick don’t mean in a few hours it won’t be as warm as the water.  Besides, my thermals would be (presuming) the same as the mineral oil

so yeah, a condenser from a refrigerator is my thought on this one. U know, oh I want cold water. Shove a glass in the front of a fridge and bam it’s cold. I’d like something like that. I can figure out the details/construction/logistics later.  Just wanna know if something like this exists

thanks!

Basically…. Just don’t. 

You can throw more rads at it, but it likely won’t help. Your going to run into thermal transfer being your bottleneck. More rads and more fans won’t help unless as your suggesting, being the ambient temp of the water way down. But there is no point, it’s just a waste of electricity and will heat your room up/make your AC have to work harder to remove the hundreds of watts of heat crates by the chiller that is now dumping into your room. 

The only reason exotic cooling is useful is for extreme OC, then phase change, TEC’s like Peltier junctions, or LN2 (most people just use LN2, cuz everything else is sub par….), but for day to day use it just doesn’t matter at all. Running a chip cooler won’t help anything except maybe allow for TOPS 100Mhz more which is meaningless. It will introduce potential for condensation which is how you kill hardware, it will increase electricity usage, it will dump a lot of extra waste heat into your room, and it will be way more complex, again, all for no real gain. 

The no joke best idea is just duct an AC at the front of the PC. If you were going to use AC anyways, pump all of that cold air at the PC first. That way your not using any extra electricity since the AC would have been on anyways, and the temp in your room will end up the same but your getting nice concentrated cooling directly in the PC. Ugly… yes. Lol. But again, none of this is worth while. 

For reference, I run a 420x45mm and a 280x60mm, D5, and a 10700k @5.2 and 2080 @2050MHz and my GPU is usually 50c in game, and CPU is low to mid 60’s. More rads likely wouldn’t help much as your experiencing. The main reason to water cool is for the silence. My fans top out at 900 rpm, 1100 in the summer when my room is ~78-80f and I don’t want to use AC lol. 

Hey all,

So I’m upgrading my exotic build, no need for specs. Right now she’s shoved in a O11 dynamic “XL” (really not, extra large…) with a bunch of radiators n so on

just got a TT View 71 case. Very familiar with it since I did a prior build for my daughter using it. It’s so large, I’m upset I’m using the O11.

Anywho, is there a product out there that cools water similar to a refrigerator?  That is r-34 refrigerant along with a controller?

Just wondering out of curiosity. I have enough room (prob) or externally to run water lines.

I only ask cause my kids build has geez, uh, 3x 360 rads, 1x 140 and a d5 500ml pump/res - much larger case as I said. Mine, has a distro plate, 3x 360s and a 120.  Regardless of how many fans I shove in there (2500rpm always on 100%) I peak around 57-61c. Overclocked Cpu and gpu, both with monoblocks.

don’t know if anybody’s ever done something like this before, toss in a condenser to chill water….  Aside from all the scientific junk like condensation (I’ll figure something out), wondering if anybody has pulled this off before

my other idea was to run lines outside the pc then simply into a gigantic water jug (more volume is better… not really) with a submersible water pump - but that would be like 10 gallons a minute, lot a bit overkill. Way too much water pressure

Other idea was to get a few radiators, a not so powerful pump, then shove the rads infront of an air conditioner…

anybody got suggestions?  I’ve even considered having two seperate loops, submerge my water radiators into mineral oil, then loop the oil through a radiator or two. But then I figured I’d reach ambient (average, whatever it’s called) temperature anyways. Just cause oil don’t transfer heat so quick don’t mean in a few hours it won’t be as warm as the water.  Besides, my thermals would be (presuming) the same as the mineral oil

so yeah, a condenser from a refrigerator is my thought on this one. U know, oh I want cold water. Shove a glass in the front of a fridge and bam it’s cold. I’d like something like that. I can figure out the details/construction/logistics later.  Just wanna know if something like this exists

thanks!

Yep waterchilllers do exist, mainly in the form of aquarium ones but there are some enthusiasts that break open a freaking ac unit and shove the cold side into a tub of antifreeze

Waterchillers are meh for sheer cooling, phase change is better since the refrigerant goes straight to the thing you are cooling without having to use a medium like water so colder temps, though theyre quite alot harder to build compared to just sticking the cold side of an ac unit into a tub, basically like a refrigerator but its cooling your cpu

Pros of chiller loop : easy to build and setup compared to phase change and more stable temps (i mean youd need a pretty big tub to submerge the cold side of an ac unit so lots of thermal mass to cool down and heat up)

Cons of chiller loop : not as good as phase for sheer temps

Pros of phase change : lower temp than a chiller loop

Cons of phase change : needs special tools and certification to build (not to mention its pretty hard to build) and temp wont be as stable as a chiller loop since theres not much thermal mass to soak up the cold and heat

But both have 1 thing in common downfall wise which is power consumption, much more efficient than a crappy tec but they still consume a decent amount of power, if you just want subzero rams you dont need much (<100w) but subzero cpu or gpu you need ridicolous amounts of cooling capability since those are very high power. Basically not viable for daily due to high power consumption except maybe ram since those are ridicolously easy to subzero since they dont output much heat though not exactly useful unless you got some bdies or hynix djr you wanna run at ludicrous speeds/tight timings and problably excessive voltages that youd need epowered rams to run at so the imc dont degrade (>1.8v) aka still useless since ram dont matter that much for performance =p

If you wanna give it a shot for daily ram subzero, although useless (since not many programs really need the ridicolous bandwidth 5000+ gives) atleast you got bragging rights and a properly unique system. If you wanna go subzero the cpu or gpu then sure go ahead though rip powerbills and you may need to rig more than 1 ac unit chiller to your system considering the power outputs of todays components

Oh and youll also need some insulation but usually you just cover all the smds, open pads/contacts, even exposed through hole pins on the back with something like plastidip, liquid tape, etc. To stop any water from shorting them and for the waterblocks or the back of the socket aka source of condensation/really cold areas use something insulating like closed cell foam (even packing foam works if its thicc enough) or for the back of the socket art eraser

1 hour ago, Cramig88 said:

Hey all,

thanks!

Basically…. Just don’t. 

You can throw more rads at it, but it likely won’t help. Your going to run into thermal transfer being your bottleneck. More rads and more fans won’t help unless as your suggesting, being the ambient temp of the water way down. But there is no point, it’s just a waste of electricity and will heat your room up/make your AC have to work harder to remove the hundreds of watts of heat crates by the chiller that is now dumping into your room. 

The only reason exotic cooling is useful is for extreme OC, then phase change, TEC’s like Peltier junctions, or LN2 (most people just use LN2, cuz everything else is sub par….), but for day to day use it just doesn’t matter at all. Running a chip cooler won’t help anything except maybe allow for TOPS 100Mhz more which is meaningless. It will introduce potential for condensation which is how you kill hardware, it will increase electricity usage, it will dump a lot of extra waste heat into your room, and it will be way more complex, again, all for no real gain. 

The no joke best idea is just duct an AC at the front of the PC. If you were going to use AC anyways, pump all of that cold air at the PC first. That way your not using any extra electricity since the AC would have been on anyways, and the temp in your room will end up the same but your getting nice concentrated cooling directly in the PC. Ugly… yes. Lol. But again, none of this is worth while. 

For reference, I run a 420x45mm and a 280x60mm, D5, and a 10700k @5.2 and 2080 @2050MHz and my GPU is usually 50c in game, and CPU is low to mid 60’s. More rads likely wouldn’t help much as your experiencing. The main reason to water cool is for the silence. My fans top out at 900 rpm, 1100 in the summer when my room is ~78-80f and I don’t want to use AC lol. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

You make a valid point. One way or the other it comes down to heat transfer. So, air conditioner, more rads, really it don’t matter. Until somehow, I put my pc outside and the ambient is say 20c. Otherwise I’m simply dumping more heat/friction into the mix

a 100mhz increase is the diff between a crash let alone stability.  Stability isn’t exactly measured within 100mhz, esp if it means a crash clicking on an app.

Far as upgrading the case, these are good words of advice. At least I can be satisfied mentally, I get a case I love and a Pc that’s already pushed to the brink.

perhaps since I know the case well, i should “close the book” and do the transfer.  Pumping money into it wouldn’t make sense. Suppose my next upgrade would be RGB (puke).

nothing against rgb fanatics but, geez. I have a pool of servers internally - the pretty lights are useless to me

although, it is a good idea to pipe a AC directly to my pc - at least during summer. Sure it’ll look ugly but I won’t be sweating in my office cause 50-67c is “ambient”

Also heat transfer is a great point. Even if my block is say 20c, it won’t transfer heat any faster or better. At a point cooling is a bottleneck - even sub zero (condensation, money, power, everything else you mentioned)