just got 4 free computers

drakon543

so as the title states i was given 4 free computers 

1 dell t1700 intel xeon

1 dell optiplex unknown model i3 6100 ddr4 with m.2 support

2 more optiplex one also with a i3 6100 but ddr3 and one i3 4100 ddr3.

various extra parts 1 2.5 ssd couple hdd 2 mini disc drives 1 full size disc drive.  what appears to be a pci serial adapter card.  also an asus audio pci card.  

since i have enough parts to definitely assemble 1 fully working pc and i should have enough for a second.  probably going to put one together for my daughter.  and 1 or 2 are going to be given away once i get them together to people who have no computer.  i dont know much about that t1700 any suggestions there would be good.  is it viable as a freebie home computer?  im primarily an amd guy, but its a xeon 3.1 ghz 4 slot ddr3 with 4 sata ports.

T1700 is a nice system. Do you know the specs? Also, does it have ram and whatnot in it? Does it work?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

4 minutes ago, Pickles von Brine said:

T1700 is a nice system. Do you know the specs? Also, does it have ram and whatnot in it? Does it work?

had 2 8gb hynix sticks in it.  identical to what my current el cheapo msi 970 gaming mb already has in it so i gave myself 32gb for giggles and verification the ram worked.  i ended up with 2 8gb 1 4gb and 2 2gb sticks.of ddr3.  haven't verified what the 3 smaller sticks are exactly besides 1 kingston and 2 unknowns.  aside from each one of the 4 missing various parts i was informed they all worked until the office got new computers and these weren't needed anymore.  if your curious about that t1700 i will look into it further.

51 minutes ago, drakon543 said:

had 2 8gb hynix sticks in it.  identical to what my current el cheapo msi 970 gaming mb already has in it so i gave myself 32gb for giggles and verification the ram worked.  i ended up with 2 8gb 1 4gb and 2 2gb sticks.of ddr3.  haven't verified what the 3 smaller sticks are exactly besides 1 kingston and 2 unknowns.  aside from each one of the 4 missing various parts i was informed they all worked until the office got new computers and these weren't needed anymore.  if your curious about that t1700 i will look into it further.

Um, ram is one thing but what else? Processor? What kind of storage? etc. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

6 hours ago, Pickles von Brine said:

Um, ram is one thing but what else? Processor? What kind of storage? etc. 

lol that's why i said id look at it further.  i cant tell much about the processor until i pull up its printed model and haven't bothered beyond pulling the ram out of it.  it only had a psu mb cpu and ram and a disc drive.  ill actually read the print on the mb and processor today when i get back from work.

If you put the service tag (serial number) of each machine into Dell's support site, you can see when the machines shipped and what hardware they had when they left the factory.

The T1700 has Xeon v3 and v4 systems, so Haswell and Broadwell. The rest are a mix of Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake. They're all still viable desktops, but not exactly gaming powerhouses.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, drakon543 said:

lol that's why i said id look at it further.  i cant tell much about the processor until i pull up its printed model and haven't bothered beyond pulling the ram out of it.  it only had a psu mb cpu and ram and a disc drive.  ill actually read the print on the mb and processor today when i get back from work.

If the system is in a useable state with Windows, you can use CPU-Z to identify the CPU.
CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

All you need is the zipped (Portable) version.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

If the system is in a useable state with Windows, you can use CPU-Z to identify the CPU.
CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

All you need is the zipped (Portable) version.

Don't even need that. Just use msinfo32, old school style.

5 hours ago, iSynthMan said:

Or maybe even the UEFI BIOS

11 hours ago, iSynthMan said:

Whatever works to ID it will do, that's the important thing.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:03 AM, Needfuldoer said:

The T1700 has Xeon v3 and v4 systems, so Haswell and Broadwell. The rest are a mix of Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake. They're all still viable desktops, but not exactly gaming powerhouses.

I have a Xeon E3 1280V3. It was the final upgrade for my old gaming system, replacing an i5 4440. If you are going to game in 1080p with a reasonably decent GPU, a 1280V3 is more than enough for 60FPS 1080p. My problem with it was video rendering. My render times were... Long. But, I slapped a Noctua NH-D15S on mine, and at 100% load, after 3-4 straight days pegged in a render, it never gets above 63°C.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022