Are capacitors supposed to crackle? Please help new GPU from newegg.

soloredis420
Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
2 minutes ago, soloredis420 said:

I still have 15 days return period left but newegg is fighting me tooth and nail claiming they did not ship it poorly. Only proof they did ship it poorly is,  I have is my unboxing video where the air bags were put on the top in the box but not on the bottom. like whyy new egg. I never will be shopping with them again, its like they purposely screw their customers. 

That would be a manufacturer’s defect. Not shipping. If it got handled poorly enough to try to break solder off a capacitor to the point it looks raised you wouldn’t have been able to recognize the box when it showed up. 

I think my GPU was damaged in shipping from newegg, this does not sound like coil whine as I heard it before and this is different. There is a crackle buzzing popping sound coming from the back of my graphics card, I narrowed it down by using a tube and putting my ear to it. The graphics card is brand new, and has not been overclocked ect. Its an MSI rtx 3080 TI gaming trio 12G. The noise is specifically coming from that little square on the back of the GPU. One of the little black capacitors looks like its raised up higher than the other. 

image.png.4ab2a406a6c81e04cb1162d30dac6e99.png

Capacitors are not supposed to 'crackle'.  If you are sure it is the cap, then I would start thinking of doing an RMA., especially if it was originally already damaged in shipping.  Did you take any pics of the damage?

2 minutes ago, mmk said:

Capacitors are not supposed to 'crackle'.  If you are sure it is the cap, then I would start thinking of doing an RMA., especially if it was originally already damaged in shipping.  Did you take any pics of the damage?

I still have 15 days return period left but newegg is fighting me tooth and nail claiming they did not ship it poorly. Only proof they did ship it poorly is,  I have is my unboxing video where the air bags were put on the top in the box but not on the bottom. like whyy new egg. I never will be shopping with them again, its like they purposely screw their customers. 

2 minutes ago, soloredis420 said:

That would be a manufacturer’s defect. Not shipping. If it got handled poorly enough to try to break solder off a capacitor to the point it looks raised you wouldn’t have been able to recognize the box when it showed up. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, soloredis420 said:

You do understand that the airbags being on the bottom of the box would only be different provided the box never turned onto any of the other 5 sides of the box during shipping? Thats more than likely why newegg is perplexed at the reasoning.

That being said. A surface mount capacitor will have little to do with shipping. The surface mount capacitor more than likely wouldn't even be damaged if you dropped the cards box from an airplane.

You can still return the card regardless and exchange it for one that doesn't make noise but drop the whole shipping complaint.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

You do understand that the airbags being on the bottom of the box would only be different provided the box never turned onto any of the other 5 sides of the box during shipping? Thats more than likely why newegg is perplexed at the reasoning.

That being said. A surface mount capacitor will have little to do with shipping. The surface mount capacitor more than likely wouldn't even be damaged if you dropped the cards box from an airplane.

You can still return the card regardless and exchange it for one that doesn't make noise but drop the whole shipping complaint.

Well that's good to know, is it possible a faulty PSU can transfer noise over there? I used a tube to listen but I was reading on some other forums it could. I have an 850 watt gold certified corsair modular. Thinking about swapping it since best buy lets you return stuff just to test. Would that be worth it? 

5 minutes ago, soloredis420 said:

Well that's good to know, is it possible a faulty PSU can transfer noise over there? I used a tube to listen but I was reading on some other forums it could. I have an 850 watt gold certified corsair modular. Thinking about swapping it since best buy lets you return stuff just to test. Would that be worth it? 

what you have could be considered coil whine which is basically just components making noise under load.

I'll say right now , there is no such thing as a diagnostic workflow for coil whine. Anything causes it. So much so that even your houses electricity can cause a totally different build to make noise as well. You can try a new card or psu just dont expect it to work.

I've had graphics card make those noises before, usually only under extreme loads, consider trying to take a video or recording the sound so you could show us, it might be normal but I wouldn't think so.

Yours faithfully