Docked Nintendo Switch OLED only outputs in 480p

Garlic
I recently bought a Nintendo Switch OLED with the intention of mostly using it docked on my 1440p gaming monitor at my desk. I have a lot of devices here, so I use a 4 PC to 1 monitor KVM switch from Level 1 Techs and assigned the 4th channel to my Nintendo Switch dock using an active HDMI to DisplayPort adapter drawing power from one of the USB ports on the dock itself, but no matter what I do the Nintendo refuses to output anything higher than a 480p signal. I use premium DP 1.4 cables, and I have made sure that all software is up to date. I even tested the Nintendo and its dock on my living room TV to make sure that it was not broken, and there it was perfectly capable of outputting 1080p as it should.

Why does my Nintendo hate my monitor? Have any of you had a similar experience?

Is this a third party or older system dock?  A brief search on Reddit shows you are not the first with this problem, but most attribute it to running on 3rd party docks.  

You are not alone in your struggles.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

16 minutes ago, Garlic said:

I recently bought a Nintendo Switch OLED with the intention of mostly using it docked on my 1440p gaming monitor at my desk. I have a lot of devices here, so I use a 4 PC to 1 monitor KVM switch from Level 1 Techs and assigned the 4th channel to my Nintendo Switch dock using an active HDMI to DisplayPort adapter drawing power from one of the USB ports on the dock itself, but no matter what I do the Nintendo refuses to output anything higher than a 480p signal. I use premium DP 1.4 cables, and I have made sure that all software is up to date. I even tested the Nintendo and its dock on my living room TV to make sure that it was not broken, and there it was perfectly capable of outputting 1080p as it should.

Why does my Nintendo hate my monitor? Have any of you had a similar experience?

What happens if you remove the KVM switch? Can it display higher resolutions?

I use an original dock, the one that came with the system even.

And yeah, there is a lot of posts on Reddit, but most of them are about how Switch firmware 4.0.0 broke compatibility with a lot of older TVs and monitors, but apparently that issue was fixed by firmware 4.1.0. I haven't seen any recent posts about this issue.

9 minutes ago, Naijin said:

What happens if you remove the KVM switch? Can it display higher resolutions?

I just checked. Taking the KVM switch out of the loop does nothing, I still only get 480p.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:42 PM, Garlic said:

I just checked. Taking the KVM switch out of the loop does nothing, I still only get 480p.

The menu of the switch runs at 720p.

You need to be in games for 1080p.

Also, make sure that, in the console Settings, the resolution is set to 1080p, full colors 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

The menu of the switch runs at 720p.

You need to be in games for 1080p.

Also, make sure that, in the console Settings, the resolution is set to 1080p, full colors 

That is the problem, there are no 720p/1080p option, only 480p and 'automatic' which looks like a squished 480.

I got another active HDMI to DP converter off of Amazon that specifically listed the nintendo Switch as compatible, but I still have no luck. I am looking into updating the monitors firmware as a last resort, but other than that it looks like my dream of playing in docked mode will not be achievable.