Is it must to use DDU

lwzi

Just wanted to ask if its really necessary to use DDU each driver update if I'm not switching GPU just updating to the latest driver. I haven't used DDU with my old rig not at least once just installed the latest driver from GEFORCE EXPERIENCE and everything worked fine, but it was GTX 1660 and right now I have RTX 3060 Ti and so far many people complain about how 30 series drivers suck and everyone has different kind of issues in the NVIDIA feedback site and I really don't know if I should use DDU to install latest drivers or should I just install new drivers from GEFORCE EXPERIENCE restart my pc after installation and good to go.

If you're upgrading drivers you do not have to use DDU before installing the newer drivers on top of the old ones. 

If you're having issues related to your graphics card, then you can use DDU to ensure there is no hidden files affecting the drivers.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

If you changed the GPU I would recommend DDU, even if both are Nvidia. There may be som settings and stuff that hang around from the previous card.

But you dont need to DDU for just a normal driver update.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

I run DDU once or twice a year just for maintenance when updating drivers, but no. Unless you have problems that may be driver related it is not a must. Clean drivers from time to time may be nice though.

Only use it when I have an actual issue I cant figure out. So maybe 3 times in a decade. But tends not to be the issue. Its never really needed if using the same driver anyway, performing a clean install is more than enough.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz