12700k - Formula 690 - 5600 Dominator - would not post, boots now, runs like crap, sound issues

Go to solution Solved by Kangaroo Factory,

I solved it. Riser cable.

The initial problems were cmos issues due to the computer being off for week. Should have never happened. Probably an Asus issue.

However, while taking it apart to solve my initial problem, i must have nicked the riser cable. The last three prongs on the riser cable had lifted off.

The tiny lack of uniformity caught my eye while i was swapping in another known power supply. It doesnt really show in the picture.

I plugged the gpu directly into the mb, and the audio issues were gone.

IMG_20220924_202413.jpg

Built the computer in May. It worked fine from May to the end of August. Zero issues.

The computer was off for a week while a replaced a light with ceiling fan. I flipped the breaker back on, but the computer would not post. Code 28, restart, code 28, restart. After a lot of persistence, I got it to boot.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1453178-z690-formula-12700k-00-cpu-code-every-few-seconds-on-boot/#comment-15560523

I got back into Windows, but the computer didn't run right. It was slow. Some programs wouldn't run. Windows said the DLL was wrong. The sound would slow down and break up every few seconds. So I decided to start clean, format and install a fresh copy of windows.

But the poor performance and sound issues have continued. The computer will also freeze and crash intermittently.

I ran the error checking tool on the m2 drives. The m2's are fine.

I ran Memtest86. The ram is fine.

I ran Intel's diagnostic tool. The 12700k is fine.

I ran AVG's full scan, boot scan, and quick scan. It was fine.

I was running Windows Defender Full Scan as I was typing this. It was almost done, but the computer went black, and after about ten seconds, rebooted itself.

So the computer hasn't made it more than 20 minutes without crashing.

I have another CPU. I have another ram stick. I have a another PSU. I'm getting another Formula 690 MB in the mail tomorrow. After I see how that swap goes, I'm going to call ASUS tech support on Tuesday.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Any ideas?

So I'm investigating the sound more.

Service manager host diagnostic policy service goes to 30% when I do something.

Here's a onedrive link to a video.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvsO0rkUe83siJwE5bAqvzoYkAL9Rw

After more investigation, I can trigger the sound issue by moving a window around, but the mouse by itself doesn't necessarily make the sound break up. I'm thinking it might be related to powertoys.

Getting rid of powertoys made no difference.

I got the new motherboard. Swapped over. Still have the same issues.

I deleted Realtek drivers. Disabled USB audio. Friend suggested this. Didn't work.

I rolled back my bios. Didn't work.

I upgraded to Windows 11 didn't work.

I'm at a loss and going to bed.

• 2 weeks later...

I solved it. Riser cable.

The initial problems were cmos issues due to the computer being off for week. Should have never happened. Probably an Asus issue.

However, while taking it apart to solve my initial problem, i must have nicked the riser cable. The last three prongs on the riser cable had lifted off.

The tiny lack of uniformity caught my eye while i was swapping in another known power supply. It doesnt really show in the picture.

I plugged the gpu directly into the mb, and the audio issues were gone.

IMG_20220924_202413.jpg