z690 formula - 12700k - 00 cpu code every few seconds on boot

Kangaroo Factory

I had my computer off for about a week. Lots of stuff going on. Finally I finished what i set out to do. I cut a hole in the ceiling, put in a fan rated box,  installed a ceiling fan.  Great success.

Flipped the breaker back on and I get this. 

Code 00 CPU followed by other codes. Then back to CPU code 00. Loops forever. 

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvsO0rkUe83siJpEx9q4DJI6HGQfKw

(one drive video link) 

It wont boot. It wont display. It just loops. 

I tried turning off the power and removing the battery for a minute. 

I tried clearing the cmos with the button. 

I tried swapping the power supply. 

I tried pulling one stick of ram. Both sticks. Swapping positions.

I pulled every cord from the back. I pulled the sata connections. 

I disconnected the graphics card. 

I flashed the bios to the latest update. Flashback is cool, but it didnt work either. 

So what's going on?

That makes sense.  A few different things might be happening.  I hope you take bad news well.

1) The fan is on the same circuit as the computer and is messing with the line frequency in which case a power cleaner or ups might solve things for certain definitions of the word “solved”.

2) the fan (which has a great big slow electric motor in it of an antique style) is producing EMI that is messing with things. If this is the case the problem will stop if the fan is turned off.  If turning off the fan also turns off the computer then go directly to 4 (or possibly 5)

3) the circuit both the fan and your computer is on, or possibly the whole house electrical system is weak or overloaded and the fan is the straw that broke the camel’s back. (For an extreme visual of this one watch “a Christmas story”) 

4) your DIY, or even the DIY of a previous owner’s electrical was messed up in some horrible way producing 1-3

5) some combination of 1-4

while the really real solution for this one is a certified electrician and a wheelbarrow full of money, I somehow think that isn’t in the cards.  The solution to 1 or 2 would be a separate circuit with separate ground for the computer outlet which is usually but not always far more expensive than a power cleaner or UPS, merely a separate ground may possibly fix 2, but unless you happen to have metal pipes (old fashioned upright radiators work especially well for this, though there is the danger that someone fixed the system with a plastic piece which makes the whole thing useless so it’s no longer legal) it’s usually almost as expensive as a full separate circuit which has other advantages, so you might as well put one in. 3 May require a larger service for your house which is even more expensive. Mine cost 5 grand.

I’d say the cheapest solution is to remove the fan and put things back the way they were, but 4 makes that one unreliable and may make the really real solution the only tenable one.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's a good idea. 

So I moved the computer to another circuit to test your theory, but I still have the same problem.

00 cpu, other codes, then loops, with cpu fan revving. 

Im considering rebuilding the computer. Reseating the cpu. 

2 minutes ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

It's a good idea. 

So I moved the computer to another circuit to test your theory, but I still have the same problem.

00 cpu, other codes, then loops, with cpu fan revving. 

Im considering rebuilding the computer. Reseating the cpu. 

That could just mean the problem is more extreme than it might be.  Or it’s in the computer. The timing implies the first, but coincidence is not causality.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So I tried a number of things this morning. Reseat cpu. Swap ram sticks in every possible config. 

What I noticed is that the Computer gets past code 00, gets to 26 or 28 and then restarts. 

So I ordered a ddr5 ram stick, cheapest one of pc part picker. 

And I ordered a 12 gen cpu. 

Gonna swap those in. If neither of those fix the problem, I'll try and warranty the mb with Asus.

15 minutes ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

So I tried a number of things this morning. Reseat cpu. Swap ram sticks in every possible config. 

What I noticed is that the Computer gets past code 00, gets to 26 or 28 and then restarts. 

So I ordered a ddr5 ram stick, cheapest one of pc part picker. 

And I ordered a 12 gen cpu. 

Gonna swap those in. If neither of those fix the problem, I'll try and warranty the mb with Asus.

That may change things.  I don’t know what those codes mean though.  It’s trying to post but not succeeding.  I don’t know what those codes mean.

Quick thought just to confirm:  the thing worked fine originally correct?

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Quick thought just to confirm:  the thing worked fine originally correct?

yes

Do you have any other high draw devices? An electric space heater perhaps? The power draw thing is just more likely than a computer going bad just sitting there.  I wonder if maybe there was a power surge. Was the computer plugged in when you were doing your electrical work?

Edited by Bombastinator

1 hour ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

ya, but the breaker was off. Computer is connected to a zerosurge 8R15W. 

Sounds like a surge suppressor power strip. Those things have a weakness: they only suppress surges for so long.  A lot of them use a device which degrades slowly as it is used and eventually they’re basically extension cords.  The number is real variable so one has to look at the box.  It isn’t always mentioned on the device.  So if it’s a really old surge suppressor it’s basically an extension cord at this point.  You can buy wall warts that do it though so all it takes is changing the wall wart every few years.  No rummaging under the desk pulling out plugs and moving them to a new power strip.  Doesn’t matter in this case because the breaker was off.  There wasn’t any power to surge.  Turning it back on may have done something, but it’s less likely and less dangerous if it did happen. Maybe a new PSU.  That’s it though.  I wish I knew what those code numbers meant.  That kind of thing can be motherboard specific. They might tell you at what point the thing horks and dies though.

1 minute ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

The zerosurge is a serious unit. They cost almost 300 dollars each. 

It may have an unlimited lifespan then.  There’s more than one way to do it.  It’s the cheap ones that have problems.  Could be worth checking. I suspect you’re fine though. 

Teamgroup ddr5 4800 8gb Ram arrived today. Same symptoms. No change. 

Waiting for processor. 

Got the 12100 today, installed it, same symptoms. 

So i swapped out psu, ram, cpu, and there was no change, which leaves the mobo. 

I guess my next step is to start a warranty claim with asus? 

Just now, Kangaroo Factory said:

Got the 12100 today, installed it, same symptoms. 

So i swapped out psu, ram, cpu, which leaves the mobo. 

I guess my next step is to start a warranty claim with asus? 

Yep.  It doesn’t act like a memory problem which is all that is left,

i gave it another try. Noticed something interesting. In three out of the four ram slots, it hangs on code 28 then restarts, but in the second slot, it flashes 4C for a microsecond before restarting.

With no ram, it still doesnt get to post, and restarts endlessly, but it does show different codes. 

I ordered another formula MB, should be here on Monday. Trying to start warranty process, but asus rma is down, and im on hold.

So I completely removed the MB to find the serial number, then the ASUS guy wanted me to check the q code lights, which are hidden under a shroud on this particular board, but I told him I would humor him, so reinstalled the motherboard and starting hooking things up. Then I saw the motherboard was getting hung up on different codes, so I kept installing parts. But then it got hung up on D6, oled said Cmos error, and then i kept clearing the cmos, pulling the battery, and i got 99 cmos error, so I kept hitting delete, and then, finally, i got a display, went into the bios, loaded defaults. And it booted to windows.

Im guessing the CMOS went wonky. Dont know why pulling the motherboard changed things. Dont know why resetting the cmos over and over and pulling the battery over and over finally got through. But I guess persistance pays off. 

Now I'm gonna have a bunch of return hits on my Amazon account.

2 minutes ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

So I completely removed the MB to find the serial number, then the ASUS guy wanted me to check the q code lights, which are hidden under a shroud on this particular board, but I told him I would humor him, so reinstalled the motherboard and starting hooking things up. Then I saw the motherboard was getting hung up on different codes, so I kept installing parts. But then it got hung up on D6, oled said Cmos error, and then i kept clearing the cmos, pulling the battery, and i got 99 cmos error, so I kept hitting delete, and then, finally, i got a display, went into the bios, loaded defaults. And it booted to windows.

Im guessing the CMOS went wonky. Dont know why pulling the motherboard changed things. Dont know why resetting the cmos over and over and pulling the battery over and over finally got through. But I guess persistance pays off. 

Now I'm gonna have a bunch of return hits on my Amazon account.

So there is a board manufacturer error that made the cmos not clear until you battered through it?

Spoke too soon. Disconnected the power. Mounted it to the wall. Reconnected everything. And back to the original problem. Error code 28. Restart. over and over.

The motherboard should be able to post with one stick of memory. A cpu, and nothing else.  Won’t be able to do much more than that of course.  With the last accidental success there was a thing pointing to bad cmos stuff correct?  Does this thing have some sort of cmos reflash that doesn’t require a post?  Some sort of usb thing usually if it’s got it.

I'm writing this from my computer now.

I tried clearing the CMOS and pulling the battery.

And I thought maybe it was the last thing I hooked up, so I pulled the front panel jumpers too.

It booted.

I reconnected the front panel jumpers thinking that would recreate the problem but it didn't. 

Anyway, Windows didn't work right. Ran terrible. Tried to run Amazon music and it said the DLL wasn't fit for Windows. Sound didn't work in games or chrome or Amazon. Crackling. Flitting in and out. Friend I called suggested driver problems.

So I made the decision to just nuke it and start over. Been playing the install windows game for the last few hours.

But I still have sound issues. I'm going to start a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...

So after discovering my audio issues were due to a damaged riser cable, i got another oled screen cmos error again when i switched back to my original motherboard.

Been despairing. My Dad died little over a week ago. I just got in car wreck today. My computer hasnt worked for a month. Business is not good. Just a tough time.

But i followed what this guy did, plugged in an hdmi cable into the mb, and voila, that solved the cmos issue.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/pc-won’t-post-and-no-display.294078/

So there's that. Some problems can be solved.

3 hours ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

So after discovering my audio issues were due to a damaged riser cable, i got another oled screen cmos error again when i switched back to my original motherboard.

Been despairing. My Dad died little over a week ago. I just got in car wreck today. My computer hasnt worked for a month. Business is not good. Just a tough time.

But i followed what this guy did, plugged in an hdmi cable into the mb, and voila, that solved the cmos issue.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/pc-won’t-post-and-no-display.294078/

So there's that. Some problems can be solved.

Wow.  That’s enough to clinically depress a person.  You might want to see someone about it.  They can do things about it these days.  My dad’s death messed me up for a good while. I didn’t see how bad it was but those around me did.  And paid for it.  Depression is insidious. It can mess with your ability to make decisions.  And sap amazing amounts of energy.  
As far as the computer goes though, This is the way.  Especially if there are multiple problems. The upside of IGPs can be larger than they seem.  Even if you have a dGPU they can wind up being more than worth the extra cost. Yours just paid for itself even if you never use it again.    There are some wild and wooly tricks that can be played with them too.  That thing where they made a mining gpu with no video out on it play games was pretty hardcore, but it’s not the only one.
  It’s true about problems though. I’ll try to remember that one.