Seemingly random jumps to 100% Disk usage leading to PC freezing (Windows 10)

Hello guys,

so basically for the last couple of weeks i got those seemingly random Disk usage spikes on my C: drive wich occour randomly (at least i havend figuered out a pattern yet).

I have alredy observed the behavior in the task manager and as far as i can tell the disk usage just spikes to 100% and in the next few seconds all opened windows get unresponsive

(probably because something else is using all the avalilable disk bandwidth) before the whole OS just feezes.

My only option from there on to fix this problem is to press the reset button. 

When checking the resource values in task manager i also noticed that when i sort the processes tab descending by disk usage, no process is using that much bandwidth.

Unfortunately i dont know any other easy way to check for the disk bandwidth specific processes use.

If you need more information feel free to ask me.

I would really apprechiate it if someone could help me 🙂

I have gotten the same thing on my laptop. Are you using a HDD? When I was using my laptop with a HDD it did that time to time until I upgraded to an SSD. Mind you I leave it on all the time and I have never gotten any issues from upgrading my setup to a PC. The only thing (other than hardware (GPU & CPU)) that changes was going from a HDD to a SSD. Please provide more information about your specs and how you use your PC.

46 minutes ago, wLanKaBel_ said:

Hello guys,

so basically for the last couple of weeks i got those seemingly random Disk usage spikes on my C: drive wich occour randomly (at least i havend figuered out a pattern yet).

I have alredy observed the behavior in the task manager and as far as i can tell the disk usage just spikes to 100% and in the next few seconds all opened windows get unresponsive

(probably because something else is using all the avalilable disk bandwidth) before the whole OS just feezes.

My only option from there on to fix this problem is to press the reset button. 

When checking the resource values in task manager i also noticed that when i sort the processes tab descending by disk usage, no process is using that much bandwidth.

Unfortunately i dont know any other easy way to check for the disk bandwidth specific processes use.

If you need more information feel free to ask me.

I would really apprechiate it if someone could help me 🙂

Hello can you please list your system specs so i can help with the problem 

12 hours ago, Big Flubba said:

I have gotten the same thing on my laptop. Are you using a HDD? When I was using my laptop with a HDD it did that time to time until I upgraded to an SSD. Mind you I leave it on all the time and I have never gotten any issues from upgrading my setup to a PC. The only thing (other than hardware (GPU & CPU)) that changes was going from a HDD to a SSD. Please provide more information about your specs and how you use your PC.

11 hours ago, Noxitb said:

Hello can you please list your system specs so i can help with the problem 

My specs:

- Ryzen 5 1600 on asus rog b450 e gaming 

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 ti

- G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2 x 8 GB, 3200)

- recently upgraded to an Samsung 970 Evo Plus (2TB) (the issue didnt occor in the firdst month of using my new ssd. So it is probably not causing the problem), also i have a Seagate Barracuda HDD (2TB) for Games, and my old Patriot Burst SSD (250 GB) which i dont use atm.

I use my PC mainly for gaming and browsing the internet. In my opinion not really something that wold cause my PC to freeze because of a disk bottleneck.

What i also might add is that i recently almost installed some kind of malware (My Anti Virus Program fortunately caught onto it and put it into quaranaine right away).

Could my PC still have been comprimised, and some kind of virus is causing those Usage Spikes?

14 hours ago, wLanKaBel_ said:

My specs:

- Ryzen 5 1600 on asus rog b450 e gaming 

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 ti

- G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2 x 8 GB, 3200)

- recently upgraded to an Samsung 970 Evo Plus (2TB) (the issue didnt occor in the firdst month of using my new ssd. So it is probably not causing the problem), also i have a Seagate Barracuda HDD (2TB) for Games, and my old Patriot Burst SSD (250 GB) which i dont use atm.

I use my PC mainly for gaming and browsing the internet. In my opinion not really something that wold cause my PC to freeze because of a disk bottleneck.

What i also might add is that i recently almost installed some kind of malware (My Anti Virus Program fortunately caught onto it and put it into quaranaine right away).

Could my PC still have been comprimised, and some kind of virus is causing those Usage Spikes?

so what windows may be doing is that you hdd cant handle the load on the hdd and windows is offloading the work to the c drive the transferring it back so it is double loading also check the space left on your nvme and hdd  

10 hours ago, Noxitb said:

so what windows may be doing is that you hdd cant handle the load on the hdd and windows is offloading the work to the c drive the transferring it back so it is double loading also check the space left on your nvme and hdd  

Seems unlikely because most of te times when this happens to me i am watching YouTube or Twitch and none of my drives are under any kind of workload. Also all of my drives are not even close to beeing full.

Capture.PNG