Should i daisy chain my msi rtx 3080 gaming z trio 10g?

H1tmanzxc

Hello everyone,

I recently ordered an msi rtx 3080 gaming z trio 10g lhr and I was wondering if its okay to daisy chain it?

PC SPECS:

psu: thermaltake toughpower gf1 argb 750w (has only 2x 6+2 pcie cables)

cpu: ryzen 5 5600x (stock cooler, will replace it with something better later)

mobo: msi b550 gaming plus

storage: kingston nvmie m2 1tb

ram: 2x 8gb 3600mhz (ballistix)

From my research i should be fine with 750w PSU as long as i don't overclock it but the PSU has only 2x 6+2 pcie cables. Is it safe if i daisy chain it or should i buy another cable?

Thank you in advance.

2 minutes ago, H1tmanzxc said:

Hello everyone,

I recently ordered an msi rtx 3080 gaming z trio 10g lhr and I was wondering if its okay to daisy chain it?

PC SPECS:

psu: thermaltake toughpower gf1 argb 750w (has only 2x 6+2 pcie cables)

cpu: ryzen 5 5600x (stock cooler, will replace it with something better later)

mobo: msi b550 gaming plus

storage: kingston nvmie m2 1tb

ram: 2x 8gb 3600mhz (ballistix)

From my research i should be fine with 750w PSU as long as i don't overclock it but the PSU has only 2x 6+2 pcie cables. Is it safe if i daisy chain it or should i buy another cable?

Thank you in advance.

You mean SLI? No.  Only the 3090 even has a port for sli

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

preferably both connectors get their own dedicated cable, but if there's only one cable, well.. it's supposed to be capable of powering the two plugs at the end of it.

From what I gather, support for this has largely fallen by the wayside anyway.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

preferably both connectors get their own dedicated cable, but if there's only one cable, well.. it's supposed to be capable of powering the two plugs at the end of it.

Ah.  You’re talking power.  What is the wattage of your PSU? Specifically what is the wattage of that single rail that powers that cable with 12v. There’s a decent chance it’s flat out not enough, but not only that, amphere in general has a tendency to spike and May trip the OCP switch on the power supply even if there is technically enough wattage.  I don’t have great hopes for that particular psu.  I would set aside money to replace it with a good quality 850w if it doesn’t work out.  It is possible you will get blue screens or hard reboots or shutoffs with a “click” noise.  I don’t know if it’s worth trying first or not.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  You’re talking power.  What is the wattage of your PSU? Specifically what is the wattage of that single rail that powers that cable with 12v. There’s a decent chance it’s flat out not enough, but not only that, amphere in general has a tendency to spike and May trip the OCP switch on the power supply even if there is technically enough wattage.  I don’t have great hopes for that particular psu.  I would set aside money to replace it with a good quality 850w if it doesn’t work out.  It is possible you will get blue screens or hard reboots or shutoffs with a “click” noise.  I don’t know if it’s worth trying first or not.

Sorry i don't know exactly how to check that, this is the exact psu i have: https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-gf1-argb-750w-gold-tt-premium-edition.html

The Rtx 3080 i have ordered has 3x 8pin connector. Nvidia says i should be fine with 750W psu as long as i dont OC the gpu. The psu has only 4x 6+2 pcie pins in two cables, so my question is, is it okay if i daisy chain it? When ill get my gpu if my pc shuts down i will undervolt it enough so i dont lose performance. Changing the psu is a last resort.

Fine at stock. There are 3080 ti with only two 8 pins.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, H1tmanzxc said:

Sorry i don't know exactly how to check that, this is the exact psu i have: https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-gf1-argb-750w-gold-tt-premium-edition.html

The Rtx 3080 i have ordered has 3x 8pin connector. Nvidia says i should be fine with 750W psu as long as i dont OC the gpu. The psu has only 4x 6+2 pcie pins in two cables, so my question is, is it okay if i daisy chain it? When ill get my gpu if my pc shuts down i will undervolt it enough so i dont lose performance. Changing the psu is a last resort.

Says it’s 750 watts.  It’s got two cables?  And you’re getting both cables into the video card?  Then that’s all you can do.  It should be enough.  It was sounding like you only had one cable which would mean the PSU was too small.  750w is on the bleeding edge of too small though.  An 850w is what I would do with a 3080ti, or even just a 3080.  It could work. But if the machine suddenly starts balding or you’re getting full shutoffs get a bigger PSU.  The issue is transient spikes.  If the PSU is atx3.0, it has a slightly higher requirement for PSUs to handle that so a 750w PSU should be fine.

Edited by Bombastinator

I dont daisy chain. Sucks that recent psu's even offer that. Preferred my older ones that only had single 6+2's.
I run my 3090fe with dual 6pins on an 850 psu, no issues so far.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz