Underclocking 3070ti to stay within 500w psu

Turbof1
Go to solution Solved by --SID--,
12 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

Would a be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM be any good?

Nope. Cheap, low quality be quite! unit wit outdated design on the primary side of the PSU. You have to find a Tier A unit in your region.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 3070ti which I will receive today. Reflecting a bit, I was a bit too optimistic that my 500w psu would handle it. I will buy a higher wattage one next month, but in the meanwhile I want to avoid issues with the 500w psu through underclocking/undervolting the 3070ti. What would be recommendations for it regarding msi afterburner?

5 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

Hello,

I recently purchased a 3070ti which I will receive today. Reflecting a bit, I was a bit too optimistic that my 500w psu would handle it. I will buy a higher wattage one next month, but in the meanwhile I want to avoid issues with the 500w psu through underclocking/undervolting the 3070ti. What would be recommendations for it regarding msi afterburner?

Set your power limit low. Very low 50% or lower to avoid having OCP trip on you. I have a Mac Pro 4,1 (way different sure but hang on) and it only can do 200w max theoretical power to a GPU (only dual 6 pins) and using my 2080 Ti at full power will trip it. I had to set it to 60% and that card draws similar wattage to the 3070 Ti sooo, I'd suggest, 50%-70% power limit instead of the stock 100%

Just upgrade the psu, if its too expensive then there are some pretty reputable psus that are used and going for sometimes much cheaper than their new price

But if you cant for some reason then yea play around with power limits and set the highest power limit without triggering ocp (i think you can test full system power draw by smallest ffts prime95 + furmark gpu)

1 hour ago, Turbof1 said:

Hello,

What's the brand and model of the PSU?

@Dimondminer11 seems alright. I'll give that a go.

@Somerandomtechyboi I haven't budgeted a new psu this month. I could buy it without too much trouble, but given uncertain financial times in Europe, it is a matter of spreading costs. So I will buy a new one, but next month after my next salary deposit.

@--SID-- Corsair cx500m. Cpu is 5600x (no OC), so no heavy hitter cpu.

58 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

Corsair cx500m

Old (at least 7 years), low quality, outdated internal design and not reliable anymore. Don't use it with a 3070!

8 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Old (at least 7 years), low quality, outdated internal design and not reliable anymore. Don't use it with a 3070!

Well it is indeed old, but I am not aware of it being bad? I never ever had any issues whatsoever with it, have been using it with a 1070 for years now.

If it is bad however, I will wait with installing the 3070ti until I get a new psu. Would a be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM be any good?

12 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

Would a be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM be any good?

Nope. Cheap, low quality be quite! unit wit outdated design on the primary side of the PSU. You have to find a Tier A unit in your region.

Those are all rediculously priced. I am not out to buy a cheap psu that breaks down after a year, but I can't help to think I will be overpaying on features I simply do not need.

Well, you definitely need a PSU with LLC on the primary. All Tier A are and a bunch of Tier B except some be quiet!, EVGA and FSP.

23 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Well, you definitely need a PSU with LLC on the primary. All Tier A are and a bunch of Tier B except some be quiet!, EVGA and FSP.

Not sure what that is, but I will take that in consideration.

From what I have read, 650 watts should be doable. I am not going to overclock, and the cpu is also pretty low on the power demand. I am aware of the famous power spikes of the 30 series.

In that regard, would a Corsair TX650M 2021 do? it is not featured on the list as far as I can see, but does seem to have this LLC.

Thanks for the assist up to now btw! I know I am a bit difficult, but I want to avoid both underspending and overspending.

Just a little update: I replaced my psu which safely allows me to run the card back at 100%. Curiously, the card was performing not that much worse at 65% power limit vs 100%. 106 fps vs 116 fps in heaven benchmark.