Low fps on high end pc

s0lid
Go to solution Solved by s0lid,

Problem fixed there was no thermal paste on the gpu im ashamed of myself 😑 thanks for the help everybody 👍

Hi everybody, i dont understand why im getting low fps on every games my specs are :

RTX 2080

I7 9700k

16 gb ram 3200mhz

res : 1080p

PSU: 550w

my games are stored on a hdd not an ssd but i dont think this Will impact my fps that much.

but the weird thing is that i also have an rtx 2060 and for exemple in red dead redemption 2 with my 2060 on high/ultra settings i have 74 fps in game but when i switch to my 2080 i have like 30 fps in game i have tried other games like the New spider man with my 2060 i have 70 fps and with my 2080 i have 50 fps im lost and i have no other idea to try i hope one of you can help me to fix this issue.

what i have tried so far:

Reinstall Windows

Reinstall nvidia drivers

reset nvidia control pannel settings 

Update bios

12 hours ago, glenalz81 said:

Have you monitored clock speed and temps while playing?

I have checked my temps il around 75 -78 degres but ive never checked clock speed which software should I use ?

10 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

What model 2070 and 2080 do you have?

my 2080 is an asus rog strix 8gb triple fan and my 2060 is an evga ko double fan.

1 hour ago, s0lid said:

which software should I use ?

MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z i would recommend.

45 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z i would recommend.

okay thanks I Will check my clock speed and take screenshot , how much my clock speed should be normaly?

4 hours ago, s0lid said:

how much my clock speed should be normaly?

It varies from card to card, it will tell you in GPU-Z.

So i did the test with both software can you tell me if you see anything suspicious ?

gpuz.gif

1188607722_RedDeadRedemption2Screenshot2022_09.03-19_37_55_46.png

Hmm, Odd
Based on that MSI afterburner result, that would be an graphics card bottleneck?
So, my best bet would be to check the drivers, since there might be some rendering conflicts?
What version of DX is the RDR2 running on?
And it looks like very strong bottleneck, which shouldn't be happening with on Strix RTX2080

Strange, just saw the boost clocks, the card is not boosting at all
https://rog.asus.com/us/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx2080-o8g-gaming-model/spec/
Most likely caused by underperforming PSU
image.png.3a0c9faf08741ff04e083ea4d54f3001.png
Based on that MSI afterburner result, your GPU is pulling a third of the power it needs

Hi thanks for the answer I already reinstall drivers properly and it didn't fix the problem, I think rdr2 is running on dx12, I think I'll buy a new PSU 650w should be enough or should I take higher watt? 

7 hours ago, s0lid said:

Hi thanks for the answer I already reinstall drivers properly and it didn't fix the problem, I think rdr2 is running on dx12, I think I'll buy a new PSU 650w should be enough or should I take higher watt? 

Asus recommends a 650W PSU, and that means a 650W which can deliver either all of that power, or most of that power on the 12V.
So, get a good PSU, not just the cheapest thing that says 650W on it, look for revies, etc...
Reason that I point this out, was that I was having issues, where I had to reset MoBo CMOS/BIOS over and over, even though the PSU was claiming 600W (what was recommended by Gigabyte (I have the Gigabyte RX 5700 XT gaming OC), and we resolved it down to the PSU. THought about 2-3 Boards were dead at that point, but CMOS cler did the trick. Two of those boards are still in use.
I got good experience with Seasonic and corsair. 

2 hours ago, FinOxy said:

Asus recommends a 650W PSU, and that means a 650W which can deliver either all of that power, or most of that power on the 12V.
So, get a good PSU, not just the cheapest thing that says 650W on it, look for revies, etc...
Reason that I point this out, was that I was having issues, where I had to reset MoBo CMOS/BIOS over and over, even though the PSU was claiming 600W (what was recommended by Gigabyte (I have the Gigabyte RX 5700 XT gaming OC), and we resolved it down to the PSU. THought about 2-3 Boards were dead at that point, but CMOS cler did the trick. Two of those boards are still in use.
I got good experience with Seasonic and corsair. 

Thanks a lot for the time you're taking to answer me I ordered a 700w EVGA bq psu with good reviews on many websites I hope this will do the trick i will give you update when I receive it probably friday thanks again.

Hello, I've just received my new PSU and I still have the same problem the gpu is only pulling 130 - 150 w maybe the gpu itself is faulty I don't know I've tried both of my pci-e slots I've changed the bios settings to only use Gen3 and nothing is happening the same issue occurs. 

is it under warranty ?

7 minutes ago, s0lid said:

Hello, I've just received my new PSU and I still have the same problem the gpu is only pulling 130 - 150 w maybe the gpu itself is faulty I don't know I've tried both of my pci-e slots I've changed the bios settings to only use Gen3 and nothing is happening the same issue occurs. 

2 hours ago, HK01 said:

is it under warranty ?

No unfortunately 

• 4 weeks later...

Problem fixed there was no thermal paste on the gpu im ashamed of myself 😑 thanks for the help everybody 👍