Looking to upgrade rx 580

AeroMagnus

Hello, I’ve been considering upgrading my RX 580 as it no longer gives me enough FPS in the only game I play, war thunder. I play at mostly low settings  but with SSAO 4x enabled I barely get 60, if at all. That setting is very important for the game in my opinion. 

my question is which card should I look for? eBay is where I plan to buy a used card to get an even better deal(? Don’t particularly care for either team cause I’m looking for bang for the buck and my budget would be around 500, not hard set but it’d would really have to be a good deal for it to go up hunddredzzz as Linus would say lol

system is r2600

4x4 2666 

rx 580 4gb

750w silver Corsair psu

asrock b450m mobo 

thanks in advance

You can get some rx 6800 at 500$

Though if you can just barely reach 60fps then i think you can get to 60fps by just overclocking your current card and overclocking the cpu and ram, that should let you get 60fps

For around $500, you'd get a lot of decent GPU picks, 6800 XT 6700 XT 3070  3060 Ti, my pick would be 6800 XT.

But, idk how your CPU would keep up with the GPU.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

2 hours ago, AeroMagnus said:

Hello, I’ve been considering upgrading my RX 580 as it no longer gives me enough FPS in the only game I play, war thunder. I play at mostly low settings  but with SSAO 4x enabled I barely get 60, if at all. That setting is very important for the game in my opinion. 

my question is which card should I look for? eBay is where I plan to buy a used card to get an even better deal(? Don’t particularly care for either team cause I’m looking for bang for the buck and my budget would be around 500, not hard set but it’d would really have to be a good deal for it to go up hunddredzzz as Linus would say lol

system is r2600

4x4 2666 

rx 580 4gb

750w silver Corsair psu

asrock b450m mobo 

thanks in advance

Whats the make and model of that psu? Sounds a bit sketchy to me.

Also ssao does destroy performance as a rx580 really does not struggle at all in war thunder little brother runs it on a rx590 at 1440p 100+fps with decently high settings but ssao off

The minimum requirements are

" DirectX 10.1 level video card: AMD Radeon 77XX / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. The minimum supported resolution for the game is 720p. DirectX: Version 11" 

The recommended requirements are

"DirectX 11 level video card or higher and drivers: Nvidia GeForce 1060 and higher, Radeon RX 570 and higher"

Considering these.. I have doubts that a more powerful video card would really give you a significant boost because it seems the game is optimized for low VRAM video cards, lower size textures, so a card like yours won't even be fully utilized when playing the game. 

You would benefit much more overall by upgrading the CPU and the memory .. Ryzen likes fast memory, so by upgrading to 3200 or 3600 Mhz memory your computer should be around 2-5% faster in most applications and games.

Upgrading the CPU to something newer will give you higher IPC (instructions per clock) which means each core does more things in the same amount of time so if the game is not that multithreaded (and minimum requirements saying a dual core is enough points to that), then you may get a smoother game by upgrading to better more powerful cpu cores. 

You may get a better price by selling the motherboard, ram and cpu (and maybe cooler) as a kit, for people who want to make a NAS or upgrade from even older computers.

A Ryzen 5 2600 is 90$ on eBay so you could sell it fast at around $75, the motherboard's maybe worth 65-70$, the ram's maybe 40$ (you can get 2x8 3200 for $50)  so you could probably list the kit at $150-175$ and sell it fast. 

Then spend $110 on a good B550 motherboard, $200 on 5600x (or maybe get a 5600g at ~$160 so you could put your 580 for sale) and $50 on 16 GB 3200 Mhz.... basically a decent upgrade for around $150-200 out of pocket.

And you'd still have $300+ to spend a better video card, the prices will keep going down, there's already 6600XT 8 GB cards in the $300-320 range which are basically 2x-2.5x faster than RX 580 cards.

1 hour ago, Dukesilver27- said:

For around $500, you'd get a lot of decent GPU picks, 6800 XT 6700 XT 3070  3060 Ti, my pick would be 6800 XT.

But, idk how your CPU would keep up with the GPU.

6800/XT would be a good long term GPU. Would give the same longevity as RX580 has given him (5+ years). Tho, upgrading from 2700 should not be far away. Something with faster clocks and good single core performance. Tho, if the support holds up, 2700 should still pull plenty good for 2 more years

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You can get some rx 6800 at 500$

Though if you can just barely reach 60fps then i think you can get to 60fps by just overclocking your current card and overclocking the cpu and ram, that should let you get 60fps

I tried overclocking back when i got it and ill i got was crashes lol, this is the nitro oc version from sapphire so i guess its already overclocked cause it runs at 1411MHz 

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

Whats the make and model of that psu? Sounds a bit sketchy to me.

Also ssao does destroy performance as a rx580 really does not struggle at all in war thunder little brother runs it on a rx590 at 1440p 100+fps with decently high settings but ssao off

The PSU is a Corsair Vengeance 750M 750w PSU Silver 80+, i chose it specfically because of its place in the psu tierlist back when i built it. 

The setting is actually SSAA 4x which is useful for spotting enemies at KMs away. without it i run at like 120 @ 1080p

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

The minimum requirements are

" DirectX 10.1 level video card: AMD Radeon 77XX / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. The minimum supported resolution for the game is 720p. DirectX: Version 11" 

The recommended requirements are

"DirectX 11 level video card or higher and drivers: Nvidia GeForce 1060 and higher, Radeon RX 570 and higher"

Considering these.. I have doubts that a more powerful video card would really give you a significant boost because it seems the game is optimized for low VRAM video cards, lower size textures, so a card like yours won't even be fully utilized when playing the game. 

You would benefit much more overall by upgrading the CPU and the memory .. Ryzen likes fast memory, so by upgrading to 3200 or 3600 Mhz memory your computer should be around 2-5% faster in most applications and games.

Upgrading the CPU to something newer will give you higher IPC (instructions per clock) which means each core does more things in the same amount of time so if the game is not that multithreaded (and minimum requirements saying a dual core is enough points to that), then you may get a smoother game by upgrading to better more powerful cpu cores. 

You may get a better price by selling the motherboard, ram and cpu (and maybe cooler) as a kit, for people who want to make a NAS or upgrade from even older computers.

A Ryzen 5 2600 is 90$ on eBay so you could sell it fast at around $75, the motherboard's maybe worth 65-70$, the ram's maybe 40$ (you can get 2x8 3200 for $50)  so you could probably list the kit at $150-175$ and sell it fast. 

Then spend $110 on a good B550 motherboard, $200 on 5600x (or maybe get a 5600g at ~$160 so you could put your 580 for sale) and $50 on 16 GB 3200 Mhz.... basically a decent upgrade for around $150-200 out of pocket.

And you'd still have $300+ to spend a better video card, the prices will keep going down, there's already 6600XT 8 GB cards in the $300-320 range which are basically 2x-2.5x faster than RX 580 cards.

I did consider getting a 3600 or maybe updating the bios and changing ram, getting a 5600 for it but i thought the game was gpu bottlenecked more specifically, idk though; updating bios seems scary 

6 hours ago, PriitM said:

6800/XT would be a good long term GPU. Would give the same longevity as RX580 has given him (5+ years). Tho, upgrading from 2700 should not be far away. Something with faster clocks and good single core performance. Tho, if the support holds up, 2700 should still pull plenty good for 2 more years

I was thinking of getting a 5600 and updating my bios cause the asrock site says it supports it but it seems like a scary process

54 minutes ago, AeroMagnus said:

The PSU is a Corsair Vengeance 750M 750w PSU Silver 80+, i chose it specfically because of its place in the psu tierlist back when i built it. 

The setting is actually SSAA 4x which is useful for spotting enemies at KMs away. without it i run at like 120 @ 1080p

Oh ok well then a rx6700xt should fit in budget and be a great upgrade.

13 hours ago, AeroMagnus said:

I was thinking of getting a 5600 and updating my bios cause the asrock site says it supports it but it seems like a scary process

I have a Z170 board, originally mated with i5-6500. I upgraded to a i7-7700K and did a BIOS flash. Can say it was scary for those few minutes, hoping the power does not go out. But all went well, 

Do you have a decent cooler for the CPU? Just to have some headroom for a slight OC.