40 desktops in draws for a public school.

SA Schools

Hi Everyone

I need to install 40 desktop computers (basic gaming rigs) at a public school. They are starting e-gaming for the kids 6-14 years.

I'd love the kids to see the inner workings of the computers within the desks they are sitting at. Ideas we like are in the YouTube videos below.

1. Is this feasible in your opinion?
  2. Is there longevity in this design if we need to repair or replace parts?
  3. Will vibration, heat etc be a problem when we have so many units like this?
  4. Will this be expensive to design (more expensive than getting chassis')?
  5. Any opinions on the practicality of these solutions for an entire lab would be appreciated.
  6. They will use the LAB around 40 hours per week for all gr4-7 classes.
  7. My technician needs to be able to replace parts and repair easily. PSU, Ram, fans and Ethernet are examples of the most common replacements.
  8. Keyboards & Mice may need to be wired?

Would be nice to get some experienced input from the community. @LinusTech

I'd assume desk PC cases would get far too expensive, and they're covered with the keeb/mousepad anyways (I use a massive mousepad under both keeb and mouse because I dislike the feeling of a glass top desk). Wouldn't a standard TG side panel case accomplish the same thing? Especially as an RGB cooler is pretty cheap if you want to draw attention to what's inside the case. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Do you have a premade case in mind? If your diy making the case its probably gonna take a while per system, and won't be cheap. Id argue that a normal computer case will be cheaper. Those videos you showed would require large amount of work per case, and I don't know of a cheap diy desk case. If you want the parts visible id just get a windowsed pc case.

27 minutes ago, SA Schools said:

My technician needs to be able to replace parts and repair easily. PSU, Ram, fans and Ethernet are examples of the most common replacements.

Is this a issue? Most desktops are pretty reliable, and you won't have to change those parts often.

27 minutes ago, SA Schools said:
  1. Keyboards & Mice may need to be wired?

Id go wired, otherwise many more parts will walk off.

4 hours ago, SA Schools said:

at a public school. They are starting e-gaming for the kids 6-14 years.

First of all... Whaaaat?! .. let me clarify myself... what I mean is WHAAAAT?!

Shock and surprise aside:

1-5. I have no idea if anyone can make it cheap and/or feasible.

6. How many h/week per class?

7. Just go for good cheap case with an easy access.

8. Wired - cheaper, safer (no one will be able to throw them, etc)

My suggestion to go more sensible / entertaining:

- find or create an animated / interactive desktop wallpaper with the pc parts, although it might be too distracting...

- have the teacher's pc be the only one with the 'exposed parts', RGB, bells and whistles, etc, and make it face the whole class.

- classroom decoration: real pc parts or pc-related drawings/posters.

- make each pc a little distinct: different colour schemes (peripherals, or even keycaps), maybe even student made drawings on the case panels, or just some graphics.

I foresee liquids getting spilled onto those desks and leaking around the edges of the window.

You're better off with conventional, reasonably priced tower cases with side windows and pretty RGB fans for the kids to ooh and aah over. Make them look like the cool gamer setups they see their favorite influencers using. Maybe that will lead to less "lol school computer sucks must destroy" temptation. Build them all with the same components, because it's easier to administrate a homogenous fleet.

You might also want to set up a local server for running LAN games and hosting a Steam/Origin/Windows Update/etc cache, with that many machines deployed. (It can also host backup system images so you can nuke and pave the client machines as necessary.) Older rack mount servers are dirt cheap on the used market.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, SA Schools said:

Hi Everyone

I need to install 40 desktop computers (basic gaming rigs) at a public school. They are starting e-gaming for the kids 6-14 years.

I'd love the kids to see the inner workings of the computers within the desks they are sitting at. Ideas we like are in the YouTube videos below.

1. Is this feasible in your opinion?
  2. Is there longevity in this design if we need to repair or replace parts?
  3. Will vibration, heat etc be a problem when we have so many units like this?
  4. Will this be expensive to design (more expensive than getting chassis')?
  5. Any opinions on the practicality of these solutions for an entire lab would be appreciated.
  6. They will use the LAB around 40 hours per week for all gr4-7 classes.
  7. My technician needs to be able to replace parts and repair easily. PSU, Ram, fans and Ethernet are examples of the most common replacements.
  8. Keyboards & Mice may need to be wired?

1. Not really no. Even if you can see all the components, not like you can see the transfer & conversion of data & energy. All they'll see is fan spin / LED lights up.

A sticker / desk mat as big as the desk with drawing & diagram of how PC work will explain more.
Even before the game starts up, most if not all of their attention will be on the monitor.

My nephew doesn't care how the PC works, he only cares what weapon will he be using in Fortnite. Eventhough the PC with glass side panel is pretty much right beside his face. Doesn't even know what type of mechanical switch his expensive Razer keyboard is.

2. Depends on how it's treated. But all in all, it's extra work for the person in charge of equipment. Expect kids to be rough when using it too.
Heck, expect kids to be rough near it even when they are not using the system.

3. Depends on the build, and how good the ambient temp is.

4. In the long run? most probably. Of course you can make it as cheap as possible, but I doubt it'll look good if you skimp too much.

5. I don't think it is practical at all. It looks amazing yeah, but when it's maintenance or repair time..... oh boy.

Simple analogy is : Compare the practicality of air flow build & custom loop build.

IMHO, Sophisticated build pretty much need a sophisticated user, most likely something an adrenaline & anger filled age doesn't fit with.

Not to mention most people care less about taking care of stuffs that isn't theirs or stuffs that they spent no energy & money making.

7. If I am the technician, I probably gonna curse you in mind when it's time to do so.
If it's my own system, I know in my mind I was the one who decided to make it & I'll own the trouble of repairing / maintaining it.

Not my system? $^@&%$@^$%@&!

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Those "gaming PCs" are gonna cook in something like that.

not feasible.  

There are no moderately inexpensive commercial solutions that exist for this.  

You'd be much better off with a decent computer desk, and a solid case.  

Human beings (especially children) are manifestations of chaos and destruction.

Jokes aside, my experience in working with schools from a technology perspective has given me the following insights:

1. Neither the administration, the faculty, or the students have even the slightest respect for property. The administration knows they have what amounts to a blank check from the government to cover costs so they building rotating budgets - what you install will be abused, neglected, broken, and then eventually replaced.

2. Because the faculty resent their jobs, they put forth only minimal effort. They will not clean, or maintain these in any way.

I'm not just saying this because to be nasty; these are practical bits of information. If you care enough to do good work and build a nice system, the last thing you want is to see it ruined by neglect or misuse.

When selecting your parts, give no regard to visual appeal - things will get dirty, grimy, and probably stuck with all manner of bodily fluids. You'd do better to focus on durable, easily cleaned parts - something that can be wiped down. If you can find a way to keep the PC itself completely out of view (behind the wall, in an adjacent room, etc.) it will help them survive longer in the hostile environment.

There is a reason things like Kesnington locks exist. It's less about theft and more about securing devices in places that are not always a flat desk surface. Labs often "hide" their devices under desks, or lock to rails to keep them from being banged around or kicked by students.

40 computers of this type are likely to cost upwards of $2,000 each when you factor in the custom desk design, plus "gaming" capable components.

$2,000 x 40 is $80,000 USD.

The wisest way to spend that budget is a set of servers that can create virtual machines for gaming on, rather than 40 individual gaming PCs. It keeps the devices safer and more secure. It also makes more economic use of physical space.

For 40 machines for an education facility, you should absolutely be going through a system integrator. Then when warranty issues arise, you only have one company to deal with instead of ten. Also most will often cut an educational discount.