Get SSD Host Writes in Windows via Command Line

jt532

In CrystalDiskInfo, I can see how many GB have been written to an SSD. This is helpful to monitor its usage over time:

enter image description here

If possible, I would like to run a script automatically that pulls this information and keeps a log of it over time in a csv file. I could do this easily with Python if I had some way to pull that information from the command line.

Any thoughts on how I can get the total number of host writes on an SSD programmatically? I'm not sure how to access that number from the command line.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

smartmontools does this well, https://www.smartmontools.org/

I wouldn't worry about the drive wearing out, I have been doing endurance testing with 256gb ssds, and have gone over 2x the rated limit on 4 of them with no issues.

Nice, I'll try it out. Out of curiosity, after how many writes did you start experiencing issues? Also which SSDs did you test?

9 minutes ago, jt532 said:

Nice, I'll try it out. Out of curiosity, after how many writes did you start experiencing issues? Also which SSDs did you test?

These were kioxia BG4 ssds, so TLC dramless nvme drives.

I haven't ran into issues yet, About 6 months and 700tB in with no issues. This is taking longer than I expected