Moving 2 merged hard drives to a new PC

PC GAMER 01

I have a PC that I use for file sharing on my network. It has two 2tb hard drives in it. On disk management I have merged them so they show up as one 4tb hard drive.

I am going to be changing this PC's motherboard so I can fit it in a smaller case. When I change the motherboard if I attach both hard drives will it show up as one or could it corrupt them?, I'm not really sure how this works.

i'd make a backup just in case (you should have a backup either way), but as long as the disks show up, and show up in the same order, i'd guess windows will just pick them up the same.

It depends. Is the RAID through the BIOS or the individual drive hardware? Different boards could have slight differences in the BIOS that could affect any BIOS-based RAID control. I also wonder if different chipsets can be a factor as well. I've seen where a non-RAID M.2 boot drive was moved to another motherboard and wouldn't boot because some boot files were apparently installed to a second M.2 on the original board as though it were a RAID, even though it wasn't set up as such.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

54 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I've seen where a non-RAID M.2 boot drive was moved to another motherboard and wouldn't boot because some boot files were apparently installed to a second M.2 on the original board as though it were a RAID, even though it wasn't set up as such.

that's just the windows installer being REALLY dumb about where it puts the bootloader. if you have more than one unpartitioned drive, and make a partition to install to on one drive, it'll put the bootloader on the free space of the other drive.

I would look into purchasing a new hard drive to hold the data while setting up the new system. It sounds like you are running raid-0, whether in storage spaces or using the motherboard. Trying to transfer the array is sketchy at best and has a high chance of losing everything. If you have the internet bandwidth you can purchase storage online through google drive (I don't know the pricing or storage limitations) or backblaze.

If it was my setup I would get an external drive to transfer everything to, and purchase another 2Tb drive and configure the 3x2Tb drives into raid 5 . This way you can handle a drive failure and use the external as an additional backup that you sync to periodically. I've lost drives and even having them in an array it is a pain to deal with. After dealing with it once I went Unraid on my server and have it sync to a second unraid server every few days. 

Sorry to recommend the more costly option, I just have significant doubt the array will transfer without issues, with motherboard based raid the chipset has probably changed and won't recognize the old array and i'm nowhere near familiar enough with something like storage spaces to know if it would work. When every I have set up one it always formats and warns of loss of data

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's just the windows installer being REALLY dumb about where it puts the bootloader. if you have more than one unpartitioned drive, and make a partition to install to on one drive, it'll put the bootloader on the free space of the other drive.

Wait... Windows can be dumb? I would never have guessed. 🤣

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I'm going to quote the OP in really big fonts because I don't have crayons.

"On disk management I have merged them"

So, he's obviously used Windows disk manager to convert them to dynamic disks and then spanned them. This has nothing to do with chipsets or onboard RAID or Windows being stupid. Pretty obvious. Giving advice without reading a post is pretty stupid if you ask me. 

As long as the target motherboard is running AHCI or the same RAID mode as the source motherboard Windows *should* pick up the spanned set and run accordingly. The potential pitfall here is that the new install of windows might not like the spanned set being created in a much older version of Windows or some quasi credential conflict with existing device GUIs.

If you're just cloning Windows over to the new machine this shouldn't be an issue because the spanned set was created on that version of windows.