Build Planing - Some PSU inquiries

Currently in the very early stages of planning a new-ish build.

This build will most likely initially contain my current motherboard, CPU, and GPU combo. GPU will stay the same if I eventually go with a new platform when we get through these upcoming launches.

Machine will mostly be used for gaming, and some 3D modelling - MasterCAM and SolidWorks.

Current Specs:

• RTX 3080 12GB (EVGA FTW3 HydroCopper) with plans to overclock.
  • Ryzen 3800XT - mild PBO enhancements
  • PSU: second-hand EVGA GQ 1000W Gold unit.

Going to wait until the dust settles after upcoming launches, but I may not go with a newer platform. Still unsure, but may upgrade to a better mobo with a 5900x. Also considering Intel but that's a topic for a different post. MasterCAM will greatly benefit from better IPC and core count for some toolpaths, so I'm preparing for at most a 200W CPU draw in this scenario.

Last time I encountered this type of workload I was using 12 out of 16 threads and CPU was drawing 110+W for a few hours working through it. GPU was not affected very much in this situation IIRC.

I'm open to re-using my current PSU if anyone could enlighten me on where to find it's production date to at least get some more info on it. I don't know what kind of life it's had but I'd rather prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. It's done me well so far, though it would be nice having something a wee bit smaller and fully modular instead of a permanent 24-pin cable.

Recently started getting some coil whine when gaming as well, though I suspect that may be because I'm using a daisy chain cable for one of the 8-pin connectors on the GPU. I've decreased the card's power and temp limit for now since I don't have enough radiator in the loop for both CPU and GPU at the time.

MAIN QUESTIONS

Considering overclocking and transient behaviour, I'm looking at 1000W units again, and have my eye on an EVGA P2 -1000W Platinum [linked below] for what I'm guessing is a decent price right now ($225 CAD). Also considering options from Seasonic and Corsair.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1938&item_id=079155

1. Should I bother spending more on a Platinum rated power supply vs gold rated (of same wattage rating)?
  2. After overclocking CPU and GPU, is 1000W fine? Higher? Lower?

Planning to build in the Hyte Y60 case, if anyone has any insight to PSU clearance and cable management room in it. Spec sheet says up to 235mm but I don't know how much room that will leave for cable management with the 220mm EVGA P2.

Other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

I'm open to re-using my current PSU if anyone could enlighten me on where to find it's production date to at least get some more info on it.

From a quick Google search, the two first digits of the serial number should be the manufacture year. You should also be able to check the warranty status on this page.

https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp

8 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Recently started getting some coil whine when gaming as well, though I suspect that may be because I'm using a daisy chain cable for one of the 8-pin connectors on the GPU.

More likely it's because the GQ is a low end ACRF PSU and you're using it with a high end card. In the category of Corsair CXM, EVGA BQ, Be Quiet Pure Power 10/11 etc.

27 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Considering overclocking and transient behaviour, I'm looking at 1000W units again, and have my eye on an EVGA P2 -1000W Platinum [linked below] for what I'm guessing is a decent price right now ($225 CAD). Also considering options from Seasonic and Corsair.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1938&item_id=079155

It seems to be out of stock? But it performs well, and has a semi passive mode up to around 500W load, and it's not that loud above that. The cables have capacitors in them, which make them bulky and difficult to manage, and it is as you mentioned enormous (although this review says 200mm).

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-supernova-p2-1000/2.html

Another option could be the MSI A1000G, at CA$190. It performs fine, should be a bit easier to find custom cables for (since MSI uses a common pinout with Corsair, Bitfenix etc), the stock cables do not have capacitors, and it's only 150mm long. The semi passive mode keeps the fan off until about 500W, it starts getting loud at ~700W, and it's quite loud after that. With a 3080, you should be well below that.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/bRXJ7P/msi-1000-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpg-a1000g

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-mpg-a1000g-power-supply-review/2

18 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Should I bother spending more on a Platinum rated power supply vs gold rated (of same wattage rating)?

No. Don't worry about the efficiency, and instead prioritise getting a decent PSU that performs well, is quiet, etc. Otherwise you might end up with another low end PSU like the GQ.

19 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

After overclocking CPU and GPU, is 1000W fine? Higher? Lower?

Should be more than fine. If you're planning on getting a PSU in anticipation for a future graphics card, don't. Wait until reviews for it are out, so you know what you actually need, instead of guessing. There might also be more new PSUs released that meet the new more stringent ATX v3.0 requirements, which have requirements to account for high transients from GPUs.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-atx-v3-psu-standard/2

:)

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Should be more than fine. If you're planning on getting a PSU in anticipation for a future graphics card, don't. Wait until reviews for it are out, so you know what you actually need, instead of guessing.

Yeah I don't see myself buying another GPU for quite a while, though I'm kind of doing this with potential CPU's in this scenario.

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

More likely it's because the GQ is a low end ACRF PSU and you're using it with a high end card. In the category of Corsair CXM, EVGA BQ, Be Quiet Pure Power 10/11 etc.

Understood, I was kind of guessing at something like this. So pretty much EVGA Supernova, Seasonic Prime is what I'd be looking for/at? Not sure what they'd be for Be Quiet! and Corsair.

13 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It seems to be out of stock? But it performs well, and has a semi passive mode up to around 500W load, and it's not that loud above that. The cables have capacitors in them, which make them bulky and difficult to manage, and it is as you mentioned enormous (although this review says 200mm).

Yeah it was in stock at a few locations near me so that's what I was going off of, and yes 200mm (whoops). The cable info however is news to me, and appreciated!

Just another thing I'm looking at with the P2, stating it has an LLC resonant circuit design. Not going to pretend to understand that but I recall it being mentioned a few times in relation to transients. Should this be something I look for?

Appreciate the elaborate response!

3 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Understood, I was kind of guessing at something like this. So pretty much EVGA Supernova, Seasonic Prime is what I'd be looking for/at? Not sure what they'd be for Be Quiet! and Corsair.

EVGA has about a billion different PSUs under the name Supernova, ranging from very low end, to pretty high end. The G2, P2, T2, G3, P3, G6, P6 and GT are decent to good, off the top of my head, but always check professional reviews of the specific model and wattage you're looking at. The noise level is also something to pay special attention to, imo, especially for higher wattage PSUs and systems.

The Seasonic Prime has/has had some issues with higher end GPUs, lies about the temperature rating, and cuts corners on the fan, fan control and cables. I have a fairly quiet system, and the loudest part is a ticking noise from the fan motor.

Be Quiet's Pure Power 11 FM (not the semi or non-modular versions), and Straight Power 11 should be comparable to the G2, G3, G6, GT etc, and the Dark Power Pro 12 is above the T2. For Corsair, the TXM, RM, RMe and RMx should be comparable to those, the RMi, HX, HXi are a bit above those, and the AXi is comparable to the Dark Power Pro 12.

21 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Just another thing I'm looking at with the P2, stating it has an LLC resonant circuit design. Not going to pretend to understand that but I recall it being mentioned a few times in relation to transients. Should this be something I look for?

Yes. They typically handle transients better, and are less likely to have coil whine when paired with higher end GPUs.

:)

platnium psu not worth the upgrade stick with the gold and use the money else where the only difference is the 1-3% power loss due to efficiency its not a more solid psu its just in terms most on here wil get its a better binned part.

Would you buy a new mustang the same spec as the one you own same everything color spec year mileage and so on the only differnce is yours gets 12 to the gallon and the new one gets 13 to the gallon

19 minutes ago, seon123 said:

EVGA has about a billion different PSUs under the name Supernova, ranging from very low end, to pretty high end.

After typing what I did, started looking around more and realized the gravity of what I said. lol

Appreciate all the insight!

Down another rabbit hole I go!

1 hour ago, GazJ said:

platnium psu not worth the upgrade stick with the gold

It isn't just a question of Gold vs. Platinum though, their current PSU is a pretty low-midrange offering.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler