I made an external power button

jaseg

So after I moved my computer ended up on a shelf next to my desk. This is awesome because it's out of the way and it's way easier to clean than before, but now I can't reach the power button as easily anymore. Thus, I decided to extend the power button, power led and the frontpanel audio connectors to a little bracket that I mounted under my desk. Here's some pictures, feel free to roast me for the shitty-ass job I did on the frontpanel label on the new bracket 😅

For the cable I used some of this standard gray industrial multicore stuff, that I made less ugly by putting it all into a braided sleeve. The connectors I used are affordable chinese knockoffs (~5USD / pair) of these enormously expensive but awesome swiss-made push-pull ones (i.e. they are locking, and to unlock you grab the silver part and just pull on it).

20220515_182550.jpg

20220515_162619.jpg

20220515_153425.jpg

20220515_153355.jpg

This is a beautifully overengineerd thing ya did. Love the vibe.

And who cares about the meh wrap unless people look up close they won't notice. Worst case paint over it again if it really is bothersome.

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This is a beautifully overengineerd thing ya did. Love the vibe.

I couldn't agree more. 

Why do it? Why the f not?

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

Why the f not

Money would be my answer but you found a way around that 😛

Eh, I would have made a small pcb  for all the audio jacks and buttons and leds  and use a couple ethernet connectors (without magnetics built in) for the signals. 

You have twisted pairs, you have shielding if you get a SFTP patch cable (factory made), and you can easily make a small pcb for a bracket with two ethernet ports (or repurpose an old 2 port network card)

I would have put an extra TRRS connector (the 4 contact that combines microphone and headphones) besides the headphones and microphone - you can use two pairs for headphones, two pairs for mic  and a second ethernet cable for 5v and ground for leds (on and hdd activity), power switch and reset maybe.

maybe have a switch that disables all leds, just in case you want to watch a movie and don't want some super bright leds burning your retina from your desk.

could go even further and use 2 wires for tx and rx of a usb 2 port, and you could have  microcontroller configured as a virtual usb keyboard, to implement a knob on the box - when you twist the knob, the fake usb keyboard sends the multimedia keys volume up and down, when you click on the knob you send mute etc...

If you had usb there anyway, it should be possible to use that usb hid spec detail that allows you to have a hid device power up the connected host. There are USB keyboards with a power button that powers up the computer. I don't know if that needs anything fancy on the bios side though.

https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/documents/hut1_12v2.pdf Sec. 4.5.1 "power controls"

Someone seems to have gotten this to work on an Arduino: https://ethertubes.com/usb-power-button/

Then by integrating an USB audio DAC chip, you wouldn't even need to access any internal headers and the entire thing could just plug in to any usb port on the system.

I really need to do something similar. My setups always make it difficult to hit the button, actually a chore.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz