Which portable storage should I get?

DankYeeter

I need Portable Storage for Movies, Images, Videos, Music to be used via. plugging in to my TV or Nvidia Shield TV or simply as an overall storage device with decent speeds.

Have an old HDD and that thing is just awful to use. Anything with USB C would be much nicer to use with less chances of me breaking the connector.

Just not sure if SSD or HDD and which brand.. Don't want to spend a fortune when I don't need the best, just nothing terrible either.

Speed

Capacity

Affordability

Pick two.

If all your media can comfortably fit on a 1 TB SSD, that's going to be your fastest option.

3.5" external hard drives will generally be faster than 2.5" hard drives. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

What size drive do you want and what is your budget? Western Digital, Samsung, Crucial, Sandisk and Kingston make good drives. 

Edited by RandomlyEpic103

13 minutes ago, RandomlyEpic103 said:

What size drive do you want and what is your budget? Western Digital, Samsung, Crucial, Sandisk and Kingston make good drives. 

Size like 2TB and above. Not sure how the speeds and affordability are. Price wise i am flexible if I know that the quality I get is good for my use-case. Wouldn't want to throw hundreds at it like this new "armored" samsung mobile SSD.

18 minutes ago, offweek said:

Consider a second hand Samsung T3 or T5 SSD.  Large capacity ones crop up intermittently on ebay for a steal.

Or a mid tier SSD + a USB to SATA cable.

In this case, what is a decent price I should look out for ? 130€ for 1TB seems to be available, usually more though. 

Could get a Crucial X6  with 2TB for about 100€, I imagine that is probably very decent with the 800Mbit write/read speed.