Computer crash and restart frequently

Eragonvn

I have had this problem quite often lately. Sometimes while I'm using the computer, the computer shuts down and restarts on its own. There are also times during the boot process, the machine crashes and restarts by itself at the BIOS screen.

Here is my specs:

• Windows 10 21H2 64-bit
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-DS2 Rev 2.2
  • Intel Core i3-2130 3.4GHz
  • 1*4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM and 1*4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM in Dual-channel
  • Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GT 740 OC Edition
  • WD blue 500GB storage drive
  • Indilink 240GB SSD

Temperatures? When did you last clean the system, replaced the thermal paste?

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

Crash after boot means check the memory.  It could be something else, but memory is possible enough that a check is standard.  So a couple full runs of memtest86.  If that comes out clean one goes to other things, and if that comes out clean it’s back to memory with an even more annoying test.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, ET_Explorer said:

Heating issues, dust build up with case fans, psu fan, gpu fan, may need to reapply thermal paste.

Another possible.  One of the more pleasant ones.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

44 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Temperatures? When did you last clean the system, replaced the thermal paste?

I monitored my CPU and GPU temps during gaming, it shows the highest CPU temperature at that time as 77-80 degrees Celsius (it is quite high but in my opinion it is still within the temperature threshold of my CPU) and GPU about 50-60 degree. Last time I clean the system was about 4 months ago

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Crash after boot means check the memory.  It could be something else, but memory is possible enough that a check is standard.  So a couple full runs of memtest86.  If that comes out clean one goes to other things, and if that comes out clean it’s back to memory with an even more annoying test.

At the moment things seem to be getting worse. My machine now almost can't get past the POST screen, it crashes and restarts like a loop 😰😱

1 hour ago, Eragonvn said:

At the moment things seem to be getting worse. My machine now almost can't get past the POST screen, it crashes and restarts like a loop 😰😱

But it at one point crashed after boot. You do have 2 sticks but they’re 4 gig and different speeds.  We can go directly to the old school test:

pull one stick and set the thing up to run on just it.  It will work or not.  If it works (albeit slowly) it’s a memory or memory slot problem and it’s the other stick or slot that is an issue. Then swap it. It will also work or not.  If it works it it’s a memory problem and it’s the other stick that is bad.  If neither works it’s some other problem,  including a slot problem with that slot.  if they both work I have no idea.

this is kind of a weird old test that rests on the concept that it is very unlikely for two sticks to go bad at the same time.  It usually takes a lot longer than running memtest86 because you have to just run the machine for a while and see if it horks.  With a problem this severe though it could be quite quick.

As far as temps go, that cpu is even older than mine.  I don’t run mine near that hot, (I keep it under 70°c always)  and I’m sort of surprised it’s still alive.   Which is saying something.  It’s possible you wore the thing out at those temps.  One of the possible ‘something else’.issues

Edited by Bombastinator

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

But it at one point crashed after boot. You do have 2 sticks but they’re 4 gig and different speeds.  We can go directly to the old school test:

pull one stick and set the thing up to run on just it.  It will work or not.  If it works (albeit slowly) it’s a memory or memory slot problem and it’s the other stick or slot that is an issue. Then swap it. It will also work or not.  If it works it it’s a memory problem and it’s the other stick that is bad.  If neither works it’s some other problem,  including a slot problem with that slot.  if they both work I have no idea.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to try that old-fashioned way 🥲 Do you think maybe my PSU has a problem? Because I'm thinking about that possibility too..

14 minutes ago, Eragonvn said:

Yeah, I guess I'll have to try that old-fashioned way 🥲 Do you think maybe my PSU has a problem? Because I'm thinking about that possibility too..

May or may not.  The test could help with that.  Bright side is it’s time but no money, and in this case it will be even less time than is common.  If the test says ‘something else’ the PSU is a prime suspect.

Edited by Bombastinator