DVI PORT NOT WORKING

Go to solution Solved by gbkendall,

So, most cheap DVI cables are uni-directional, and are only good for transmitting a DisplayPort signal (input) to a DVI monitor (output). 

Not a recommendation by any means, but you'd need an active cable (something like this) to go from your DVI port on your PC to the DP on the monitor. 

So my second monitor needs a VGA or DP input, though I don't have any on my PC. To solve this I used a DVI to DP cable to turn the DVI signal from my PC into a DP signal. Then, when I turn the monitor on, no signal is transmitted. It displays [POWER SAVING MODE] before turning the screen black. I know the screen is getting a connection, as the display would say [NO CONNECTION] if it didn't. I tried the cable on my other monitor and It didn't work there either. It's probably not the cable, as I got it just today. So it must be something in the DVI output that's messing it up. If you have a solution or any idea for what I can do, leave a comment, and ill reply ASAP. If you would like any more information on the matter, don't be scared to reach out, I'm trying my best as well!

So, most cheap DVI cables are uni-directional, and are only good for transmitting a DisplayPort signal (input) to a DVI monitor (output). 

Not a recommendation by any means, but you'd need an active cable (something like this) to go from your DVI port on your PC to the DP on the monitor. 

Edited by gbkendall
Changed "omni" to "uni"

Could you mention the GPU and monitor you're using? DVI can be analog, digital or both. If you have a DVI-A port, you'd definitely need an active converter from analog to digital.

@gbkendall I think you're missing a "not" in your first sentence.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Could you mention the GPU and monitor you're using? DVI can be analog, digital or both. If you have a DVI-A port, you'd definitely need an active converter from analog to digital.

@gbkendall I think you're missing a "not" in your first sentence.

Im using the GeForce 1650 to a Lenovo Thinkpad, i dont know what model as i got it from a private person (not a retailer). Its a DVI-D port.

7 minutes ago, Resort said:

Im using the GeForce 1650 to a Lenovo Thinkpad, i dont know what model as i got it from a private person (not a retailer). Its a DVI-D port.

As @gbkendall said, you'll need to make sure your adapter is actually intended to be used for going from DVI to DP, not just the other way around.

You can also have a look at the forum topic here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DVI&input=DP

It contains a lot of information about display adapters and you can select the specific type you're looking for. I already preselected DVI to DP in the link above.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

33 minutes ago, gbkendall said:

Your goddamn right, it says on the website i got it from "Connection from DisplayPort - Connection to DVI". I'll get to it then... 😓