Should I still continue to use Windows Defender in 2022?

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

It's fine.

You can never have too many backups. A solid backup strategy is more important than any antivirus.

If you insist on running a third party antivirus, my go-to recommendation is Sophos. 

I'm still on Windows 10 and using Defender, but I wonder is it still good to use in 2022.

I have been using it since windows 10 came out and I have never really had an issue with viruses Malware or Ransomware (To be clear though, I make sure to avoid janky websites).

I'm also a developer and streamer/gamer so security is rather important, and I want to make sure I'm up to date on protection. 

So should I still keep using Windows defender, or find something else?

It's fine.

You can never have too many backups. A solid backup strategy is more important than any antivirus.

If you insist on running a third party antivirus, my go-to recommendation is Sophos. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Windows Defender is fine as long as you're always online. If you get a USB with malware connected while you're offline, you basically have a coin flip on whether or not you get inflected.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Windows Defender is fine as long as you're always online. If you get a USB with malware connected while you're offline, you basically have a coin flip on whether or not you get inflected.

Any antivirus will be less effective against viruses that are newer than its definitions.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

20 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Any antivirus will be less effective against viruses that are newer than its definitions.

Not as badly as Defender tho. Heuristics are a thing that exists for a reason. There's only 1 AV worse for offline detections out of over 2 dozen

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor