Ram Slot issues failing Memtest

I have two Vengeneance LX 8GB sticks in the two slots on my motherboard. Problem is if I have both sticks in then memtest always fails. If I leave either stick individually so have just 8GB then it passes regardless of what slot, or stick is used. Nothing seems to be wrong but I can't fathom why this is happening. Please can anyone help?

What CPU and motherboard are you using?? Have you tried these RAM sticks in another PC? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

What CPU and motherboard are you using?? Have you tried these RAM sticks in another PC? 

PRIME H310-PLUS R2.0

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F

I don't have access to another desktop to check, but like I said I tried each ram stick individually in slot a and b and both passed.

2 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

PRIME H310-PLUS R2.0

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F

I don't have access to another desktop to check, but like I said I tried each ram stick individually in slot a and b and both passed.

You can try to reseat the CPU and when you remove the CPU, ensure that there are no bent pins in the CPU socket on the motherboard. If there are no bent pins in the motherboard, then the issue lies with the motherboard. Just curious, are these sticks of RAM from the same kit and have they worked previously before together in this PC?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

13 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

You can try to reseat the CPU and when you remove the CPU, ensure that there are no bent pins in the CPU socket on the motherboard. If there are no bent pins in the motherboard, then the issue lies with the motherboard. Just curious, are these sticks of RAM from the same kit and have they worked previously before together in this PC?

The ram sticks are from the same kit, no idea but they been working fine but getting BSODs and assumed it was Windows. Then I did a Windows Memory test where it found issues, so I then did a memtest86 and it threw up errors.

As for the CPU I'm not sure how to remove it, since it has a cooler and I'm worried about damaging it. But I'm confused how this can affect issues with RAM?. Please treat me like an idiot but I'm crazy flustered.

1 minute ago, Diddlydennis said:

The ram sticks are from the same kit, no idea but they been working fine but getting BSODs and assumed it was Windows. Then I did a Windows Memory test where it found issues, so I then did a memtest86 and it threw up errors.

As for the CPU I'm not sure how to remove it, since it has a cooler and I'm worried about damaging it. But I'm confused how this can affect issues with RAM?. Please treat me like an idiot but I'm crazy flustered.

Ok that's good that they are from the same RAM kit. Are you clearing CMOS every time you swap in/out RAM? The system has to re run memory training which let's the computer learn how to configure the RAM. 

Inside the CPU, there is something called the IMC. The IMC, abbreviated as the integrated memory controller, this controls the flow of data going into and out of the CPU to the RAM. This handles the memory. There are gold pads underneath the CPU that contact the pins that are in the socket. If they aren't properly making contact, the system won't run correctly. If you're experiencing issues and said that they worked fine before you can't run the system with both RAM sticks installed, clear CMOS. Make sure the RAM sticks are seated inside the slots.

7 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok that's good that they are from the same RAM kit. Are you clearing CMOS every time you swap in/out RAM? The system has to re run memory training which let's the computer learn how to configure the RAM. 

Inside the CPU, there is something called the IMC. The IMC, abbreviated as the integrated memory controller, this controls the flow of data going into and out of the CPU to the RAM. This handles the memory. There are gold pads underneath the CPU that contact the pins that are in the socket. If they aren't properly making contact, the system won't run correctly. If you're experiencing issues and said that they worked fine before you can't run the system with both RAM sticks installed, clear CMOS. Make sure the RAM sticks are seated inside the slots.

OK, is there a guide to remove the CPU?. I need new thermal paste right too?. As for the CMOS, this is new to me from checking the PDF I'm confused. Its asking me to stick a screwdriver on the two pins to short it when powered off?

if you have or haven't been in the BIOS, see if DOCP or XMP is enabled, try disabling that and also if one are able to see what the motherboard thinks in the BIOS about the sticks. Like their mhz and so on. Also just to see the BIOS version for your motherboard, to just know if there is any new version (just to look and know, not required).

9 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

1. OK, is there a guide to remove the CPU?

2. I need new thermal paste right too?

3. As for the CMOS, this is new to me from checking the PDF I'm confused. Its asking me to stick a screwdriver on the two pins to short it when powered off?

1. mostly any PC building video, just in reverse or so.

2. it depends, if very recent not required, but very good to do if it's old (months or years) or been a while, done by wiping off old one and/or use some isopropyl alcohol to help removing any gunk. Also you can gain some degrees by doing it, which could increase some level of performance.

3. CMOS is the battery for the motherboard, it will "reset" when removed or done by reset pins like a screw driver or metal object to the pins (system has to be completely off).

Edited by Quackers101

1 minute ago, Diddlydennis said:

OK, is there a guide to remove the CPU?. I need new thermal paste right too?. As for the CMOS, this is new to me from checking the PDF I'm confused. Its asking me to stick a screwdriver on the two pins to short it when powered off?

Do you know the cooler model that is installed on the CPU? 

Yes, you'll need new thermal paste every time you remove the cooler to prevent air bubbles from being trapped if you were to use the same paste over again.

Yes, by shorting the pins, this will clear CMOS. 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Do you know the cooler model that is installed on the CPU? 

Yes, you'll need new thermal paste every time you remove the cooler to prevent air bubbles from being trapped if you were to use the same paste over again.

Yes, by shorting the pins, this will clear CMOS. 

I can take a photo once I'm home, but really unsure about taking the cpu from the motherboard despite maybe it being easy. DO you think I should borrow some memory and try that out before I do the remove cpu cooler. However, I reinstalled Windows again and did a Windows Memory Diagnostic and said there was a hardware error

10 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

was maybe not needed, but if you where able to, maybe it can help

also follow these steps, which you likely have done

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039574

Yup done all that, no luck sadly/

Do you think I should try out a different batch of ram, or does it sound like the motherboard or cpu?. Or don't bother as the sticks passed individually?.

3 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Do you think I should try out a different batch of ram, or does it sound like the motherboard or cpu?. Or don't bother as the sticks passed individually?.

if they worked before together no, but if recently bought, return and get new ones if possible.

could be something with motherboard etc, too or instead of the sticks. but right know it might be unsure what it is, unless testing in other system.

Edited by Quackers101

2 hours ago, Diddlydennis said:

I can take a photo once I'm home, but really unsure about taking the cpu from the motherboard despite maybe it being easy. DO you think I should borrow some memory and try that out before I do the remove cpu cooler. However, I reinstalled Windows again and did a Windows Memory Diagnostic and said there was a hardware error

I wouldn't go the route of removing the CPU yet but just an option in the troubleshooting process of what is happening and where the fault is. 

I would recommend trying out new RAM and test the system again to see if you still are having issues. If the other RAM you test works, then the other RAM kit is defective. If swapping in the other RAM doesnt work, then the motherboard could be defective. Troubleshooting can be tough to figure out what is bad in the system, especially RAM as there are other variables in the equation here like @Quackers101has previously mentioned in his post. 

Thanks guys, had to borrow some money to get ram from amazon. Since at least Amazon I can return with no issue. This has become so stressful, lost a day of work trying to solve this issue and trying to find out how I can borrow if needed to fix it.

stupid question but if I put one stick of 16gb ram and it passes memtest and windows memory diagnostic would that be OK?

stupid question but if I put one stick of 16gb ram and it passes memtest and windows memory diagnostic would that be OK?

there is nothing wrong if the system works and it seems okey through tests, but most systems might like dual channel (2 ram sticks) so you will just loose some performance. Also the money if you bought 2 and one didn't work.

5 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

there is nothing wrong if the system works and it seems okey through tests, but most systems might like dual channel (2 ram sticks) so you will just loose some performance. Also the money if you bought 2 and one didn't work.

Thanks at the moment I need a working PC for work, and looking at the cost of replacing a motherboard and apprehension of removing the cooler and cpu has me worried.

Thanks at the moment I need a working PC for work, and looking at the cost of replacing a motherboard and apprehension of removing the cooler and cpu has me worried.

if there is something wrong, mostly just two items? maybe.

motherboard or ram, not everything else. although stock coolers can suck but "works".

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

if there is something wrong, mostly just two items? maybe.

motherboard or ram, not everything else. although stock coolers can suck but "works".

Everything works but I do get BSODs with the two sticks, so removed 1 stick and currently on 8gb ram and so far no issues..

So wierd....

So single 16GB ram arrived, plonked it in there and passes all the test. So I then put in one of the single 8gb stick alongside and it passes the test away. Tested the other stick and it worked fine as well however, putting bother 8gb sticks together fails?

So now I have 24gb which is better than 16gb and no issues.