What material is this part of computer case made from?

John Solar System

Hey everyone. I recently cleaned the dust from my computer case and installed a new GPU holder but while doing so i made a small mistake and scratched the panel that is below the GPU holder. I want to remove the scratchings from there and found a plastic scratch remover on the net but I am wondering what exactly is this area made from? Is it plastic, acrylic or? I took the pictures before the accident happened so it is not possible to see the scratches (I got angry and immediately closed the computer case).  The computer case is Corsair 5000D Airflow. Thank you and have a nice day.

2.jpg

5.jpg

Either plastic or sheet metal. If its plastic, you should be able to find the mold marking on the inside, which usually has the type. That will determine the methods how to remove them. But I would not bother with plastic. Trying to "remove" it with mechanical means (buffing, sanding, polishing) will leave a spot. If material was removed during the scratching, you will never be able to make it nice and flush. My suggestion is: leave the scratch as is: with plastic it wont degrade any further. And is a reminder of the next time you have to deal with the GPU support. A scratch is understandable...a removal blotch is ugly. 

If its painted metal: strip the paint from that whole side (will say why this is important later). See if the metal itself got scratched. If scratched, sand the metal starting with 600 grit and reach a minimum of 1000 grit to remove the scratch. Reason you need to remove paint from the whole side: sanding (if needed) will be easier, the pre-paint cleaning will be easier and the new paint will blend in better with the old paint as the transition "line" will be on the bend. Optionally you could use primer, but most of the time not needed. Look up rattle can painting guides and follow them: first coats should be light, 2-3 coats like that. Then you can apply a bit thicker coats. A decent atuoparts store should be able to give you a close approx. black colour. I think semi gloss should do the trick.