Picking a home server OS

Hi guys, so I got a home server and I want to know what’s best for my use case.

So I have around 32 cores and 64gb ram and 8 TB ( for now ) and I want to have vms, NAS and game servers ( Minecraft modded ).

Is it just best if I just went for trueNAS scale for everything. Or promox for my VMs and TrueNAS as a VM for my NAS. 

my vms are not going to be big it’s just Kasm workspaces, maybe a little Ubuntu LTS, nothing will be using a lot of ram or anything. The thing that will use the most is probably my Minecraft modded server. 

so I’m torn between proxmox with a TrueNAS vm, or TrueNAS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler

Main Rig | I9-9900K @ All Core 5.3 1.37V | Asus 2080TI | NZXT X72 | SM951 256GB | Samsung 850 Pro 500GB | Seagate 2TB | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3200MHz | RM850I | Corsair 570X

Spoiler

Ether Server | 2x Xeon E5-2660 | Supermicro X9DR3-F | Deepcool MATREXX 55 | 128GB Toshiba THNSNJ128GCS | 2x WD 4TB Red | ECC 64GB Samsung 1RX4 PC3L-12800R

I've settled on Unraid personally for the flexibility, and I prefer running things as Dockers, more lightweight. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I've settled on Unraid personally for the flexibility, and I prefer running things as Dockers, more lightweight. 

Am I correct in thinking only TrueNAS can run things in docker not Proxmox?

Spoiler

Main Rig | I9-9900K @ All Core 5.3 1.37V | Asus 2080TI | NZXT X72 | SM951 256GB | Samsung 850 Pro 500GB | Seagate 2TB | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3200MHz | RM850I | Corsair 570X

Spoiler

Ether Server | 2x Xeon E5-2660 | Supermicro X9DR3-F | Deepcool MATREXX 55 | 128GB Toshiba THNSNJ128GCS | 2x WD 4TB Red | ECC 64GB Samsung 1RX4 PC3L-12800R

3 minutes ago, XeanWolf20 said:

Am I correct in thinking only TrueNAS can run things in docker not Proxmox?

You can run docker via Proxmox Qemu VM

1 hour ago, XeanWolf20 said:

So I have around 32 cores and 64gb ram and 8 TB ( for now ) and I want to have vms, NAS and game servers ( Minecraft modded ).

Is it just best if I just went for trueNAS scale for everything. Or promox for my VMs and TrueNAS as a VM for my NAS. 

my vms are not going to be big it’s just Kasm workspaces, maybe a little Ubuntu LTS, nothing will be using a lot of ram or anything. The thing that will use the most is probably my Minecraft modded server. 

Promox is a better hyper visor then truenas is. Scale is better than core but still has some deficiencies.

Second for Unraid here! I tried a couple of options and settled on unraid for two home servers. My primary machine handles my main storage, plex (gpu transcoding is awesome), 2 minecraft servers, home assistant running in a vm, Windows vm, VPN, etc. My second hold a backup of the primary as well as a windows VM running Blue Iris for my cameras and deepstack for AI object recognition. With VM's the hardware passthrough works really well, gpu transcoding with plex is simple to get going, docker and plug in support is great (check out community applications).

The biggest reason I went unraid was for the ease of expansion down the road and for the way it stores files. Files are not stripped across disks but rather are stored on a single disk. I had an HBA card die and was able to just plug the disks into a seperate linux machine and pull the data. This storage method has a flaw though, write speeds even with a good cpu and disks tends to sit around 50MB/s while read speeds are limited by a single disk. If you set up a cache the write speed to the server is limited by your cache drives and will be moved to the array at a later time. I put two cache drives mirrored incase of a SSD failed before the move operation could take place.

You can also set your vms, dockers, etc to only use the cache drives. I found this had a huge impact on performance since it wasn't trying to write to the array and read from a mechanical disk. Plex databases and metadata is also stored here improving loading speeds. With plex I do have it set to use ram for transcoding to save some wear and tear on the disks.

You can also set it up with a couple different operating systems and see which you prefer.

If you do go unraid check out byte my bits & space invader on youtube! They have great tips and tricks for configuring the machine and getting the most from it.

3 hours ago, voyager_ said:

Second for Unraid here! I tried a couple of options and settled on unraid for two home servers. My primary machine handles my main storage, plex (gpu transcoding is awesome), 2 minecraft servers, home assistant running in a vm, Windows vm, VPN, etc. My second hold a backup of the primary as well as a windows VM running Blue Iris for my cameras and deepstack for AI object recognition. With VM's the hardware passthrough works really well, gpu transcoding with plex is simple to get going, docker and plug in support is great (check out community applications).

The biggest reason I went unraid was for the ease of expansion down the road and for the way it stores files. Files are not stripped across disks but rather are stored on a single disk. I had an HBA card die and was able to just plug the disks into a seperate linux machine and pull the data. This storage method has a flaw though, write speeds even with a good cpu and disks tends to sit around 50MB/s while read speeds are limited by a single disk. If you set up a cache the write speed to the server is limited by your cache drives and will be moved to the array at a later time. I put two cache drives mirrored incase of a SSD failed before the move operation could take place.

You can also set your vms, dockers, etc to only use the cache drives. I found this had a huge impact on performance since it wasn't trying to write to the array and read from a mechanical disk. Plex databases and metadata is also stored here improving loading speeds. With plex I do have it set to use ram for transcoding to save some wear and tear on the disks.

You can also set it up with a couple different operating systems and see which you prefer.

If you do go unraid check out byte my bits & space invader on youtube! They have great tips and tricks for configuring the machine and getting the most from it.

The read and write speeds is the main limitation of unRAID yeah. For vms, if you are careful they the storage falls on a different disk for each vm access times aren't bad. If it is setup as cascade and multiple vms are on the same disk it will be pretty slow. With any of them, you really need to understand how the disks work. You can also replace hba cards without data loss in truenas as well. That's really only a concern with hardware raid configurations. 

Truenas also does pcie passthrough. Works great for things like blue iris.

The biggest benefit with unRAID it's that expanding is very easy. Just use your largest disk as the parity drive and you can add disks randomly to expand. For other software raid like truenas, you really need to plan it out. But access times are faster. With my 6 disks I can do over 900mbps.

5 hours ago, XeanWolf20 said:

If you want to run VM’s, a true hypervisor will be best. If you just need docker containers, unraid may be your best bet (and it has pretty solid hypervisor functionality for VM’s). The part of your post that makes me say stay clear of truenas is “8TB for now”… ZFS is not easily upgraded down the line; each vdev needs its own redundancy, and you can’t add discs to already existing vdevs. Unraid makes it much easier for add storage later since it literally is not RAID.

For VM’s and containers, regardless of where option you pick, use an SSD. Store data on your SMB/NFS shares from whatever your storage server is (truenas or unraid), but run the actual operating systems and software off of SSD’s. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 hours ago, voyager_ said:

This storage method has a flaw though, write speeds even with a good cpu and disks tends to sit around 50MB/s 

If you enable reconstruct writes it will write at the speed of your slowest disk, should be 2-3 times that. It's not on by default since it requires all drives to be spinning and unraid tends to emphasize spinning disks down to save power etc, but if you're comparing to a ZFS-based system the disks would all be running there anyway so...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

For quite a long time, I have been simply running Ubuntu Server 18.04 as my server os (back when i used an old laptop as sever), when I switched to an old desktop PC, I initially updated to Ubuntu Server 20.04 and shortly after I redid the whole thing and I am now running TrueNAS Scale as OS for the simplicity and management UI. It comes with kubernetes and the option to run VMs, which is perfect for my use case (pfsense in a VM with two dedicated NICs for the router and all other workload on kubernetes / docker containers).