I'm looking for enteprise grade m.2 nvme SSDs but I can't seem to find some.

leftymofo

Do they exist, or are they too unreliable for enterprise use?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

I don't know if there are really any out there off the top of my head, not because M.2 drives are unreliable or anything, but because they're really inconvenient for enterprise use. The only time I could see one actually being used is for a boot drive. For everything else, they can't fit that many NAND packages, they require you disassemble the entire server in order to access one, and U.2 drives exist that allow for higher density and can be front loaded into the server for easier maintenance, much better if you're setting up a storage server. 

May I ask why you're looking for an enterprise M.2 drive? 

They do exist, but as Ronothan mentioned are not all that common for the aforementioned reasons.

A quick google search reveals the Kingston DC1000B, which they claim is a M.2 enterprise boot drive. Cause... it offers... power loss protection... And i guess AES256... *yawn*

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I don't know if there are really any out there off the top of my head, not because M.2 drives are unreliable or anything, but because they're really inconvenient for enterprise use. The only time I could see one actually being used is for a boot drive. For everything else, they can't fit that many NAND packages, they require you disassemble the entire server in order to access one, and U.2 drives exist that allow for higher density and can be front loaded into the server for easier maintenance, much better if you're setting up a storage server. 

May I ask why you're looking for an enterprise M.2 drive? 

I'm looking for another company than mine, so I don't have the specifics, but my understanding is that it is a boot drive, but there is also a lot of writes on that drive. I think they are running W10 for robotics and automation. They are currently using some Samsung 970 EVO plus and are experiencing some failures, so they're looking to upgrade the drives. They were looking at the 980 Pros, but wanted to know if anything else was enteprise grade.

Thanks for your reply!