Stock fans hitting about 80c - Is it normal with a 10700?

VoiDzZ_7

So only recently have I noticed that my fans are getting louder and I thought it was my gpu so I was getting worried but after reading things I realised it was okay and it wasn't the issue but I was still concerned especially after noticing it was my CPU after all. I've had this prebuilt for about a good year and 3 or 4 months? I've been testing out my hardware through hardcore mods and shaders on minecraft and I was skeptical but everyone I asked about it was saying it's fine because that's the job of the fan but I assume it was hitting a solid 100c and I've been playing 30 mins with shaders a day for only about 2 days - to that extreme at least. I personally think the thing that made me worry the most is that my fans were going quite fast when I was hosting a server with mods and mc was crashing all the time.. I didn't think of it much but it seems relevant for this case.

TLDR: I live in the UK and it's getting really hot and my fans are faster than usual. I have 2 fans - one exhaust on the back and a stock cpu (both are stock). My CPU temps are hitting 70-80 on IDLE and when gaming its almost the same with spikes into the 90's. It's most likely been like that for the time I've used my pc (1 year and a bit).

If it's any help I can gladly send more information.

I think I also need more fans or to replace my case but I have no idea about this stuff.. maybe I just need to replace my thermal paste and deep clean it.. idk..

3 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

So only recently have I noticed that my fans are getting louder and I thought it was my gpu so I was getting worried but after reading things I realised it was okay and it wasn't the issue but I was still concerned especially after noticing it was my CPU after all. I've had this prebuilt for about a good year and 3 or 4 months? I've been testing out my hardware through hardcore mods and shaders on minecraft and I was skeptical but everyone I asked about it was saying it's fine because that's the job of the fan but I assume it was hitting a solid 100c and I've been playing 30 mins with shaders a day for only about 2 days - to that extreme at least. I personally think the thing that made me worry the most is that my fans were going quite fast when I was hosting a server with mods and mc was crashing all the time.. I didn't think of it much but it seems relevant for this case.

TLDR: I live in the UK and it's getting really hot and my fans are faster than usual. I have 2 fans - one exhaust on the back and a stock cpu (both are stock). My CPU temps are hitting 70-80 on IDLE and when gaming its almost the same with spikes into the 90's. It's most likely been like that for the time I've used my pc (1 year and a bit).

If it's any help I can gladly send more information.

I think I also need more fans or to replace my case but I have no idea about this stuff.. maybe I just need to replace my thermal paste and deep clean it.. idk..

Shader and graphics mods will not really make a difference - the GPU is going to work about as hard as it can regardless of what your throwing at it. Some things can lead to some

variability in temps due to power draw differences, but it’ll be negligible. 

70-80c at idle but the same under load is not possible. There will be drastic temp variation between idle and load. How are you measuring temps? And what are you defining as idle? 70c at idle would be a very big issue, but 70c under load would be considered normal. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Shader and graphics mods will not really make a difference - the GPU is going to work about as hard as it can regardless of what your throwing at it. Some things can lead to some

70-80c at idle but the same under load is not possible. There will be drastic temp variation between idle and load. How are you measuring temps? And what are you defining as idle? 70c at idle would be a very big issue, but 70c under load would be considered normal. 

Right now I only have my browser and MSI Center open - monitoring my temp (at 50ish right now (spikes to around 65 every now and then its kind of cooler now too here so maybe that made a difference)). 

As for the difference, honestly when I was playing minecraft (vanilla - no mods no nothing and default settings too) I was hitting around 85/90c at the peak. For the idle however that's literally when I have nothing at all (it hits around 65/75) 

And before I was getting worried about this I was running discord open with spotify and my browser and that was literally on 70~80. It's a lot more noticeable at the start too.

FYI - I'm new with computers and haven't even opened my pc to see anything. Pretty worrysome.

14 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

This is literally my monitoring thing with like one browser tab open and nothing else. Kid you not - No idea if that's bad..

Help.jpg

What's your cooler ? I don't think the 10700 used the Intel "crapstock" cooler, but if it is it's the issue, it's just a very bad cooler

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

19 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

This is literally my monitoring thing with like one browser tab open and nothing else. Kid you not - No idea if that's bad..

Help.jpg

I’d try something like coretemp. What does that report the temps at? https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Those temps are certainly high for no load… what kind of PC is this? It doesn’t make much sense that idle would be in the 50’s and 60’s but load only be 70’s and 80’s… 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

15 hours ago, PDifolco said:

What's your cooler ? I don't think the 10700 used the Intel "crapstock" cooler, but if it is it's the issue, it's just a very bad cooler

I can't tell what it is from looking at it but If you think it'll be helpful I can take a picture and post it if allowed!

15 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

I’d try something like coretemp. What does that report the temps at? https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Those temps are certainly high for no load… what kind of PC is this? It doesn’t make much sense that idle would be in the 50’s and 60’s but load only be 70’s and 80’s… 

Is there a possible way to like show you? Like a log file or something? My PC went to the 80ish degrees when I started installing it which is weird.. and its a gaming pc like I can send you the exact link of it if you want to inspect it? but yeah that's why im here its kinda really really weird..

15 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

It's an MSI pre-built - A tower I'm pretty sure

40 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

It's an MSI pre-built - A tower I'm pretty sure

Put a pic here pls 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Put a pic here pls 🙂

333.thumb.jpg.2add04555c15d930f258c5412934af68.jpg2222.thumb.jpg.c1961aafb9a9c987f5ab8dce917f6765.jpg

26 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

333.thumb.jpg.2add04555c15d930f258c5412934af68.jpg2222.thumb.jpg.c1961aafb9a9c987f5ab8dce917f6765.jpg

Haha your PC is close to the garbage bin ? That's a sign 🙂

Seriously that's the "crapstock" Intel cooler, or a MSI version of it, with a restricted ariflow case, thermals cannot be very good..

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Haha your PC is close to the garbage bin ? That's a sign 🙂

Seriously that's the "crapstock" Intel cooler, or a MSI version of it, with a restricted ariflow case, thermals cannot be very good..

ah right, how far should I move the bin then? Like across the room? - But thank you for that !!

Also what do you recommend in that case.. 😕

32 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

I’d take the side panel off and just make sure the heatsink is fully secured. Make sure all 4 screws are equally tight (don’t just go full stupid and try and crank them down super tight) but verify the cpu heatsink is mounted correctly. 

Coretemp can spit out a CSV log file, but there is no need. If it’s they warm at idle, either they heatsink really is just horrible, or it’s not mounted correctly… or potentially the thermal paste application got messed up somehow. 

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I’d take the side panel off and just make sure the heatsink is fully secured. Make sure all 4 screws are equally tight (don’t just go full stupid and try and crank them down super tight) but verify the cpu heatsink is mounted correctly. 

Coretemp can spit out a CSV log file, but there is no need. If it’s they warm at idle, either they heatsink really is just horrible, or it’s not mounted correctly… or potentially the thermal paste application got messed up somehow. 

Alright, Im on it now, silly question but where is the heatsink? Is it just the fan? It kinda sounds silly sorry about that..

Edited by VoiDzZ_7

15 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

Alright, Im on it now, silly question but where is the heatsink? Is it just the fan? It kinda sounds silly sorry about that..

The CPU heatsink is what the fan on the motherboard is connected to, yes. It’s the 4 large screws around the outside of the fan. 

17 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

But maybe if you have never done any of this before…. Be careful and cautious. 

We just want to make sure it’s not very apparently on wrong. If the screws all seem tight, it’s tight. If they are loose, you would instantly know. 

31 minutes ago, VoiDzZ_7 said:

ah right, how far should I move the bin then? Like across the room? - But thank you for that !!

Also what do you recommend in that case.. 😕

A better aircooler to start with, 6 pipes min,  I'd say something like a Deepcool AK400 $35... but not sure you have a standard board layout allowing to change the cooler (chances are that yes tho)

Then a better case but not sure you can upgrade, as the prebuilt may have proprietary crap mobo etc.. Open the side panel maybe 🙂

4 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

But maybe if you have never done any of this before…. Be careful and cautious. 

We just want to make sure it’s not very apparently on wrong. If the screws all seem tight, it’s tight. If they are loose, you would instantly know. 

Yeah they seem tight and what not not, it just looks a little wonky but idk also here are the specs exactly just in case..