So for 2023 we have a choice - bad CPU socket (Intel LGA 1700) or first gen CPU (Ryzen Zen 4) and all of the first gen problems...?

So these are our choices for the rest of 2022 and 2023...?

I highly doubt that Intel has (or will) fix the problems with its bad LGA 1700 socket in time (if ever...?) for the release of the new motherboards that are undoubtedly already manufactured.

And the new Ryzen Zen 4 CPUs with all of their undoubtedly first gen problems...

So you go for door #3, the most bad-ass Zen3 you can get your hands on. AMD has said the AM4 isn't going anywhere. The 5800X / 5900X / 5950X are plenty capable, and AMD has or is releasing a couple more. Quite frankly, after seeing Intel's dumpster fire of a cooler retention system, I may never touch an Intel again. The only reason I bothered reassembling the Lenovo workstation I recently revamped is that Lenovo at least had the sense to adopt a simple four-screw AM4-style backing plate arrangement, not this stupid lock-pin BS Intel insists on overcomplicating things with.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Yeah, getting a high end 5000 series should land you a very nice pc for the coming years. PCIe 4 has plenty bandwidth and DDR5 isn't blowing anyone's socks off just yet anyway. I mean, if something finally comes along that would saturate the bandwidth of a PCIe 4 slot, it's not going to be a GPU, and PCIe is forwards and backwards compatible, so you could always get a PCIe 5 GPU and run it on your older motherboard if you need to (until DDR5 gives you meaningful gains, I guess).

Yeah, I don't see PCIe4 and DDR5 being necessary for at least a few more years. Personally, I think until some serious cooling measures are brought about, neither are going to be viable. AM5 may be long in the tooth by the time gaming software catches up to Zen3's full potential. My 5900X doesn't even break a sweat with DDR4-3200. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, I always say.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

19 hours ago, NGamer said:

So these are our choices for the rest of 2022 and 2023...?

I highly doubt that Intel has (or will) fix the problems with its bad LGA 1700 socket in time (if ever...?) for the release of the new motherboards that are undoubtedly already manufactured.

And the new Ryzen Zen 4 CPUs with all of their undoubtedly first gen problems...

So you skip both and get someones am4 build they dumped for the new stuff from your local used marketplace.

People seem to forget that just because your cpu is 3 years old (ex ryzen 3600) doesnt mean its unusable. Even far from it most are still bad ass gaming cpu's and plenty strong to boot.

Any new esports game is either gonna be very light to run or be an absolute optimization disaster (like pubg) and in both cases a older cpu like a 3600 has no trouble at all pushing either hundreds of fps if thr gpu allows it or chugging along as best as the game allows it.

Yeah people will say a 3600 holds back a 3090 but that happens even with a 12900k. It all depends on the games. It also depends on how much fps you want an whatnot as well the moment you go past 144 its a lot of diminishing returns very quickly

Im a whore in terms of wanting the latest but man its going to be expensive having to upgrade MOBO/DDR5 and CPU all at once.  I have the 5900x on a X570 Unify right now but its about 1k for the upgrade.  $550 CPU (7900x), say $300 for a Motherboard and add another $200-300 for DDR5... damn lol.

I'd like to think I could skip a generation but leaks are showing about a 1ghz increase in clock speeds its hard for me to not want to jump right in haha... time for some Overtime at work im thinking.