Is the NZXT H510I a good case for Air Cooling?

Amalik
Go to solution Solved by Middcore,
3 minutes ago, Azrya_ said:

if you really wanted the h510 series,,try to check the h510 flow version,it have a good airflow compared to the h510i

It's only good airflow in comparison to the previous versions. NZXT just saw the modded H500/H510 front panels people were making and selling on sites like Etsy and ripped off the idea. The overall ventilation is still relatively poor. There's no good reason for the top to be so closed off the way it is. 

I'm looking to build a computer sometime this winter. With case options, I was considering the NZXT H510I because it looks astheticly pleasing and a great match for my desk. However, one thing from stopping me from adding this to my list is the solid front panel. Is the NZXT H510I a good case for air cooling, and if you do have the case set up for air cooling, how did you configure it?

No, absolutely not. These cases are notorious hotboxes.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

No, absolutely not. These cases are notorious hotboxes.

Thanks. What case would you reccomend for Air Cooling?

Just now, Amalik said:

Various models in the Phanteks Eclipse series

Fractal Meshify series

Lian Li Lancool series

Corsair 4000D Airflow or 5000D Airflow (not regular 4000D/5000D or 4000X/5000X)

If you want NZXT their new Flow 7 is much better than the oven design they've been using the past several years. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, Amalik said:

if you really wanted the h510 series,,try to check the h510 flow version,it have a good airflow compared to the h510i

3 minutes ago, Azrya_ said:

It's only good airflow in comparison to the previous versions. NZXT just saw the modded H500/H510 front panels people were making and selling on sites like Etsy and ripped off the idea. The overall ventilation is still relatively poor. There's no good reason for the top to be so closed off the way it is. 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

yeah,that's why i said "if you're really wanted the h510 series/version"

44 minutes ago, Amalik said:

If you are dead set on the h510 they have a flow version which helps a lot. Still worse airflow compared to other cheaper cases but if you are dead set on the looks thats an option.

I am really liking my Lian Li O11 Air Mini. About 70C for both CPU and 3080 ftw3 at full tilt

Phanteks P400A Mesh is a dream to build in (I've built a dozen rigs in it) and has great fan config options. With a bit of jiggery-pokery you can get 2x140+120 in the front with dual 140s in the top plus the 120 rear exhaust. Additionally it's usually on sale for 60$, though I've gotten slightly different skus for as little as 40

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Maybe it's just me being a total NZXT fanboy, but the hate for NZXT cases is entirely misplaced. 
I have an h500i, which I bought to replace an S340, and I love it. It's quiet and my Ryzen 7 3800X and Vega 56 stay perfectly cool under load. My CPU only hits about 60c (I have an NZXT Kraken X63 cooling it), and my GPU stays in the 60-65c range. Granted, my Vega 56 is Sapphire's Pulse variant, which had a smaller PCB and a full size heatsink with an open back, and I suspect that's a big reason for the frigid temps. 

For case fans, I only use the two on my radiator as intakes, and a single 120mm rear exhaust. I use NZXT CAM to control my fans, and I set them for positive pressure. All 3 of my case fans are linked to my CPU temp, and the rear exhaust is off most of the time. It only turns on when my CPU hits 60c. Most of the time, my intakes/rad fans are set to run at 40%, and those get kicked up a few notches at 60c when the rear exhaust turns on as well. This maintains positive pressure, and keeps my case super clean. I rarely dust it out because dust just... doesn't get in there. I pop the filter out, blow it off with some compressed air and that's it. 

Is the airflow as good as other cases designed specifically to be as full of holes and fan mounts as possible? No. But they're largely fine for the vast majority of people, case snobs and youtubers excluded.

EDIT: By the way, I noticed you asked about air cooling specifically. The Kraken X63 is a relatively recent upgrade. I've had the case across two builds (I had my old 6600k and R9 390 in this case (that card could easily hit 70c under load), and I used to use CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo coolers on my processors exclusively. My temps were roughly the same. I generally don't OC my components, and I bought the Kraken cooler for aesthetic purposes. 

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

13 hours ago, Kevin_Walter said:

big reason for the frigid temps. 

Basically the only reason as this pretty much perfectly fits the airfloe pattern of a h500/h510. Normal none big passthrough cards have a very rough time.

I sadly have a lot of experience with the h500 series (I recently had to basically beg random people on the internet to take em away for free as I had 18 left in storage from caseswapping still :p) and the moment you go to upper tier hardware they basically faceplant really hard.

Midrange and upper midrange system with proper cooling in a room that doesnt get too hot are normally totally fine.

Also for people that arent just gaming but do load their cpu and or gpu to 100% (rendering at whatnot) this case is then a terrible option too.

It has its place but when its use can be avoided or substituted I will always advocate for it

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Basically the only reason as this pretty much perfectly fits the airfloe pattern of a h500/h510. Normal none big passthrough cards have a very rough time.

I sadly have a lot of experience with the h500 series (I recently had to basically beg random people on the internet to take em away for free as I had 18 left in storage from caseswapping still :p) and the moment you go to upper tier hardware they basically faceplant really hard.

Midrange and upper midrange system with proper cooling in a room that doesnt get too hot are normally totally fine.

Also for people that arent just gaming but do load their cpu and or gpu to 100% (rendering at whatnot) this case is then a terrible option too.

It has its place but when its use can be avoided or substituted I will always advocate for it

Sure, but my R9 390 peaked around 75c in my h500i and that was during stress testing. The 390 was far from a cool card, too.

And of course you couldn't get rid of a stockpile of cases you were recommending people not to use. I'm not sure why that would be a surprise. Lol

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

40 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Sure, but my R9 390 peaked around 75c in my h500i and that was during stress testing. The 390 was far from a cool card, too.

And of course you couldn't get rid of a stockpile of cases you were recommending people not to use. I'm not sure why that would be a surprise. Lol

Not really related my recommendation vs me putting them online for randoms to come get. Seems they are just not that in demand :p.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Not really related my recommendation vs me putting them online for randoms to come get. Seems they are just not that in demand :p.

I mean... if you compare the number of ratings on Amazon between any of NZXT's cases to any of the alternatives listed in this thread, NZXT seems to have quite a few more. Specifically, their h510 series of cases have almost 30,000 reviews maintaining a 4.5 star rating. 

So we can either say that they're botting reviews or something... or maybe they're not as unpopular as you're trying to say they are. 

Let's be honest. You go over to pretty much any PC showoff subreddit, you'll find an NZXT case within 5 posts. They're popular for a reason. Aesthetically pleasing, have a lot of nice features that makes building in them easy, and they're not extremely expensive (unlike some of NZXT's other products). 

Just now, Kevin_Walter said:

I mean... if you compare the number of ratings on Amazon between any of NZXT's cases to any of the alternatives listed in this thread, NZXT seems to have quite a few more. Specifically, their h510 series of cases have almost 30,000 reviews maintaining a 4.5 star rating. 

So we can either say that they're botting reviews or something... or maybe they're not as unpopular as you're trying to say they are. 

Let's be honest. You go over to pretty much any PC showoff subreddit, you'll find an NZXT case within 5 posts. They're popular for a reason. Aesthetically pleasing, have a lot of nice features that makes building in them easy, and they're not extremely expensive (unlike some of NZXT's other products). 

I'm talking about used. They aren't as in demand as used cases in great condition for 25€ a piece.

course these things are popular they are like a posterchild for gaming pcs.

7 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Let's be honest. You go over to pretty much any PC showoff subreddit, you'll find an NZXT case within 5 posts. 

Yep, they were the "basic" case before the Corsair 4000D/5000D took over.

Spoiler

The Lian Li O11 series is the go-to for people with more PC knowledge but no more imagination or taste

Spoiler

trollface.jpg

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

The Lian Li O11 series is the go-to for people with more PC knowledge but no more imagination or taste

giphy.gif

/s

They really are great cases, I just don't like how popular they've become. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

They really are great cases, I just don't like how popular they've become. 

They made them in different colors, which is cool. Everybody just gets the white ones though, so... 

On 7/28/2022 at 6:17 PM, Middcore said:

Yep, they were the "basic" case before the Corsair 4000D/5000D took over.

Hide contents

Hide contents

trollface.jpg

I don't think it's necessarily that they were basic, I think they offered a lot of options for people looking to build something that looked nice without spending $250 on a case. NZXT can probably be credited with popularizing things like the PSU shroud and cable management bars that hide the wires being routed from behind the motherboard. They may not have been the first to do things like that, but these features became ubiquitous quickly after they started doing it. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

I don't think it's necessarily that they were basic

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Basic

It was probably good enough for when it was released.
Will it survives future gens of parts? most likely not.

3080 vram temp already can be deadly even with a decent airflow case.

And if there is such things as true future-proofing part in PC building, it's most likely PC case. 🤣

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.