Resetting Windows to new drive

TheGreatSora

Not sure if this belongs here, if not please tell me

On Windows 10

I have recently bought an M.2 drive and i'd like to move my operating system to it. I'd like to also do a complete reset of my system. 

Currently I'm thinking of resetting my windows then migrating it using a migration tool to the M.2.

Is there a better/easier way to do it? 

Thanks!

Why do you want to do a reset?

If it's because you are having issues, you'd probably want to do a fresh install of Windows.

You can always use the free version of Macrium Reflect to clone the drive.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

2 minutes ago, Cypher64 said:

Why do you want to do a reset?

If it's because you are having issues, you'd probably want to do a fresh install of Windows.

You can always use the free version of Macrium Reflect to clone the drive.

I backed up all my stuff and have a lot of random programs and files that i don't really need. its more to clean up rather than having problems. 

but if a fresh install would be better I can do that too i guess

Just now, TheGreatSora said:

I backed up all my stuff and have a lot of random programs and files that i don't really need. its more to clean up rather than having problems. 

but if a fresh install would be better I can do that too i guess

I'm not against cloning or doing Windows resets, but I still prefer a nice, clean install.

With a decent modern computer a reinstall to working windows is 10mins. Extract Windows key, do the Windows install, run windows updates, run your favorite driver installer (I like driver booster 9 free) and install the applications you need/want. That way you know you aren't' carrying anything over from your old build.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

I agree, if your plan is to just wipe the whole drive anyways, just preform a clean install. There are dozens of tutorials that can walk you through the process. You'll also likely find your system performance will increase a touch if you do the clean install as well. 

I recently got an M.2 Drive for a prebuilt of mine since the PC came with the OS on a Hard Drive. What I did was completely unplug my stock HDD with the Windows OS on it (after backing everything up and extracting my Windows key of course) then putting in the M.2 drive and installing Windows via the instillation media tool you can get for free on Microsoft's website. I then set the boot order to boot off of the SSD first, and once I did that it just started using the SSD to boot into Windows. All I had to do from there is just wipe the HDD and have a clean slate. Only took an afternoon of work, not hard especially in the era of YouTube.

With all this in mind, a Reset isn't a bad option, just seems like since you're here you might as well reinstall windows. Don't be scared to do a reinstallation, we're always here if you need help.

14 minutes ago, Cypher64 said:

I'm not against cloning or doing Windows resets, but I still prefer a nice, clean install.

With a decent modern computer a reinstall to working windows is 10mins. Extract Windows key, do the Windows install, run windows updates, run your favorite driver installer (I like driver booster 9 free) and install the applications you need/want. That way you know you aren't' carrying anything over from your old build.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

Alright. What you guys are saying makes sense. thanks for the help ^^