Crazy Idea

So... Some backstory.

This is an idea that I had for watercooling my system (5800X, 6900XT). It holds just shy of 1 gallon of water in just the parts shown with water in Watercooling mockup v1 v19.stl. The large block at the front is a 58mm thick Radiator (fans on other side of the fan cage), the top is a 44mm thick radiator with 25mm thick fans (normal size). The main idea behind this is to minimize tubing. 

All of my measurements should be pretty accurate... as long as I didn't screw up converting pixels to mm when I was placing fitting holes for graphics and cpu. Definitely an area I could have messed up on but hey... soft tubing!

I do have a couple of issues with this design currently... mostly the flow meter but I have concerns about my pumps and their mounting and whether or not they will interfere with each other or be interfered with by the setup of the transition from the distro block to the psu block. I intend on adding o-ring channels soon. I also still need to add the outlet for the GPU... just need to figure out where on the tank that needs to go because I would like that tube the be short and straight.

This is designed to fit in the front of a Corsair 7000D, in the motherboard tray fan area (with all of those brackets and things removed, and a slight mod to the case. There are lips at the top and bottom that need to be cut out to fit this.)

I was considering getting this resin printed, which is why the reservoir has such odd geometry in the bottom while also being enclosed. It wouldn't be much of an issue to slice the "sandwich plate" back off for making it out of acrylic instead.

If Linus or someone from his team sees this and wants to use this in a video - have at it! I can upload these files in other formats if needed as well, or if anybody is interested in playing with this.

Pump Plate v1.stl PSU Reservoir Top v1.stl Distroplate Reservoir v2.stl PSU Reservoir v2.stl Distroplate v1.stl Flowmeter Impeller v1.stl

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

Can you post images? These are all stl files.

Spoiler

2038402600_Watercoolingmockupv1v21Back.thumb.png.7ac55a8dc7634138f240906a16d92702.png1561043902_Watercoolingmockupv1v21-Front.thumb.png.d5d3b6f9820a30a961237ae8c5e4eeb0.png1840191858_Distroplatev2-Front.thumb.png.6396de68f34199a7f0719872edb51955.png1006192728_FlowmeterImpellerv1.thumb.png.f51a448ae8c6b58729ff920a9aa58480.png1519028792_PSUReservoirv3-Back(Plug).thumb.png.51bad5ca8008c4cbb6168e752e8ccd8b.png36985856_PSUReservoirTopv2.thumb.png.bb725bc61754c8cac4af569a65248e08.png1180346945_PumpPlatev2.thumb.png.205936d62ecb18424a82c90f4ebcd01a.png978412080_PumpPlatev2Back.thumb.png.5e7ada499b33216fb6cf9e567582f688.pngDistroplate Reservoir v3(Back).pngDistroplate Reservoir v3.pngDistroplate Reservoir v3 Front (full).png

1840191858_Distroplatev2-Front.thumb.png.6396de68f34199a7f0719872edb51955.png.71e151897ae283f3442f6cf85ba0ee68.png

I should explain this thing... Obviously it's the distribution plate component of all of this, and the core of the entire thing. 2 pumps feeding up into the PSU Reservoir - there are 2 o-rings on the part that inserts into the large hole at the end of the pump's channel. The inlets for the pumps run all the way through to the main reservoir. The GPU comes into this above the large hole (2 holes up, the one directly above the large hole is for a thermoprobe). It exits at the bottom hole above the right pump and feeds into the nearest port on the front radiator. That then enters the block just above the GPU Exit and flows to the upper left fitting to the CPU. That feeds directly into the top radiator on the outer port. Exits the radiator and enters the last channel with the flow meter and mini reservoir. The plate between distribution and the main reservoir serves as the guide of these channels.

Why did I go with 2 Pumps? I know that is a question that is going to be asked so here is the answer...

I felt like it looked awkward with just one pump.

1 hour ago, LordKitsune said:

I should explain this thing... Obviously it's the distribution plate component of all of this, and the core of the entire thing. 2 pumps feeding up into the PSU Reservoir - there are 2 o-rings on the part that inserts into the large hole at the end of the pump's channel. The inlets for the pumps run all the way through to the main reservoir. The GPU comes into this above the large hole (2 holes up, the one directly above the large hole is for a thermoprobe). It exits at the bottom hole above the right pump and feeds into the nearest port on the front radiator. That then enters the block just above the GPU Exit and flows to the upper left fitting to the CPU. That feeds directly into the top radiator on the outer port. Exits the radiator and enters the last channel with the flow meter and mini reservoir. The plate between distribution and the main reservoir serves as the guide of these channels.

Why did I go with 2 Pumps? I know that is a question that is going to be asked so here is the answer...

I felt like it looked awkward with just one pump.

The two pumps running in parallel was probably not a great idea, if one dies, the working pump will push water through the broken pump in reverse essentially creating a large bypass. So you don't get any redundancy from having the 2 pumps, and you don't gain head pressure. Assuming you change the pump layout to series instead, i gathered its a very specific use case distro-plate, which I think is fine.

6 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The two pumps running in parallel was probably not a great idea, if one dies, the working pump will push water through the broken pump in reverse essentially creating a large bypass. So you don't get any redundancy from having the 2 pumps, and you don't gain head pressure. Assuming you change the pump layout to series instead, i gathered its a very specific use case distro-plate, which I think is fine.

I basically always agree with what you say.

There's no reason to run pumps in parallel, if you want redundancy you still run series.  However building redundancy for pumps isn't even necessary really.  D5's last pretty much forever if they're never run dry and even if a pump fails it's not like a nuclear reactor where your PC will be damaged.  Stuff thermal throttles and eventually windows will crash and shut down.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

just a note... if yer using distro plate, try not to use opaque coolants

i just cleanup 1 customer distro plate with ek mystic fog...

disassembling & cleaning not an issue,

it's a PITA making sure o-rings stays in place during reassembling

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

On 7/28/2022 at 6:24 AM, fonzz1e said:

just a note... if yer using distro plate, try not to use opaque coolants

i just cleanup 1 customer distro plate with ek mystic fog...

disassembling & cleaning not an issue,

it's a PITA making sure o-rings stays in place during reassembling

My intent is to run clear coolants only, with lighting providing the coloring. I want this to be as "easy" as possible for as PITA as I know it will be considering what I want to do lol

On 7/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

I basically always agree with what you say.

There's no reason to run pumps in parallel, if you want redundancy you still run series.  However building redundancy for pumps isn't even necessary really.  D5's last pretty much forever if they're never run dry and even if a pump fails it's not like a nuclear reactor where your PC will be damaged.  Stuff thermal throttles and eventually windows will crash and shut down.

On 7/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, For Science! said:

I wasn't thinking when I made them, other than about how it looked aesthetically. Besides to keep cable runs short and seeing what effect a radiator between the two heat generating components has on temperatures of the loop overall. I plan on making a couple of changes anyways so I'll see what I can do for rerouting the pump.

Sadly, as this is my first ever 3D model, I made some mistakes with how I did the entire project, so it is nightmare fuel to go back in the project and make changes. It can be done, but I would rather go back and do it right. That said, I do feel like this is what I was going for overall.

I also have vague plans of some induced cooling nonsense in the future but that's... we'll let's leave it there for now. It is a big part of the reason I have that thermoprobe spot.

This is going to look really nice I think. Very much like the idea of "less tubes" for sure. 

Posting a picture so people can see it. Some are scared to click & DL stuff, but here it is. No Fear.

Please come back and update or start a build log thread. I'd like to follow it.

image.thumb.png.ba413c67969dfb884af65937543bf1f4.png

@Guest 5150I'm rendering images of V2 right now. I'll post em when they are done. I've changed quite a bit. The entire thing is larger in a lot of ways, holding nearly 2 gallons on just the parts I've designed. The PSU res... well that was a time. I realized after finishing the distro plate and the psu res that I had moved the interface hole on the distro down... So I had to remake the PSU Res again.

If you want, I can also upload the 3d files themselves.

I looked at Acrylic prices for blocks that are cut to size (minus the notch at the bottom and on the side). This would cost $500-$600 for acrylic. Getting it milled... idk. Custom gaskets for this probably wouldn't be too expensive but I haven't looked. Probably $20-$30 in screws. That impeller I could get 3D printed for like $15. Probably $1000 for the custom parts, and another $500-$600 for tubing and whatnot. $2000-$2500 is what I would bet this cost in total - just a guestimation though.

44 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

@Guest 5150I'm rendering images of V2 right now. I'll post em when they are done. I've changed quite a bit. The entire thing is larger in a lot of ways, holding nearly 2 gallons on just the parts I've designed. The PSU res... well that was a time. I realized after finishing the distro plate and the psu res that I had moved the interface hole on the distro down... So I had to remake the PSU Res again.

If you want, I can also upload the 3d files themselves.

I looked at Acrylic prices for blocks that are cut to size (minus the notch at the bottom and on the side). This would cost $500-$600 for acrylic. Getting it milled... idk. Custom gaskets for this probably wouldn't be too expensive but I haven't looked. Probably $20-$30 in screws. That impeller I could get 3D printed for like $15. Probably $1000 for the custom parts, and another $500-$600 for tubing and whatnot. $2000-$2500 is what I would bet this cost in total - just a guestimation though.

Designs takes trial and errors. Expect it. So that 2500 bucks might be on the low side. 

But why 2 gallons of liquid. That's 8 pounds a gallon, this thing might need a fork truck to move. Have a Silverstone TJ07. Believe me I know!!

19 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Designs takes trial and errors. Expect it. So that 2500 bucks might be on the low side. 

But why 2 gallons of liquid. That's 8 pounds a gallon, this thing might need a fork truck to move. Have a Silverstone TJ07. Believe me I know!!

Why 2 gallons? Takes longer for it to heat up with that much fluid in it. Also, if someone were to try and steal it they better be hella determined.

The weight of the acrylic is going to be about 40lbs before machining. I suspect I will have about 30lbs left after, then 16lbs of liquid. Not to mention radiators and blocks, plus the fluid those will hold. *According to Fusion360 - the weight of the 6 items = 14.078lbs

Back (Zoomed in, drain plug).png

Back (Zoomed out, top view).png

Back.png

Front.PNG

Side.png

I didn't feel like designing the entire case... that would have taken ages.