3080 FE crashing issues but runs stress tests fine

ToneStar

I obtained a used 3080 FE today, I don't know its history.

I can run the valley benchmark at lower resolutions just fine but when I bump it to higher it will crash, I can run the furmark stress test and the EVGA and MSI stress tests just fine, I ran VMT with no issues.

When I play any modern game it crashes immediately or if I crank up say valley to 4k level resolution.  I can play older games like HL2 without it crashing.  It seems like it might be a memory usage issue or something to that effect.  Odd thing is on some lower resolutions of valley if I turn off vsync it will crash as well but other times it runs fine without vsync off.

Any ideas what could be the issue, I am thinking maybe its a memory chip but not sure.  The heat levels seem ok and running the stress tests cranks up the heat and fans but no crashes.

did you want to list any of the other systems specs or psu make and model

5900x  CPU
Asrock x570 taichi
1000 watt corsair psu

It worked fine with 1080tis and a 6700xt.

1 thing that just happened it made my battery backup beep from overload, I was thinking of tomorrow trying to just plug it direct into the wall and updating my motherboard bios.

I wiped out the drivers, have the latest drivers installed. Tried underclocking and capping volting at 1, cranking up the fans etc.  Going to try reapplying thermal paste and not using the battery backup.

Any ideas, haven't had a chance to do anymore testing.

Updated the bios on my motherboard to the latest and it seems to be working with defaut clocks and motheboard settings now

Ok nevermind still crashing it seems to run valley now every time though but crashes on doom cyberpunk and 50 50 on unengine super.

Put my 6700xt back in and it worked perfectly

I think this has fixed my issue turning off these settings.  Haven't tested a ton but seems to be working good now.

This definitely fixed the problem if anyone else runs into black screens on their 3080 I highly recommend doing whats in that reddit thread.