RTX2080 says it is plugged in to DVI when plugged in with HDMI???

RollinLower

So, i really need some help here.

I recently sold a 2080 to someone. When it left my hands, this card was 100% functional

The buyer went ahead and installed it in his system, but Nvidia control panel shows it is connected to DVI while in reality it is connected with HDMI to a Denon AMP and in turn from the AMP into a TV.

DVI.jpg.bc649d519df5ea16315ffe5e5c2aa709.jpg

Things we tried:

- DDU and re-install of drivers

- different cable, different display

- remove the Denon, just straight into the display

- change aspect ratio's

but nothing!

I'm at a loss here. Does anyone have a suggestion? If not, i will just buy the GPU back again.

I mean, is this actually a problem? Is it limiting functionality in any way? DVI and HDMI v1.1(?) were electrically compatible with each other, HDMI was just a smaller connector with more potential, so what's likely happening is that an old version of HDMI is being used by the monitor (1080p60 will run on really old HDMI revisions) and the driver is just misinterpreting it as DVI. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, is this actually a problem? Is it limiting functionality in any way? DVI and HDMI v1.1(?) were electrically compatible with each other, HDMI was just a smaller connector with more potential, so what's likely happening is that an old version of HDMI is being used by the monitor (1080p60 will run on really old HDMI revisions) and the driver is just misinterpreting it as DVI. 

forgot to quote, bump 👆

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

it is currently limiting resolution to 1080P. this same setup worked on iGPU to display 4K.

Ok, that's odd. Have you tried creating a custom resolution to see if you can get it to run 4K that way? Only other thing I can think of is maybe try using a DP to HDMI adapter instead. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ok, that's odd. Have you tried creating a custom resolution to see if you can get it to run 4K that way? Only other thing I can think of is maybe try using a DP to HDMI adapter instead. 

custom resolutions don't seem to work. still limited to 1080 here.

I've seen this happen before, but it did not impede function so I didn't pursue a fix for it.

DVI carries video but no audio, so does the buyer's display have speakers and can it output audio? If the connection is serving everything except not allowing proper resolution, it might be an issue with the driver. Though you did say you used DDU

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

53 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I've seen this happen before, but it did not impede function so I didn't pursue a fix for it.

DVI carries video but no audio, so does the buyer's display have speakers and can it output audio? If the connection is serving everything except not allowing proper resolution, it might be an issue with the driver. Though you did say you used DDU

jup, multiple passes with DDU, and reinstalls straight from Nvidia without Geforce Experience.

The Denon reciever is also set to the correct HDMI standard.