New startup begins implanting Neural interfaces that enables communication from paralyzed patients

williamcll

Stentrodeclosup-1_2021-12-05-205424_qcaf.webp

Managed to be one step ahead of Elon's Neuralink project, this company has begin installing BCIs to people which allows them to use the internet through thoughts alone.

Quotes

On July 6 a doctor at the Mount Sinai West medical center in New York threaded a 1.5-inch-long implant made up of wires and electrodes into a blood vessel in the brain of a patient with ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The hope is that the patient, who’s lost the ability to move and speak, will be able to surf the web and communicate via email and text simply by thinking—the device will translate his thoughts into commands sent to a computer. Synchron, the startup behind the technology, has already implanted its devices in four patients in Australia, who haven’t experienced side effects and have been able to carry out such tasks as sending WhatsApp messages and making online purchases. The recent procedure was the first the company has done in the US, putting it ahead of competitors including Elon Musk’s Neuralink Corp. “This surgery was special because of its implications and huge potential,” says Dr. Shahram Majidi, the neurointerventional surgeon who performed it.

A doctor makes an incision in the patient’s neck and feeds the stentrode via a catheter through the jugular vein into a blood vessel nestled within the motor cortex. As the catheter is removed, the stentrode—a cylindrical, hollow wire mesh—opens up and begins to fuse with the outer edges of the vessel. According to Majidi, the process is very similar to implanting a coronary stent and takes just a few minutes. A second procedure then connects the stentrode via a wire to a computing device implanted in the patient’s chest. To do this, the surgeon must create a tunnel for the wire and a pocket for the device underneath the patient’s skin, much like what’s done to accommodate a pacemaker. The stentrode reads the signals when neurons fire in the brain, and the computing device amplifies those signals and sends them out to a computer or smartphone via Bluetooth. Although this may make some people squeamish, it’s far less invasive than the current state-of-the-art technology, known as the Utah array, which requires doctors to cut the scalp and drill into the skull to place rigid needles in the brain. Those then attach to a lime-size device placed on top of a person’s head.

In the months and years ahead, Synchron aims to shrink the size of its devices while increasing their computing power. If it’s successful, the company would be able to place numerous stentrodes in each patient in different parts of the brain, allowing them to perform more functions. Oxley expects that his technology will help generate a flood of new data and insights into how the brain works and could lead to breakthroughs with a number of disorders, including mental health issues. “I feel like we are at the beginning of a renaissance around brain decoding,” he says.

My thoughts

I have no mouth and I must whatsapp 

That said, this is a pretty good step in BCI communication. Hope they can start routing nerves soon.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-18/brain-computer-interface-company-implants-new-type-of-device

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

can't wait for the next form of ransomware, where instead of it encrypting your files, it encrypts your memories!

this is a good idea, but does it HAVE to be connected to the internet? thats just asking for trouble...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Managed to be one step ahead of Elon's Neuralink project

Probably because neuralink is a bullshit PR stunt project that seems more interested in torturing monkeys than delivering a product.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

can't wait for the next form of ransomware, where instead of it encrypting your files, it encrypts your memories!

this is a good idea, but does it HAVE to be connected to the internet? thats just asking for trouble...

Like in Ghost in the Shell ? 🙂

Laughing_man.jpg.b440c5942bd02bbdc0ca49f13bf01bf2.jpg

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

I've see this stuff before as in WIP but yeah cool but not when anything to do with internet or company owning the implant in some way.

Reminds me of Deus Ex and GitS though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The U.S. army will find ways to use this to save the world from communist nazi zombies that they made up.

17 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

Where is this stated? Don't see it in the article. Maybe I missed it.

1 hour ago, ouroesa said:

Where is this stated? Don't see it in the article. Maybe I missed it.

It literally says the goal is to allow them to surf the web and communicate through email and text. 

So it doesn’t say that....you are 'misinterpreting' what is stated. Nowhere is stated that the device will not function without an internet connection. Similar to saying a keyboard HAS to be connected to the internet because it has a web browser shortcut key. It should still function perfectly without internet and can possibly be used for a myriad of other things.
The way I read it, it simply a links to a Bluetooth device to simulate inputs (input device) - "the device will translate his thoughts into commands sent to a computer".

Tired of people incorrectly assuming/interpreting things just to complain, if you are going to do that, at least do it for good.